Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
@jmg257: glad to hear you the 55-300 is capable. It would be nice to have that kind of range shooting outside sports; though I am guessing it is a little slow.
If it makes you feel any better - If you do decide on a K-5, the 55-300 is a nice lens for outdoor sports. I have used it for the last 4 years on "fast" sports (high school soccer), and "slower" sports (high school baseball & major league baseball), and it has performed fine. It's nice to have the flexibility of a zoom for sports, and if you work WITH it's limitations (I.E. speed) instead of fighting them you'll be quite pleased. For example, when shooting my kid's games, if the weather is grey, or it's a night game, I'll concentrate less on getting game-action shots, and use that as an opportunity to get shots like the players interacting on the bench, the coach taking a player aside for a talk, players waiting to go in or in the on-deck circle, group shots, etc..
This method ensures every shot doesn't look the same (I.E all game-action shots), and it allows me to be quite happy with that lens instead of fussing about how it's not fast enough. And frankly, when the kids see all the shots - with the exception of the rare game winning goal/homer - their favorites are usually the candid ones outside of game-action, where there was no need for a 2.8 lens.

Hope that helps,

Tim

04-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks again for all of the thoughtful replies. Everyone has provided a great deal of helpful information and I honestly feel like, if for nothing else, the support on this site probably makes buying the K-5 the right decision. I should be able to try out the K-5 in the store sometime next week, as long as I don't jump and order it prior to then. I am motivated to learn and have concluded that I want to start learning on whatever I plan on shooting with for the long term. Honestly, I don't see myself buying anything other than the K-5 at this point and my wife is pushing me to just place the order anyway.

As for the lenses, I think I would find the 55-300 very useful since a lot of what I shoot is outside in good light and from varying distances depending on the sport. So rather than get the 18-135, I am thinking of just ordering it with the kit lens and spending the extra $ for the 55-300. Should be similar dollars to the body and 18-135 but will give me more range. Then down the road I can find a couple of primes that fit my shooting habits. Make sense?
04-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have both the 18-135 and 55-300 and between them they cover a lot of territory. If you can't get both first up, then your plan of getting the kit lens and the 55-300 makes sense. Either way, enjoy the K5. Someone earlier in the thread said it is better to grow into a camera than outgrow it, and I agree fully. I don't use half the capabilities of the K5 but I am never going to regret having more than I need, whereas I am sure that I would regret having less!
04-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Hard to say with any certainty how anyone would react to a camera like the K5 loaded with features, but I am no Pro by any means, and find the K5 very easy and simple to use. In fact, it is several degrees easier than my little Fuji X10, and many times more capable for a much wider range of shooting opportunities. I can't see where you would not adapt easily and quickly, and there is always plenty of help right here if you should need it.
Regards! & Good luck!

04-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #20

Original Poster
Ordered the K-5!

I finally pushed the button to order the K-5 and couldn't be more excited. I bought it with the kit lens and also ordered a DA 55-300. I was back and forth for a while and even took my old rebel xt to get an estimate on getting it fixed ($170), but at the end of the day, I decided it was time to upgrade. Having a tool I can grow with, like many mentioned, was a huge selling point for upgrading now. So thanks again for all the advice.

I have been watching the for sale section here and am excited to add some other lenses once I figure out what I am looking for. I know I will at some point want a lens for indoor sports and also one for taking indoor pictures of the kids. For now though, I am just excited to start taking some pictures!
04-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #21

Congratulations & have fun! Don't forget to charge the battery as soon as you get it (it takes a good 5 hours). You can use the time reading the manual, like I did! Yes, there's some very knowledgable & helpful people here on the forum. Just take lots of pictures at first that you don't care about & review right away to learn. The more you use it, the more you'll love it!
04-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

...and don't forget to order a battery grip.

04-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Squirrel Quote
I finally pushed the button to order the K-5 and couldn't be more excited. I bought it with the kit lens and also ordered a DA 55-300
Squirrel, enjoy your K-5 and lenses.

Just in time for nice spring and summer weather too.

Ross
04-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Have a nice time with your K5 and remember to update my thread ;-)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/182632-things-you-want-p...mprove-k5.html