Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I couldnt resist...

...the $989 price. I was saving this years tax return for the replacement of the K-5, but as soon as the price dropped below the $1000 mark, I couldnt resist. Whatever Pentax has to replace the K-5 will likely cost what the K-5 started at ($1599) or more, and it would be hard for me to justify spending that much above the $1k mark - ESPECIALLY when the K-5 has proven its worth over and over again. So last Wednesday, I broke out the credit card...

My new K-5 Is now sitting on my desk at work. Taunting me.

My trusty K10, after 4 1/2 years of mostly faithful service, was a bit put off when it found out that it was being semi-retired and placed on "backup camera" status. So this past weekend, during absolutely gorgeous weather, my K10, armed with my 100mm WR macro, had to remind me once again why Ive hesitated for many years replacing it with a newer, fancier body. The in body SR made short work of hand held closeups...

Natural Symmetry

Busy Bee

Little Purple Flower

Looks like the K-5 has quite the shoes to fill! Im confident it will make a great companion to the trusty K10!

04-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

My K5 arrived today from Adorama as well. At $989, I couldn't resist. It's also replacing my trusty K10, which will go to a friend who's interested in photography. Can't wait to take some shots after work.
04-02-2012, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the new camera! I too made the jump after owning two K10's....which I loved.....I still have one of them, but it hasn't seen much action with the K5 joining the party. To me it has been the ideal upgrade and filled the K10 shoes nicely. Awesome high ISO performance, dynamic range, a quiet shutter and live view (really nice for macro focusing) are just a few features. The K10 holds a special place...but you will love the K5. Looking forward to seeing some shots, enjoy!
04-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just received my K5 which places the K10d on reserve. The K10 has served me well and has a lot of life in it, but I've been itching for some high ISO performance to better handle low light mornings/evenings, especially with my long and slow glass.

04-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
Congrats on the new camera! I too made the jump after owning two K10's....which I loved.....I still have one of them, but it hasn't seen much action with the K5 joining the party. To me it has been the ideal upgrade and filled the K10 shoes nicely. Awesome high ISO performance, dynamic range, a quiet shutter and live view (really nice for macro focusing) are just a few features. The K10 holds a special place...but you will love the K5. Looking forward to seeing some shots, enjoy!
I think you may be 100% right in that regard. I plan on keeping the K10 as a second body and backup to the K-5, as well as the body that can be loaned out to budding photographers that want to go out shooting with me. However my early experiences with my K-5 have me feeling that I wont be using the K10 as much anymore. Noise is virtually non-existant up to ISO 3200, and my personal feeling is that anything up to ISO 12,800 is easily managable with proper exposure and a little PP. The dynamic range for ISO 80 is astounding! This shot would have given my K10 some issues for sure:

Loving this camera so far!