Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 Frozen twice in first two weeks already

It has been just about 2 weeks since I bought the new K-5, It already froze twice. I have attached the picture. Has anyone had this problem? First time when it happened I removed the battery (which was fully charged) and put it back it was fine. The power won't shut off even after turning the switch to off position. Should I send it back?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SGH-I917  Photo 
04-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Try upgrading the firmware and see if it happens again. If it ends up being a regular occurrence, then yup, I'd send it in. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Don't know if this helps but mine did the same when I first got it, now it's fine. Always did it on a fresh charge of the battery too.
04-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try upgrading the firmware and see if it happens again. If it ends up being a regular occurrence, then yup, I'd send it in. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
Yes It has the latest firmware 1.13.

04-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Battery on picture is depleted, contrary to description. I had this going with K10D (regardless level of charge, also battery out&in only helped), sent it to Pentax, they tested is, sent it back to me saying it's fine. It eventually stopped doing it...but today, I would ask for replacement...
04-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's with the exposure compensation?
04-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Trapezoid645 Quote
Battery on picture is depleted, contrary to description. I had this going with K10D (regardless level of charge, also battery out&in only helped), sent it to Pentax, they tested is, sent it back to me saying it's fine. It eventually stopped doing it...but today, I would ask for replacement...
I took this picture when the camera froze for the second time. But the very first time, it was fully charged. (Never had this problem with my K10D)

04-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
What's with the exposure compensation?
It was the just the compensation setting it displayed when it froze.I was just experimenting some water droplets shots with flash.
04-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had the freezing problem. But only when shooting in high speed mode for sports. Had to sent it into Pentax for repair. Has been fine since.
04-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Brooke Meyer

Mine (2) will freeze / hang when the battery gets low. Turn off, insert fresh battery, carry on.
04-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #11

I would send it back for a replacement. I have never had a freeze of my K5 in the year I have owned it. I have 3 Pentax batteries and 1 third party and never a freeze whether full or depleted. Same for my K20D. I think this is the norm although more then a few have reported your same problem.

Last edited by jcp5; 04-07-2012 at 07:05 PM.
04-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
I would send it back for a replacement. I have never had a freeze of my K5 in the year I have owned it. I have 3 Pentax batteries and 1 third party and never a freeze weather full or depleted. Same for my K20D. I think this is the norm although more then a few have reported your same problem.
One more freeze, I am sending it back. Thanks
04-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Has anyone had this problem?(
Many previous posts on the subject. Look back through threads in this section. I had a few freezes early on but they cleared up and it has been a long time since.
04-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
I would send it back for a replacement. I have never had a freeze of my K5 in the year I have owned it. I have 3 Pentax batteries and 1 third party and never a freeze weather full or depleted. Same for my K20D. I think this is the norm although more then a few have reported your same problem.
How could the camera work with a depleted battery?
04-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
How could the camera work with a depleted battery?
lol---It can't--K5 with good components will not suffer the "freezing disease" whether the battery is fully charged or low ---as you said you have experienced---. "low" is the the word I should have used---thanks for catching that.

Last edited by jcp5; 04-07-2012 at 07:06 PM.