Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

Are Tv and Av obsolete on the K-5?

Greetings everyone, long time lurker here. I just upgraded from K-x to K-5 and discovered the wonderful HyperProgram mode. It looks as though all I need to do is set the camera on P and adjust the front e-dial for Tv and the rear e-dial for Av and they will operate exactly the same as if I selected them on the mode dial. Is that correct? If so, is there a reason for Pentax to even retain the selections on the mode dial?

Thanks and cheers to all.

03-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, Hyper P mode essentially is an Av and Tv mode in one. The obvious difference is in the e-dial functionality. I like and use Av mode because I want to be able to flick my ISO up and down without having to hold down or press any other button to do so. I find ISO adjustments more important in my line of photography than Tv adjustments. So no, niether Av nor Tv modes are obsolete.

Same goes for TAv mode - I think that is a very versatile mode. Definitely no gimmick.
03-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Appart from the times I have to use manual I use AV ! Its all to easy to Knock a setting when your busy.
03-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Av & Tv alive and well ...

Bonjour,

I agree with Ash in that I use the e-dails in Av for Ap (up front) and for ISO (rear dail) ... and same with Tv (up front, too). I am really not a fan of TAv in low light conditions, but that's just me ... and I turn a lot in full manual as well. Hyper-Program is nice if I need a very quick, down & dirty shot ... thus, usually I (try to) leave the K-5 in this personal "default" position ... as a start off point, since I sometimes want a quick shot of my fast-paced daughters ... the smallest starts yelling when I pull out the K-5! Sigh ...

Allez & bon courage, John le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-31-2012 at 01:47 PM.
03-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

With all the options they give, they're still missing one tweak that would make Av much more worthwhile: MinTv on the unused dial. Instead of the slow/normal/fast auto-iso settings, I'd just like to set min shutter speed with the unused dial in Av mode. If I had that I'd use it for 99% of my shots.
03-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

mini shutter speed?
03-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
mini shutter speed?
Minimum.

And yes, that would be a nice tweak, and also for apertures. On my K20D I can set minimum and maximum ISO range, but not min+max shutter or aperture. I can set all those to specific values, but specifying ranges would be nifty.
03-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
mini shutter speed?
Minimum shutter speed. I don't care how fast the shutter speed is, as long as it's faster than my set value. For example, shooting action, I may set it to 1/200. For my 35mm lens shooting a static scene without SR, I'd set it to 1/80, with SR 1/20. I just want it set to avoid motion blur, whatever the situation needs. This is the same thing that auto-iso speed does, but for manual lenses, slow is 1/60, normal is 1/100, and fast is 1/200. Those values are fixed and can't be changed currently. I want a mode of Av that I can control that min shutter speed with the front dial.

03-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks, Ash - your reply prompted me to go searching through the menus (again) and I discovered how to set the unused e-dial to ISO adjustment in Av & Tv modes. Another great feature.
03-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ah thanks.
I know that in some automatic modes it adjust the minimum speed to the focal length you use, it's probably the same in Av when you've set the ISO to automatic as well.
And you can change that behaviour as well in some modes.