Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Remote

Just verifying with the community as the internet was inconclusive.

After hundreds of threads, shops, and articles it seemed this was what you have to buy:
WX2001 Camera Wireless Shutter Release for PENTAX K7 K5 K10D K20D K100D K200D | eBay

Then suddenly! I found this:
Photon Remote Control Pentax KR KX KM K7 K5 K20D K200D | eBay

Does anyone use a remote like in the second example. I dont care that its cheap and Chinese, I have one for my D80 for years I bought for .97 on ebay and it was solid. I just want to make sure that the K5 can accept one and has the capability for sure because those other remotes make it seeem like the camera needs the functionality surrgoated via a big box in the hot shoe. I've bought the camera, but they are back ordered on Adorama so I cant just check the manual or the camera itself.

03-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Brooke Meyer

I've bought a number of things from this guy. Still use the remote. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
03-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I had one of those small cheaper ones ex e-bay, it worked o.k. but every time when I wanted to use it after a longish spell the battery was flat. So when I finished with it after a shoot I stored it away with the battery removed. The thing would just discharge the battery all the time. Disposed of it after a while.

Greetings
04-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

That is what I have and it does go through batteries.

04-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My issue is that one eats the hot shoe and i planned to obtain speedlight
04-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
NKK
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered the photon - thanks for the heads up on the battery
04-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I've bought a number of things from this guy. Still use the remote. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Thank-You. I ordered this one based on a past post of yours and have been very pleased with it. Good feature set--distance--leaves hot shoe free etc.
04-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wait... it does? i thought it went in the hot shoe?

04-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #9

The one in your post is "WX2001". The one I have is a different product---"Micnova"--See link in Brooke's post or my quote of that. Both connect to the K5 "Cable Release Port" but the Micnova just hangs from it where the WX2001 is shown mounted on the hot shoe. The WX2001 has it's own batteries so maybe you can hang it from the port if you want your hot shoe free. I don't own it so check out the threads that talk about it.

The description of the WX2001 says "No Wireless Bulb Mode" so be aware of that.

I did no research on these RF remote releases---Saw Brooke's link in another thread and ordered it because I wanted more distance then an IR remote could get me. Works just fine on my K5.

Last edited by jcp5; 04-01-2012 at 09:47 PM.
04-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I know its different, but i had never seen one that didnt take a hot shoe and this one doesnt show it hooked tot he camera. It's too bad the other one eats batteries as i prefer it from previous use on other brands. You havent experienced any wear on the cable leaving it just hanging?
04-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by urville Quote
I know its different, but i had never seen one that didnt take a hot shoe and this one doesnt show it hooked tot he camera. It's too bad the other one eats batteries as i prefer it from previous use on other brands. You havent experienced any wear on the cable leaving it just hanging?
It plugs into the same jack that the Pentax Wired Remote uses and it works pretty much the same. Doesn't weigh enough to talk about. You'd only attach it if you're going to use it on a tripod. I tend to use the wired remote more but I've used the wireless to take and be in group shots and place the camera & tripod close to Hummingbird feeders.

I've actually used it to trigger the camera with a Cowboy Studio Trigger in the hot shoe to fire a remote flash.
04-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #12

You can see in the picture of it the cable is short. About 6 inches (5 inches w/o connector) and the unit is very small/light but good build. Good quality cable and terminal. You can see in the picture of it that the cable has flex connections at both ends to prevent strain. Very well done. I have used it lots for a couple months. Very reliable so far. Great range. Your choice.

Last edited by jcp5; 04-01-2012 at 10:34 PM.
04-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No, this looks great, just misunderstood it at first.