Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-5 Buy

I hope this is the correct place in the forum to put this. I just came across a price for the K-5 with a kit lens for $1,009. The store is Ryther Camera. Pentax K-5 w/18-55mm Zoom WR Lens
I am not sure if Adorama will meet this price. I know it is just a low quality kit lens but a lens is a lens and for $10 more than the competitor's price with no lens.

Last edited by leptim; 03-31-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Typo
03-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-10? I think you mean K-5.

Interesting, they are claiming it's a K-5 w/18-55 WR lens.

They have an 8.07/10 on Reseller Ratings.

But... here's a local consumer comment:

"Photographers beware!!! I ordered a very expensive professional camera from Ryther because their price beat all of their online competitors. After the transaction, a normal payment confirmation screen came up. At this point, I thought my order was final, and my camera would be on it's way soon. Well, that was not the case. The next day, one of their sales reps called and asked if I wanted a "Gray Market Camera or a U.S. Camera". Gray Market?! What?! What is this, a camera smuggling company?!

I said I want a legitimate U.S. camera, and he told me the price would actually be an additional $400 from the total I was given when I placed the order. Next, he tried to up-sell me on batteries, warranties and other items. When I told him I was over it, and no longer wanted to do business with them, he was still pushy. I again requested for him to cancel my order, and he put me on hold for long periods, then transferred me to the supervisor instead of honoring my request. When the supervisor came on the line, I told him to cancel the order, and he still tried to be pushy and cut a deal with me. SHADY, SHADY, SHAAAY--DEEEEE.

CAUTION!!! When you think you've finalized an order online with Ryther, they're going to call and tell you to pay more for a legitimate camera. I strongly advise you to bypass the B.S. and buy from a reputable dealer like Calumet, B&H or Adorama."
03-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Always google sellers that are unknown to you, ALWAYS. Also, there is nothing "low quality" about the Pentax Kit lens - its actually one of the best kit lenses you could buy. The WR model has the better optics and is water/weather resistant. It's a good solid lens that does a nice job in its range. Good luck with your pursuit of the K-5 but beware that prices are slated to go up on Monday.
03-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
K-5 not K-10

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
K-10? I think you mean K-5.

Interesting, they are claiming it's a K-5 w/18-55 WR lens.

They have an 8.07/10 on Reseller Ratings.

But... here's a local consumer comment:

"Photographers beware!!! I ordered a very expensive professional camera from Ryther because their price beat all of their online competitors. After the transaction, a normal payment confirmation screen came up. At this point, I thought my order was final, and my camera would be on it's way soon. Well, that was not the case. The next day, one of their sales reps called and asked if I wanted a "Gray Market Camera or a U.S. Camera". Gray Market?! What?! What is this, a camera smuggling company?!

I said I want a legitimate U.S. camera, and he told me the price would actually be an additional $400 from the total I was given when I placed the order. Next, he tried to up-sell me on batteries, warranties and other items. When I told him I was over it, and no longer wanted to do business with them, he was still pushy. I again requested for him to cancel my order, and he put me on hold for long periods, then transferred me to the supervisor instead of honoring my request. When the supervisor came on the line, I told him to cancel the order, and he still tried to be pushy and cut a deal with me. SHADY, SHADY, SHAAAY--DEEEEE.

CAUTION!!! When you think you've finalized an order online with Ryther, they're going to call and tell you to pay more for a legitimate camera. I strongly advise you to bypass the B.S. and buy from a reputable dealer like Calumet, B&H or Adorama."
Thanks for the advice! It pays to listen to those in the know. Sorry about the mix-up with K-10. That's what I have now and I was looking at some other stuff and obviously had that still on my mind.

03-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The correct forum for this is the price watch forum. I'm moving this to the K-5 forum as it's not a trustworthy deal, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: