Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First Photo Shoot With My K-5= Impressed

Folks lets just start out by letting you all know that I am a mere novice and I am still learning. I have always been into photography strictly as a hobby(couldn't afford film and developing costs)
Since the beginning of last year I have owned the K-x and I have been taking all kinds of shots with it and relearning photography in the digital world. I have never shot and actual"photoshoot" but I felt it was time to get my feet wet, and just do it.
I had a good friend contact me telling me that her son was in town and she wanted family photos done, so we set the date of two weeks ago and I set out to do it. The shoot went fine, sunny day out at the lake in a park like setting. I have really got to work on my background composition but that will come with time and practice.
It started out with me arranging everyone in all kinds of combinations and all actually went pretty well. I learned a lot during this shoot especially about lighting and posing and backgrounds, but I managed to pull it all off just fine, even though I have only done about fifty shots on my new K-5 before I attempted this shoot, so I was still learning the camera as well. I was surprised at how easy this camera is to use, one thing I really like is the fact that I rarely ever need to take my eye off the viewfinder in order to make an adjustment because those e dials are just awesome and handy.
I didn't really chimp a lot due to the fact that I am used to my K-x and with that camera I would just glance at the screen on the back just to make sure the image was exposed correctly, I carried that habit over on to the K-5, I barely use the rear LCD screen on this camera.....don't need to.
After the shoot I tossed the SD card into my computer and fired up Light Room and when the images came up I was just speechless in amazement over the quality of these images! I didn't need to do a whole lot of PP in LR and I still put out some amazing shots, I was figuring there would be about 30~40% keepers out of the approximately 400 shots I took, instead there was around 75-80% keepers and some of the throw away shots were basically doubles of some of the keepers.
Folks I really don't have the type of lenses to write home about but these images were just "kick a$$" I presented the images to my client and she was really impressed, I am not really going to charge a whole lot for these images(basically enough to cover for my expenses), but this person DOES know a lot of folks in her job and acquaintances and will be spreading the word about my capabilities.
I feel in my heart that I now have a totally capable piece of equipment in my arsenal with this K-5, it really doesn't take long before I am naturally using this tool like it is an extension of myself, switching lenses back and forth from manual lenses to automatic ones is a breeze with this camera, a lot of my manual lenses even took better shot quality than my kit lenses at times especially with the brighter viewfinder for focusing, I also like the 100% coverage that the VF offers, I really noticed the difference coming from the K-x.
I know this much.......I am now looking for another k_5 for a back up body! I really enjoyed doing the shoot and I now want to take it a step further and go a little more pro with it.

04-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As you have discovered, The K-5 is very capable but still intuitive to use. I cannot stop enjoying the responsiveness of the K-5.
04-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
As you have discovered, The K-5 is very capable but still intuitive to use. I cannot stop enjoying the responsiveness of the K-5.
My thoughts exactly, this camera is a pleasure to use, I really look forward to using it every time.