Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Batteries need a few charges before they work to spec.

04-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Ok It happened again for the third time, I going to return. Do I need to call BH for return? I keep seeing acronym CRIS in this forum... but don't what it is...

Thanks

Mouli.
04-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
I would send it back for a replacement. I have never had a freeze of my K5 in the year I have owned it. I have 3 Pentax batteries and 1 third party and never a freeze weather full or depleted. .....
Agree with all that apart from whether

Pete
04-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by vsmouli Quote
Ok It happened again for the third time, I going to return. Do I need to call BH for return? I keep seeing acronym CRIS in this forum... but don't what it is...

Thanks

Mouli.
To return go online to B&H site and request an RMA number. At the bottom of their home page click on "return policy" You will see a link to get authorization number and shipping instructions. You can call B&H and do this my phone also. B&H is closed for Passover -----"We are not accepting orders at this time. Online ordering will resume at 9:00PM EDT on Wednesday, April 20th"---so I'am not sure you can do this until they open.

CRIS is the Pentax Authorized Warranty Service Center for USA.

Last edited by jcp5; 04-07-2012 at 09:04 PM.
04-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
Brooke Meyer

lol---It can't--K5 with good components will not suffer the "freezing disease" whether the battery is fully charged or low ---as you said you have experienced---. "low" is the the word I should have used---thanks for catching that.
When it happens to me, the battery voltage is getting low but enough to run the display. I don't think it freezes, it just can't function with a lower voltage. I've got a tiny battery in my watch that last for 5 years so the display must take very little current. Of course, it doesn't have to turn a lens focusing mechanism, flip a mirror or move a shutter or run the PC inside my camera. The display shows a low battery, I pop in a new one and like Bryan Peterson recommends, keep shooting. Attached photo from today
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #21

Original Poster
To return go online to B&H site and request an RMA number. At the bottom of their home page click on "return policy" You will see a link to get authorization number and shipping instructions. You can call B&H and do this my phone also. B&H is closed for Passover -----"We are not accepting orders at this time. Online ordering will resume at 9:00PM EDT on Wednesday, April 20th"---so I'am not sure you can do this until they open.

Thank you very much jcp5! I will wait until Wednesday..
04-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #22

Original Poster

My first 30 days get over on the 17th of April, but B&H is open only on the 15th. Even online RMA request is disabled. Hope they do something....

04-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #23

Mine was doing that...sent it in...they replaced the board...been perfect since
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #24

I have this same issue, went into pentax repair twice, first time the firmware was upgraded, but the camera did it, out of the box when it came back from Pentax the first time. It just went out of warranty, being the diehard Pentaxian I am, I just ordered another one. Its been in twice and they say it doesn't do it for them... Hoping the new body is better....
04-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

freeze

when it freezes does it come back to life after a few seconds...i just started having issues...when the lens goes in sleep mode and i push the shutter it it originally would turn on and be ready to immediately....now it seems to freeze and after a few pushes on the button it comes back eventually...i have also had it seem to freeze (won't autofocus) just out of the blue and then will eventually start working...in all cases when i first start using the camera it is fine but after i have taken several pictures it starts to do this...i'm not sure if it is the button not operating or something else...it comes off warranty in a few weeks so not sure what i should do but when you are trying to take pictures of fast moving objects it is impossible to workwith the camera...
04-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #26

it does not come back unless I shut it off and smack the bottom with my hand, that seems to "unfreeze" it. It is also has the shutter itself sticking open, although when I look at the picture, its fine... that is something I find very weird. I called Pentax and they suggest sending it in again and "insisting" on the issue...
04-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #27

Original Poster
Sent it to B&H (man... had to wait for about 8 days because of passover holidays) for an exchange... Hopefully I get something better...
04-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #28

I ordered a new one from Amazon, who has an excellent return policy. The day after I ordered it, it shipped, it was also cheaper than my normal Adorama (also on Passover holiday). I got the new body in 4 days and it works awesome, I also noticed no slop in the shutter button like the other one had and I didn't notice until now.... Contacted Pentax and they suggest resending it in and explaining the issue (done this twice already while it was under warranty and it preformed well for them...) so I'm really hesitate to send it to them again, because this time it will cost me and I feel like the pesty neighbor in this one.... advice???
04-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Caroline1380 Quote
I ordered a new one from Amazon, who has an excellent return policy. The day after I ordered it, it shipped, it was also cheaper than my normal Adorama (also on Passover holiday). I got the new body in 4 days and it works awesome, I also noticed no slop in the shutter button like the other one had and I didn't notice until now.... Contacted Pentax and they suggest resending it in and explaining the issue (done this twice already while it was under warranty and it preformed well for them...) so I'm really hesitate to send it to them again, because this time it will cost me and I feel like the pesty neighbor in this one.... advice???
My suggestions:

1. Stop thinking of yourself as a "pesty neighbor" --this is a business transaction--you have a new K5 body that is right to compare the problem K5 to so you can put that on your repair input form. Pentax Support said send it in.

2. The expense of sending it in for a third time for the same problem---random freezes/hang ups??----call CRIS and tell them to e-mail you a shipping label. They have done this for other people. The front line customer support people are very helpful but if you need to--ask for a supervisor. Add the sloppy shutter button to your repair form and tell them to repair or replace to make it as good as your new K5.

3. They were unsuccessful it repairing it twice when it was under warranty so they should not charge for the repair now. The shutter button is not an expensive fix so maybe they will do "no charge"--you will have to see.

Intermittent problems that do not show up at time of service are still fixable. CRIS has enough experience with K5's now that they need to replace the most likely parts that cause your problem. They need to put a better effort in.

Last edited by jcp5; 04-16-2012 at 07:32 AM.
04-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #30

Strangely enough, I've had a couple of run ins with Pentax products and problems with batteries. My first ever digital camera, an Optio S4, would produce mainly purple pictures when the battery ran low, but the replacement worked fine last time I dusted it off. Then my K-10 started switching itself off when I tilted it in the wrong direction. I finally realised that it was due to a cheap third-party battery - it has worked fine with the original one since.

I would send the camera in, as long as your symptoms are when using the camera normally with a Pentax battery. The freezing just should not happen, and I can't believe that you will have a problem getting it repaired or replaced. Personally I would go for a new replacement, but many swear on refurb products because they have had a more thorough going over to make sure they work.

David