Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #1

Live View/ Video Problem with Helios 44k-4

I think this is a problem with the K5 and Helios combo all other lens work great in live/video modes. I can use the Helios on my Kr in live mode and video just fine but on the K5 the Helios has a hard time stopping down the aperture some times(dont see any oil on blades and they seem to move freely). I think that is why the K5 keeps knocking me out of live mode and video with that lens but im not 100% sure. I am posting up some pics on the left Pentax M 1.7 right the 44k4 could someone please tell me what that metal tab is next to the aperture lever that the Helios doesnt have. Could that be something that would make the K5 mad and not want to work with the lens?

03-31-2012, 03:06 AM   #2

Original Poster
If you need any other pics or a video let me know and i can get that up if needed
03-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #3

Hi, Clasicco. The tab on the SMC 1.7/50 is there to tell the camera body the maximum aperture of the lens for proper working of the "open-aperture" metering system (as opposed to the "stopped-down" metering on the Spotmatic series of the 1960's). The lack of this tab might well be a source of irritation for the K-5.
By the way, have you set Custom menu point no. 27 to "Use of aperture ring permitted"?
Greetings,
Chanel.
03-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Chanel I do have custom menu 27 permitted.

04-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does your K-5 also knock you out of live view if you take the lens off (with any lens)? If that's the case then the problem is the mount of your Helios isn't conductive enough. Can probably be fixed by polishing it a bit.

The aperture lever shield is unrelated to this problem, no camera uses it. The tab Chanel is talking about is on the other side of the mount, visible in your second picture, available on both lenses, and not used by the K-5.
04-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks drougge I polished it up alittle and was able to go into live mode and did some quick testing seems like that may have helped but the lens still doesnt stop down with shutter preview all the time some times it does other times seems like it gets stuck wide open and doesnt want to stop down. But I dont understand what you said at the start when you said "Does your K-5 also knock you out of live view if you take the lens off (with any lens)?". If your asking about other lens in live mode I have no problems with other lens just this one. Ill try and make a video and get it up tonight
04-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
OK, I made a video if it help at all:

04-04-2012, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

While the video doesn't answer my qiestion as such, it does look like the problem I think it is. I don't have a K-5 to test with at the moment, so I have to ask stupid questions.

So, here's another attempt at the same question: Using a lens where it works properly (like your Pentax M50/1.7), if you enable live view and then take the lens off the camera, is live view still on? I'll answer both possibilities, to save time:

If the camera is still in live view with no lens on, I don't know what the problem is, sorry.

If the camera does turn off live view when you take the lens off, that's what happening with your 44K (the camera thinks you took the lens off). And the only way the camera knows if a lens is mountes is with the electrical contacts on the mount. Thus, your lens is sometimes shorting them and sometimes not. If polishing isn't enough, add something conductive.

Of course, I'm pretty sure it is this problem even if my testing method turns out not to give the right results. Some aluminum foil should be easy to test with, if a little inconvenient in the long run.
04-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks a ton drougge added alittle foil worked great. I started looking into how the pentax mount works alittle and found this great site http://www.robertstech.com/matrix.htm with that info it got me thinking why not make this lens ground out the right contacts so it shows aperture data in the EXIF. Seems like that could be done right?
04-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, no. The newer cameras only use that information when you set the aperture ring in the A position, at which point the camera expects to control the aperture. If you are very lucky this might actually work on your lens, but my experience is that you end up with something like this:

Set aperture on camera: 2 2.8 4 5.6 8 11 16 22
Actual aperture on lens: 2 2 2 4 11 22 22 22

Or something equally useless. (I have had lenses where it worked ok, so go ahead and try it anyway, just expect disappointment.)