Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good aftermarket batteries for K-5 and AC Power adapter

Which aftermarket batteries have people had good experience for the K-5 ?

Also looking for a AC-Power adapter for powering the camera when using timelapses that works with the K-5.

Last edited by photoleet; 04-10-2012 at 09:59 PM.
04-10-2012, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This pearstone battery is pretty good and less than half the price: Pearstone D-LI90 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack D-LI90

The issue is that none of the aftermarket batteries seem to have the same specs as the OEM. If you're looking for a reliable battery solution, I would consider getting the grip and using AA's.

The K-BC90 is the original adapter, though Pearstone and other brands also make them.
Pentax K-BC90 Battery Charger Kit for K7 Digital SLR 39835 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-10-2012, 09:58 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I bought this kit. It comes with 2 batteries, a quick charger and a car adapter; all for 24.99. Word on the internet is they are great and last just as long as an OEM.

Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI90, K-5, K-7, 645D: Camera & Photo
04-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

The K-BC90 is the original adapter, though Pearstone and other brands also make them.
Pentax K-BC90 Battery Charger Kit for K7 Digital SLR 39835 B&H
I could buy two of those batteries for the same price as the OEM and have more than enough power I suppose. Thank you.

On the power adapter I should have mentioned I was looking for the one that powers the camera during a time lapse like shoot.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I bought this kit. It comes with 2 batteries, a quick charger and a car adapter; all for 24.99. Word on the internet is they are great and last just as long as an OEM.

Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI90, K-5, K-7, 645D: Camera & Photo
How's your experience with it ? Does the quick charger really charge batteries quickly ? Also is that the charger for the camera or the battery ?

04-10-2012, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote

How's your experience with it ? Does the quick charger really charge batteries quickly ? Also is that the charger for the camera or the battery ?
The charger is only for the battery. It does charge way faster than the OEM though. I haven't had them long enough to say, but they seem fine. I have heard good things about them, so I took the risk. The price is unbeatable, and everything feels of good quality. Shipping was amazingly fast to boot.
04-10-2012, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

My 3rd party batteries and charger of Ebay for cheap as chips work jsut as well as teh pentac batteries and pentax charger. Can't remember the brand, I don't think they even had a brand
04-11-2012, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I do not like after market batteries after spending so much on the camera why?

04-11-2012, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
I have one hähnel battery for K5. I have experienced few strange firmware and AF errors when using this hähnel battery. With original pentax battery have not noticed same errors.
04-11-2012, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

I use a Jupio battery in my Chinese grip, no problems so far
http://www.jupio.com/Accu-digitale-camera/For-Pentax/Jupio-for-the-Pentax-D-Li90.html
04-11-2012, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I bought 3rd party batteries for k5 from beach camera and amazon, both are ok, has high capacity than the Pentax original.

Now I have 4 batteries, enough for me to go 5 days without changing. Unless I take videos as well.
04-11-2012, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #11

I ordered two Flashpoint (Adorama) batteries when I got my K-5 on the $989 fire sale. At a meager $9.95 each you can get 4 of them and still spend less than a replacement Pentax OEM. I charged up one of those and used it in the camera first (before the OEM) and its still going strong...

Flashpoint ADDLI90 Replacement Battery, Pentax Camera DLI90

For the record, the original Pentax battery is rated at 7.2v at 1850 mAh. While the images show the Flashpoint battery at 7.4v at 1500 mAh, this is incorrect. These batteries are actually 7.2v at 2000mAh! While you may be able to save a dollar or two ordering them on a place like eBay, Id prefer to spend the money at a place like B&H/Adorama, where their customer service will take care of me if there were an issue with one of the batteries.
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #12

I recently bought an Energizer (recognised UK brand) 1860mAh from Amazon UK for the K5 as a back-up battery. It seemed fine when I tested it briefly. However, last week I spent a week camping in the mountains on the Isle of Rum and taken circa 1600 photographs on the K5 and the original Pentax battery managed not to run out. I only used flash on half a dozen or so photographs, but used a Sigma 70 - 300 lens with Optical Stabilisation switched on (which drains battery power) for several hundred photographs . . . all this leaves me wondering why anyone would ever actually need a replacement battery for the K5 as the Pentax one seems to be so reliable.
04-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've had good luck with the Lenmar brand batteries. They make aftermarket batteries for a lot of devices.
04-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have a set of those Wasabi Power K-5 batteries and the accompanying charger, the same set kenafein refers to. I have had them for a year or more, I think.

The batteries are fine. Anecdotally, I don't think they last as long as the original battery, but they were cheap, and I haven't had any functional problems with them whatsoever. They appear to be as nicely made as the original battery.

The charger is fantastic, though. It's compact, doesn't require a cord (WTF, Pentax?), and the prongs of the plug rotate into the body of the charger for easy stowage. I'd say the charger was almost worth the price of the package deal by itself.

I'll admit that I bought that kit for three reasons: (1) price; (2) it's from Amazon rather than some random eBay seller overseas; and (3) the awesome name and green flame logo for Wasabi Power.

How could I go wrong with those criteria? (Don't answer that.)
04-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I'll admit that I bought that kit for three reasons: (1) price; (2) it's from Amazon rather than some random eBay seller overseas; and (3) the awesome name and green flame logo for Wasabi Power.

How could I go wrong with those criteria? (Don't answer that.)
Haha, LOL. And I thought I was the only one who didn't buy certain things because of logos (are you listening DELL ?).