Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

manual stop down problem

for some reason my hanimex 2x auto teleconverter wont stop down or fire at the correct aperature size. all it does is shoot wide open all the time. any ideas on what the problem is?

04-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ckswong Quote
for some reason my hanimex 2x auto teleconverter wont stop down or fire at the correct aperature size. all it does is shoot wide open all the time. any ideas on what the problem is?
Pertaining to K-Mount Lenses

If you are in "Hyper Manual" mode and this is happening, you will need to short the contacts on the camera body with a piece of foil. The teleconverter probably has a painted flange, since it is painted there is no connection of any sort being made to the contacts on the body so the body is thinking you do not have a lens attached and won't activate the stop down linkage. The "grounding or shorting of the contacts" is a built in fall back to allow for older manual pentax k-mount lenses to be used...
04-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
i just put a piece of foil between the last to contacts closest to the red dot on the body and ALAS! it stops down, the screw is inset on the converter causing one of the contacts to not touch the mount. is there a way to fix this without foil?
04-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

With lenses and extension tubes that have a black painted/anodized mount, lightly sanding the part of it that sits over the contacts will do the trick. It exposes the bare metal and shorts the contacts. I use a fine silica sandpaper for this. It should be the same for TCs as long as it has a metal mount.

04-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
fixed it just now, i backed out the one screw that was not making contact till it was. i was thinking of puting a drop of solder on there but i was too lazy to fire up the iron. thanks.