Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
2nd Time Was the Charm

I bought a K-5 from B&H during the Black Friday sale and when I got it it made me sad. The AF performance was horrible, in bright light, even stopped down to F5.6 and using center point. AF-C was abysmal compared to my K20D. This was not the camera everyone on this forum kept lauding praise over. I didn't even bother doing the AF adjustment and sent it back. I took the risk again during the current sale and I couldn't be happier with the camera. I now have the real K-5 I dreamed about. HIgh ISO ability that shames my K-r, fast accurate AF and excellent metering.

03-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #2

Any clue what the issue was? Why is it different this time around? In the few minutes I got to play with my K-5 last night, it did seem a little slow last night....
03-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My problem was with out of focus and/or blurry images. My anti-shake system might have been faulty though as it made quite a bit of noise when I moved the body. Asking others they said the noise was normal, but it was much more than my other bodies and the current k-5 I have now. I never tested it with SR off, but even single composed shots were off. My keep rate dropped way way down(maybe 10%). It actually ruined a Christmas photoshoot I had for my daughter, as it was my first outing with the camera. The shots were almost all useless. I was only able to use them on really small sizes for a Christmas card. When we got home I took a few shots of her, in her Christmas dress, with my K20D that turned out nicely; but we were no longer at the location we'd selected (which was done up for Christmas).

With my new camera the focus has been great, even using Auto 11. I normally use center point. I can really enjoy a lot of the other features now. I even took some pictures at 6400 ISO by accident and I never would have known. I did have a few bad shots under my daughter's warm bedroom lights. I think part of the problem in there is the yellow walls, but that's been a problem with every camera unless I use flash.

Last edited by kenafein; 03-30-2012 at 03:13 PM.
03-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #4

I have my fingers crossed with my new K-5 which is on the way....

03-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #5

ah ok, that is different. I think I just wasn't giving it my full attention as I had to rush to meet my (soon to be) wife at a showing of le hunger games. this weekend i'm going to full on rock and roll with my new K-5 in as many situations as I can think up.