Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not every accident results in big bills/replacement, see;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/178068-i-swear-these-thi...tructible.html
It probably just depends on the angle of the object when it falls.

My son dropped his Canon 40D from tripod height onto tiles and it cost him $205 (AU) - $5 for a shutter button and $200 for labour!
The Canon landed firstly on the lens and then on the shutter button. The lens looked horribly askew but he nudged it back into place and it still works fine.

04-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When Pentax (or anyone) build a camera, a lot of the work is done by robots I would imagine, and done in a carefully set order, with all the parts to hand.

Repairing a substantially damaged camera requires a person to take it apart, work out which bits need replacing, locate the parts, remove the old ones whilst other bits might be in the way, put it all back together and test. It's much more labour intensive than building it in the first place, hence it costs more.

I'd definitely recommend insurance in the future; if it weren't for my K10d being insured the chances are I wouldn't have a camera at all at the moment.
04-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Oh my, your story sent chills down my spine!

What about your home insurance? Here in Holland we have the type that insures your mobile devices too. Check into that maybe?
04-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
When Pentax (or anyone) build a camera, a lot of the work is done by robots I would imagine, and done in a carefully set order, with all the parts to hand.

Repairing a substantially damaged camera requires a person to take it apart, work out which bits need replacing, locate the parts, remove the old ones whilst other bits might be in the way, put it all back together and test. It's much more labour intensive than building it in the first place, hence it costs more.

I'd definitely recommend insurance in the future; if it weren't for my K10d being insured the chances are I wouldn't have a camera at all at the moment.
exactly!they said they have to disassemble the whole camera to replace the sensor.so with 70euro labor cost per hour(without taxes!),plus testing and fine tuning,they force you to buy a new one..

04-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Oh my, your story sent chills down my spine!

What about your home insurance? Here in Holland we have the type that insures your mobile devices too. Check into that maybe?
I know about Holland.here in Greece we don't have those type of insurance programs.but i can insure my gear, so this is what I am fixing now.I learned my lesson...
04-07-2012, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this is typical of most all modern electronic products....the repair costs are more than the replacement costs unless it is a minor repair. No one works on Microwaves anymore....you just buy a new one....same for many electronics. You don't repair hard drives, you replace them....and on and on, the list is very long.

Insurance can often help, in replacement, but even there it often falls short. Bottom line is that accidents happen, regrettably, as in your case, but it could have and would have been the same with any brand, I do believe.

If you had posted this story about a Nikon, it would be just as sad, no real shooter wants to see this happen to a fellow shooter, after all, it could be me next?

Best Regards!
04-08-2012, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #37
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Dinos,

Sorry to read your story regarding camera damage and cost. I am really happy to hear that you have brought another K-5 and are continuing with your decision to be a professional photographer.

My experience in life is that in any field of endeavor there will always be hard times, ups and downs. If you let the hard times stop you from following your passion or your dream you will never get there. It think this is the same for everyone - famous athletes, musicians etc. It is hard work, never giving up, learning all the time and believing that you can achieve what you want to that will get you where you want to be.

So many give up at the hard times and hurdles - those who are truly successful don't.

I wish you every success as you walk this path.

Ross

04-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear and I know the feeling. K5 + FA31Ltd

There is a mark in the mirror that will always remind me of the incident. The lens hood replacement was about 100 euro.
04-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Dinos,

Sorry to read your story regarding camera damage and cost. I am really happy to hear that you have brought another K-5 and are continuing with your decision to be a professional photographer.

My experience in life is that in any field of endeavor there will always be hard times, ups and downs. If you let the hard times stop you from following your passion or your dream you will never get there. It think this is the same for everyone - famous athletes, musicians etc. It is hard work, never giving up, learning all the time and believing that you can achieve what you want to that will get you where you want to be.

So many give up at the hard times and hurdles - those who are truly successful don't.

I wish you every success as you walk this path.

Ross
NZ Ross, a typical Kiwi, the country is full of them.

Greetings
04-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #40

Original Poster
Ok! Now this is really weird!! I got my gear back from Holland today, along with the new k5 body. So first I started testing my damaged body. Well it's working! The only thing I noticed, is compared to the new one, in start up the "damaged" one makes a more squeaky noise. It takes photos like it use to do..perfect! Now this is confusing!Why they said they had to replace the sensor? Do they see something that the rest of us can't see??Really weird stuff!!When the camera fell I took one photo fast and rushed to the store.That moment I wasn't thinking straight, I admit.I left the body for a "just in case"check up!Now I have two body's.Well not bad because especially for wedding shooting I need a back up.I post some pics tomorrow from both body's.I also have to add that the grip is working perfect too!!!

Last edited by dinos; 04-09-2012 at 09:32 AM.
04-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dinos Quote
Ok! Now this is really weird!! I got my gear back from Holland today, along with the new k5 body. So first I started testing my damaged body. Well it's working! The only thing I noticed, is compared to the new one, in start up the "damaged" one makes a more squeaky noise. It takes photos like it use to do..perfect! Now this is confusing!Why they said they had to replace the sensor? Do they see something that the rest of us can't see??Really weird stuff!!When the camera fell I took one photo fast and rushed to the store.That moment I wasn't thinking straight, I admit.I left the body for a "just in case"check up!Now I have two body's.Well not bad because especially for wedding shooting I need a back up.I post some pics tomorrow from both body's.I also have to add that the grip is working perfect too!!!
Can you send the new one back? This piece of news is a double-edged sword.
04-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #42

i agree with somebody said, try post the camera on market place or ebay whatever.
somebody may know how to fix camera and willing to get it for a cheaper price, at least it's better than nothing.

for your new k5, im sure lesson has been learned, just be careful with those buckle clip.
i will suggest a hand strap, i got one from ebay for less than $4 and it does prove great secure to the camera.
just a recommendation.
04-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #43
Veteran Member

TS should write in to the makers of the sun-sniper pro strap and tell them their product is crap.
04-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
TS should write in to the makers of the sun-sniper pro strap and tell them their product is crap.
It actually looks like an ok strap the flaw is in how it attaches

the problem with using the tripod mount as the strap mount is it can easily unscrew itself (it is not a locking screw after all) it is only a single point of restraint. i'll stick to neck type straps that i clip on to the body in 2 spots thanks, or use a hand strap (mostly i use no strap though and keep it in my bag unless i am shooting)
04-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dinos Quote
Just because your original body now shoots again, do not assume there is no damage. The noise you mention indicates something is not right, it's probably the sensor SR mounting plate and the startup dust removal feature that causes the noise. That is probably why service said it needs to be replaced.

I would not trust this body to continue working for any period of time, it could fail at any time. Since you have a new body, I would either sell the original for parts, or have it repaired and sell it to try and recoup the repair costs. Note that you may never recoup the costs fully.