Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I pulled the trigger, and now my bank account is dead!

Well, I succumbed to the K-5 price demon and in the eleventh hour on the last day the deed was done.....

I expect my new K-5 from Adorama to be on my doorstep by mid to late next week.

Maybe it was the extra $10 discount ($989) that pushed me over the edge... who knows?

I'm going to keep my K10. It's not worth much for a resale; maybe I'll give it to my son.

The only thing is explaining this to my better half- gotta fly under the radar for a couple of months until the dust clears... the only plausible explanation I can think of is that I washed my K-10 with hot water instead of the cold recommended and it shrunk!

Anyway, I just celebrated a birthday a couple weeks back, so happy birthday to me (and Easter and Halloween and Christmas and... you get the drift!)

-Matt

04-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

At least you have something to keep you company while your sleeping on the couch once she finds out.
04-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 only cost ½ of a K10d,but is complementary from Pentax after 5 years of K10d ownership.
04-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
K-5 only cost ½ of a K10d,but is complementary from Pentax after 5 years of K10d ownership.
You have some serious negotiation skills if you can pull that one off!!!

04-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #5

What makes you happy, makes her happy or is it the other way around..
04-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

OP, does it run on 4 AA's? If so, I'll buy the body from you if it below 6000 shutter#.
04-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
The K-10 takes the proprietary Li-on battery; you may be thinking of the K200.

04-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #8

*sigh* I had a similar situation too... thought I can keep it quiet from the Minister of Finance about it

but last night I was interrogated...

MOF: Your camera is a little slow with the focusing?
Me : Yeap
MOF: Maybe you should upgrade the camera then?
Me : Maybe..... *smile*
MOF: You already have bought one, have you?
Me : No... *try to act innocent... but smile got bigger*
MOF: When it is arriving?
Me: ...... hopefully this week.... *sheepishly*

And yes, I suck at playing Poker
04-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I was on a upgrade path after using the ist-DL for more than 5 years. Few weeks ago I bought a used K7 and sold it quickly at the same price to recover the money. The ist-Dl shutter actually died on me the same day I sold the K7. Few hundred dollars more and now I'm picking up a k-5 soon. Wallet hit - $900 (used). No better half to explain this to, although not sure about that student loan now...

And for anyone that is interested few of the stores here in Canada are still selling the k-5 for below $1099 that seems to be the norm now. http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03308/Pentax-K-5-price.html
04-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rottie*Lover Quote

I'm going to keep my K10. It's not worth much for a resale; maybe I'll give it to my son.
-Matt
Yeah - do that. The K10d was much better than my K-7 for long exposures too, but the K-5 is a different league I guess - congratulations. When my daughter is a little older I plan on getting her a K200 so she can learn on it (and so I can get access to the sensor from a K10d for night shots again!)
04-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rottie*lover, here is a word of experience. Give that new beautiful body a name. I mean a female name like Baby Doll or Princess, you get my drift. When you have to sleep alone on the couch because your better half says you do, you can hold her tightly and talk to her with her "given" name. It makes life a bit easier. If she talks back "bonus"

Take care and have fun with your new partner.
04-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #12

If "she" talks back without that video replay button depressed, you'll know that you have a real problem & should probably depress the record button at that time...
My "AWA's" (audible warning alarm / wife) batteries are recharging so I can temporarily hear that the SR is functioning properly in my new K-5...
Enjoy!
04-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #13
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I succumbed to the K-5 price demon and in the eleventh hour on the last day the deed was done.....
Congratulations on the new K-5, I know you are going to enjoy it. It really is a stunning little camera

The only thing is explaining this to my better half- gotta fly under the radar for a couple of months until the dust clears...
I reckon you could clear it up on the first day, and improve you love life at the same time.

It goes like this 'Honey, you know I have just been finding you more and more beautiful the last while, and I just wanted the best camera I could afford to make memories together, and to enjoy your beauty in the photos as well'.

You need to be sincere (women have alarms that go off if you are not), but if you are sincere then you should have no problems.

Enjoy the camera....

Ross
04-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #14

Original Poster
Ha ha ha! Too funny, guys!

Got my K-5 yesterday, battery charged overnight, first pics today!

Nothing fancy, just wanted to quickly test it out.... I'm very pleased! What build quality! A little smaller than the K10, but it seems a little heavier.... the focusing is so fast!

I immediately loaded my SD card on the computer to check the EXIF data- exposure #1 by me, manufacture date Jan 2012.

I also shot a blank wall to check the sensor... all okay. I did this because a few exposures into my then new K10 I discovered there was already dust on the sensor.

I ordered the battery grip for this, as my hands are on the large side, and I like how my K10 grip makes it easier to shoot in portrait mode.

All that's left for now is an extra battery (leaning toward OEM) and top/back screen protectors... and I'm done for now. I'm going to wait on any new lens purchases until the dust settles from the hoopla going on now.

Thanks all for the good wishes... I'm going to like this camera!

-Matt

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With plenty of light available, K10D takes fantastic pictures. It is no slouch.