Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #61
Veteran Member

I think I read that the synch on the PZ-1 was 1/250th.Why do manufacturers delete options that worked on a previous model?

Last edited by tabl10s; 08-31-2012 at 08:33 AM.
08-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery
Mainly because of cost, it costs more to produce a faster shutter assembly that is reliable.
08-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Not so in the PZ-1?
08-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #64
Inactive Account

Just a little thought if wanting to use the servo manual mode on the Metz (50 and 58)... the pre flash suppression (recent firmware update) which allows the flash to be used in the 'dumb' mode will only work well and consistently at 1/4 power or less when triggered wirelessly using the camera internal flash. It has something to do with the higher flash output needing more time to prepare than what the camera can give. Pentax have stated that this 'dumb' Servo mode was originally designed so that the flash capabilities could be used by other cameras etc.

I can confirm after testing that at 1/4 power (or less) the flash works flawlessly in Servo on the K5 but at 1/2 it works intermittently and at 1/1 power, regularly fails to fire correctly at all. (However Pttl mode works fine for me in all situations). (Would need a better trigger system to get the full benefit of full power Servo unfortunately)

08-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #65

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Not so in the PZ-1?
Most likely it was a main factor for the PZ-1 cost at launch. Back then Pentax was still very strong in the SLR market and could capitalize on it's market share despite high costs, but if you look at the current market the competition for the most part keeps prices down and has a lot of market presence, Pentax can ill afford to produce cameras that are priced too much over the competition (case in point, look at all the flak the K-5 got over the fact that it cost more than de Nikon D7000 at launch). Corners are being cut all the time on all brands, and perhaps Pentax decided to focus on small, robust bodies rather than faster shutters. To be perfectly honest there are certainly times I wished I could sync faster, but it doesn't happen all that often.
09-19-2012, 03:47 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
I have the Metz 58 AF-2 and use it with the K7 and k-x. Occasional washout, but mostly great. I set the secondary flash to 1/2, 1/4 or off when bouncing the flash. The secondary is pretty powerful if your subjects are close.

I usually shoot in A mode, but have used PTTL and manual, as well as HSS. I usually have one or two over/under exposures. I use the ISO to get the right exposure. As someone said above, ISO1000 is pretty high. I start at 200-340, and go as high as 800 and as low as 100.

I recently started using the 'Rogue FlashBenders ROGUERELG Large Positionable Reflector' I purchased at a local Camera shop. It worked well.

Bill
well since flash is influenced only by aperture and iso there is no way you'll get correct exposure with high iso and large aperture, you'll end up with a blown away subject, in a run and gun situation indoors I find that I can't touch the aperture shooting in P-mode, in other words if I need a shutter speed of at least 1/80 I'll end up shooting at f/22 iso6400 for a correct flash exposure in a candle lit room and having balanced ambient light (well more or less)
The other way to go is in manual mode, but not god for a run and gun situation.
If anybody has anyother suggestions I'll appreciate them.
07-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 123jippo Quote
I just realized something is badly missing in Metz 58 AF-2. There is no way to connect radiotrigger using plug, no P/C or minijack connectors. Only hot shoe triggering...
Many radio triggers, like the Cactus V5, allow you to trigger a flash via the hot shoe.

What's wrong with that?