Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #1

What have I done??

I've been lurking for sometime and I got a K5 in October and has been enjoying it until today. All of a sudden all pics were black. Yes, all black. Everything looked fine from the VF but if I switched the LV on the view is completely black.

A couple of days ago I used the K5 with a Helios lens and 3rd party adapter. Not satisfied with the adapter (too difficult to remove), I bought a Pentax genuine adapter. It worked fine for about a dozen shots but then one pic was half black then the next ones were all black (like I was shooting with a lens cap on). When I removed the lens I noticed that the spring from the 3rd party adapter was loose inside the mount. I don't know if that was what caused it, or I may have done something really stupid.

I believe I would need to send it for repair (or maybe warranty work if it turned out to be defective parts). But before I do that, dose anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks so much in advance.

03-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Put the camera in manual, select a long shutter speed such as 1 or 2 secs. then without a lens press the shutter button while peering into the camera, make sure the mirror is flipping up and the shutter is opening. You could also go into the menu and select the sensor cleaning option (not the dust removal by shaking, but the actual sensor cleaning). If you had a piece loose inside the mount it could have damaged the mirror flip mechanism or the shutter.
03-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
I did try the sensor cleaning thing and the long shutter shots and the mirror did flip up. There were three shots where there was a band of light recorded, but other than that the others were black. Thanks.
03-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by bowman9000 Quote
I did try the sensor cleaning thing and the long shutter shots and the mirror did flip up
But did the shutter open?

03-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Oh my! Sorry - how couldI have missed it. No it did not open.
03-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #6

That's your problem right there The shutter is most likely jammed or damaged by the loose piece inside the lens mount.
You will have to send the camera for service.
03-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Jase.

03-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #8

No prob, I'm sorry for you though, having to send your camera off to service sucks