Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'm surprised the sensor needs to be replaced...
that makes two of us

04-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Do you have another lens? Does the K-5 power up? If so, take a few shots and see what it does and if it takes photos, post a few here.
04-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Sounds like a really extreme fluke that the sensor would be gone on it from a fairly short fall like that. I think the first thing I would have done in your situation would be remove the grip, remove the lens (maybe slap another lens on it) and start testing it on the spot. Maybe you did this and just glossed over it in your post. With the grip bearing the brunt of the impact, and the fact that the sensor is floating, it's hard to believe it really needed to be replaced.
04-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Ah well, time to look into a used d700? Assuming you don't have any other investments in Pentax.
Why not a Canon? Or an Olympus? Or any other brand? I doubt remarks like this are either helpful or appropriate, given the OP already indicated they'd made a conscious decision to go with Pentax.

04-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Regarding the sensor breaking from a fall: the actual sensor might be okay but the SR assembly it is attached to may have been damaged. Repair shops might only know to swap the entire SR+sensor instead of being able to repair individual components. That's just conjecture, though.
04-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #21

you can always sell the camera and lens here for parts. i am sure someone will buy it, and the money you get from it can offset the price of your new K-5
04-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Dinos,
sorry about your loss, that's a major bummer!

I don't really find the costs out of line. mass producing and assembling many things is usually cheaper than doing a major repair on technological items like electronics.

I very nearly had your same experience:
a. I also went to a shoulder strap.
b. To attach the shoulder strap, i had to attach the strap to the camera via the triangular on the strap post on the right side of the camera.
c. I had to take the original Pentax triangular ring off the camera to get the old strap off. But when i removed it and reinstalled it - it had some permanent deformation to it - but didn't look major at all.
d. So i put the new shoulder strap on with a Key ring attached to the slightly deformed triangular ring.
e. All was good for a while and the shoulder strap really eased the strain of the K5 strap on my neck.
f. One day, the camera was dangling from my fingers near my hip and i was about to release the camera to let it hang on the strap, but i didn't release the camera because it didn't feel right. I looked down and saw that the shoulder strap was no longer atttached to the camera. I had almost released the camera to drop it on the pavement.

The problem was the deformation of the tiny triangular ring allowed the ring to become detached from the should strap key ring over time. Lesson learned: never use a key type ring that looks deformed. I went to a locksmith store who keep selections of all sizes of strong key rings. Got one to replace the K5 triangular ring and its worked well for the last year.

I don't know how to advise you on getting another camera. As a professional, then being able to get repairs in a timely manner is important. The scarcity of Pentax repair shops may be a problem in that regard. Have you ever talked to another professional photographer in your area? You might be able to get some useful information regarding the profession and gear from such individuals. Best of luck to you!

04-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the replies and your advises!!i decided yesterday night to buy another k5 for 730e new!My girlfriend goes to Holland today and she will buy it and I will have it by Monday.Also I talked to my insurance guy and I will get an offer today.
04-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Dinos,
sorry about your loss, that's a major bummer!

I don't really find the costs out of line. mass producing and assembling many things is usually cheaper than doing a major repair on technological items like electronics.

I very nearly had your same experience:
a. I also went to a shoulder strap.
b. To attach the shoulder strap, i had to attach the strap to the camera via the triangular on the strap post on the right side of the camera.
c. I had to take the original Pentax triangular ring off the camera to get the old strap off. But when i removed it and reinstalled it - it had some permanent deformation to it - but didn't look major at all.
d. So i put the new shoulder strap on with a Key ring attached to the slightly deformed triangular ring.
e. All was good for a while and the shoulder strap really eased the strain of the K5 strap on my neck.
f. One day, the camera was dangling from my fingers near my hip and i was about to release the camera to let it hang on the strap, but i didn't release the camera because it didn't feel right. I looked down and saw that the shoulder strap was no longer atttached to the camera. I had almost released the camera to drop it on the pavement.

The problem was the deformation of the tiny triangular ring allowed the ring to become detached from the should strap key ring over time. Lesson learned: never use a key type ring that looks deformed. I went to a locksmith store who keep selections of all sizes of strong key rings. Got one to replace the K5 triangular ring and its worked well for the last year.

I don't know how to advise you on getting another camera. As a professional, then being able to get repairs in a timely manner is important. The scarcity of Pentax repair shops may be a problem in that regard. Have you ever talked to another professional photographer in your area? You might be able to get some useful information regarding the profession and gear from such individuals. Best of luck to you!
that is the way i should have done it from the beginning
Attached Images

04-05-2012, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #25
Brooke Meyer

I don't know about Europe but I have a Photographers Business Liability Policy and an Equipment Insurance Policy. Business is business so if the risk is too high, obtain insurance. The reason doesn't matter. Theft, accident, etc, the outcome is the same.
04-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mpmetro Quote
you can always sell the camera and lens here for parts. i am sure someone will buy it, and the money you get from it can offset the price of your new K-5
i think that is what i will do!
04-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

The OP tells a story which is a lesson in why insurance is so important.
04-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The depressing part of the story for me is that 60cm caused the damage - My friend once dropped my k-x from above his head while I wasn't around. Don't ask why or how; I came back to some guilty faces in that room.

No damage... so hearing this story makes me feel pretty bad knowing you got a pretty unlucky situation.
04-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #29
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Why not a Canon? Or an Olympus? Or any other brand? I doubt remarks like this are either helpful or appropriate, given the OP already indicated they'd made a conscious decision to go with Pentax.
I meant no offense. Was just thinking of how he could switch systems since his experience with Pentax repair is so bad and Ricoh seems to be jacking up prices. I see the OP has gotten a replacement K5, congrats. The K5 is really a great camera and should serve its owner for a good couple of years.
04-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
I meant no offense. Was just thinking of how he could switch systems since his experience with Pentax repair is so bad and Ricoh seems to be jacking up prices. I see the OP has gotten a replacement K5, congrats. The K5 is really a great camera and should serve its owner for a good couple of years.
None taken. I doubt that there'd have been much chance that the experience would have been greatly different if he'd dropped any other brand of camera, though. As for prices, I think that Pentax might still have an overall advantage over equivalent systems, in spite of the recent changes and despite some anomalies noted elsewhere. They still need to make changes to lens and body lineups, but that's another story.