Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #1

Live View Noise

Can anyone explain what the constant noise is when Live View is selected; at first I thought it was some form of Auto Focus. It's not that loud but as you zoom with the lens, it seems to rattle about a bit.

04-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's shake reduction.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's shake reduction.
If I turn SR off, it's not so noisy BUT there's still some 'rattling' going on using LV. Switching to the optical viewfinder, it's a quite as a mouse. I don't understand why it's there for LV unless it's down to the ergonomics of how you hold the camera when using LV.

I've also been reading about problems when recording movies in as much that the noise made by the 'SR mechanism' gets recorded by the internal microphone.
04-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
I've also been reading about problems when recording movies in as much that the noise made by the 'SR mechanism' gets recorded by the internal microphone.
Yup, that's a valid issue with the k5- but somehow they managed to fix it in the k01.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
If I turn SR off, it's not so noisy BUT there's still some 'rattling' going on using LV. Switching to the optical viewfinder, it's a quite as a mouse. I don't understand why it's there for LV unless it's down to the ergonomics of how you hold the camera when using LV.
Turning off SR turns of SR, but it doesn't turn off the mechanism that positions the sensor (which is the SR mechanism). When SR is turned off the sensor positioning mechanism holds the sensor centered in it's frame. When SR is turned on the sensor positioning mechanism moves the sensor in it's frame to correct for camera movement.