Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #1

About to jump...

...on the K5 bandwagon. Is it really worth an upgrade from K-X? or is it better pair the K-X with Da 70?

I will shoot low light/portraits and still images with the set-up and i love sharp, crisp pics with smooth 3D bokeh...

Help pls... am giving myself less than 1 week.. tic tac tic tac

03-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
...on the K5 bandwagon. Is it really worth an upgrade from K-X? or is it better pair the K-X with Da 70?

I will shoot low light/portraits and still images with the set-up and i love sharp, crisp pics with smooth 3D bokeh...

Help pls... am giving myself less than 1 week.. tic tac tic tac
Bought myself a K-r dec. last year ... shot myself in THA head 8 weeks later .. found out i really like to take pics...
But wil not shell out any $$ for a K5 ... there are to manny roumors around that lead my to believe the follow-up of the K5 is comming withinn a year ...

I'm gone wait ... and make the most out of my K-r untill then.

Hope this helps ...
03-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

THe K-5 is a great camera. I have the K-X before and love the K-X but the K-5 is in a class by himself
03-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The bokeh stays the same because it's the lens that does it.

The K5 can work well in low light, it's better then the Kx in that aspect but the AF is sometimes a bit problematic at low light but i never had much problems with it.
You can wait for the camera that replace the K5 but it will cost you a lot more then the K5 cost at the moment.
The real question is if the K5 will make enough difference for you to spend the money on it?

03-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
The bokeh stays the same because it's the lens that does it.

You can wait for the camera that replace the K5 but it will cost you a lot more then the K5 cost at the moment.
If the follow-up is not a major improvement over the K5 you can always decide to buy that K5 then .. prolly cheaper then right now
It all comes down to .. what do you want?
03-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
hi Thoran, anvh and bobmaxja.
my situation is i dont have much to spend and wouldnt spend that much for the new successor. with the specs of k5 am already happy with it. question is how low it can get when he successor hit the market? i think i would still be around the just ended rebate price...

ive heard a lot of good things about the da70 but i cant get them (k5 and da70) both.
nobody's mentioning about the option of da70.

follow up question.
same lens on both kx and k5, how big is the difference? would appreciate for any links with this comparison.
03-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K-5 is well worth it - In regards to the life cycle of the camera though, fear not, I'd bet it's about halfway through it's cycle due to the rebate.(Most companies upsell halfway through their products lifespan)

03-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I upgraded in December from kx to k5, and it's a jump that I'm very happy I made. Best points I'd say are the weather resistance and ruggedness - I slipped crossing a stream yesterday and landed on the k5 on rocks with all my weight; scuff on the lens hood, chip on the paint and mushed a bit of the knurling on the mode dial equals very little damage if you ask me. I just rinsed the slime and salt water (this was on a beach) and carried on shooting. The twin dials are very useful, as is tav mode, focus points in the vf are good to have even with a spilt screen, af is noticeably faster, and there is a big jump in high iso performance and the rendering is better.

I don't regret spending my tax rebate one bit, though I still have and love my kx and can't imagine getting rid of it as it's such a good little camera.
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are low-light shooting with AF and "sharp, crisp pics with smooth 3D bokeh" the DA 70 is going to help far more than another body. As Anvh pointed out, it's the lens that does the work for bokeh.

If you are low-light shooting with MF, get the K-5 for the larger, brighter OVF and better Live View and save up for the lens another day.

For the situation you described, unless you are doing very large prints or a lot of cropping, there's not much benefit to the K-5 from an image quality standpoint. Many people will recommend the K-5 simply because they love it (and deservedly so!) but they are not really considering the specifics you set forth in your post.

Alternatively, you could get the K-5, and use the FA 50/1.7 you have listed in your sig, and simply crop if you really need the field of view afforded by the DA 70.