Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
rlatjsrud

Boston!

Next Friday, I'll be at Boston for trip. It is first time to go there about 1 week!

but I'm not sure that WHERE do I have to visit or good spot to take photos.

anyway I'm so excited with my Pentax camera + 16-50.

Any recommended place for Boston trip???

03-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I went there in 2008 for a work trip, so my knowledge is a bit old. Get on the Trolley Tour and it will take you most of the places you might want to see. Museums, the aquarium, Faneuil Hall and the Quincy Market, the Bunker Hill Monument, USS Cassin Young and USS Constitution, Boston Common, Old State House, the Paul Revere House and Old North Church, Copps Hill burial ground, Charles River Esplanade, the Freedom Trail, Cheers, Fenway Park. Cambridge. Nearby is Salem. You won't have the problem I did; October 30 is a bad day to visit Salem. Crowded and all the nuts were out in force! I went with friends from work. It was hilarious -- Michael and I trying to find our way back to the van with duelling GPS devices while Linda and Laurie were waiting. If you stop by Salem, skip the Witch History and Pirate Museums. Totally boring and filled with truly creepy mannequins. Take extra time if you want to get into the House of the Seven Gables.

My pictures are with an old Pentax Optio and not the greatest (my coworkers tolerated my camera habit,) but if you're interested, check out my Flickr sets:
Boston
Salem
03-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #3

I thought the gas light district was very cool. There is a lot to see in Boston, enjoy your trip!
03-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #4

Boston Picture Spots

Hi, I live outside of Boston. A few places that I would recommend are:
  • Boston Common
    Greenery, skyline, Make Way for Ducklings ducks
  • Back Bay
    Old, old Boston with narrow cobblestone streets
  • Newbury Street
    The old stone/brick church next to the glass John Hancock building. Nice contrast of old and new.
  • The New England Aquarium/Rose Wharf area
    Free outdoor seal exhibit, expensive hotel and harbor pictures
  • Take the harbor cruise
    Good waterfront pictures, airplanes at Logan fly low over the water
  • Duck Tour
    WWII duck trucks, good tour that sits high above the road without windows
  • Faneuil Hall
    Just a fun place to visit, shop eat and drink at (near aquarium)
Just a few ideas. Enjoy your stay.

Last edited by plennon; 03-29-2012 at 07:16 AM.
03-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Duck tour, waterfront, old street in back bay/beacon hill, skylines from the cambridge side of the charles river.
Would help a lot if you could say what kind of stuff you like photographing...
03-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Things to see:

Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market: Good for street and people shots, usually lots of people there, especially on weekends.

Customs House Tower: Just around the corner from Faneuil Hall, you can go up to the 26th floor observation deck at 2pm every day (except Friday), for a $3 donation to charity. Great views of the harbor, North End, the Greenway, and downtown towers.

Bunker Hill Monument: The Charlestown terminus of the Freedom Trail, you can walk to the top of the monument (lots of steps), and get skyline shots that you can't get from anywhere else in the city.

Freedom Trail: A three mile long trail through the city that goes by many historic sites in Boston relating to the Revolution.

Beacon Hill: Old scenic houses that are great for classic shots.
03-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my 2 cents worth... the jfk museum John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum
also, the navy yard..
Boston Naval Shipyard, featured in Maritime History of Massachusetts--A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

enjoy beantown. !!!!
p.s. almost forgot.... go to the north end (little italy)....
dave m

07-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #8

Seeing as we're well known for history here in Boston, I don't think there's any reason for you to skip the Freedom Trail! Especially if you have a camera; you learn so much in such a short time about Boston and the American Revolution! Don't forget to check out Boston theaters as well. Seeing a show at the Wang Theater is a great experience.