Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Great thread! Vacuuming out your camera sounds interesting (here I was, thinking about using our shop air compressor to really get things moving inside mine). Now there is 'vacuum seal the camera and suck it out with an air mattress pump'. Cool!

After that I would try a squeegee and some windex on the greasy sensor...hey - why not the lenses too?

Hmmm...maybe I'll just bring my whole kit over to the Gas and Wash and have em run it through the detailing line a few times...all my gear clean as a whistle inside and out!

Last edited by jmg257; 04-13-2012 at 06:43 AM.
04-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
Great thread! Vacuuming out your camera sounds interesting (here I was, thinking about using our shop air compressor to really get things moving inside mine). Now there is 'vacuum seal the camera and suck it out with an air mattress pump'. Cool!

After that I would try a squeegee and some windex on the greasy sensor...hey - why not the lenses too?

Hmmm...maybe I'll just bring my whole kit over to the Gas and Wash and have em run it through the detaling line a few times...all my gear clean as a whistle inside and out!
04-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Looking at this from a different point of view now: I wonder how many people who have been happily shooting the K-5 for a year, with no complaints, would find something that looked similar to your image if they shot at f/16 or smaller.
04-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Looking at this from a different point of view now: I wonder how many people who have been happily shooting the K-5 for a year, with no complaints, would find something that looked similar to your image if they shot at f/16 or smaller.
Happens all the time. Anyone who has been using a DSLR for a period of time and claims to have no sensor dust either hasn't seen it, or is a liar. Dust is as inevitable as it is annoying.

04-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Happens all the time. Anyone who has been using a DSLR for a period of time and claims to have no sensor dust either hasn't seen it, or is a liar. Dust is as inevitable as it is annoying.
Exactly what I was thinking. I don't even assess a sensor unless I see an obvious reason to clean it in my results. And I don't stop down and check for dirt until I'm getting ready to clean, so I can get a before and after. I was selling a body once, and the buyer asked me to do a sensor check. I confidently told him there were no worries, because I had never seen a problem in my files, but when I did a test, I was horrified at all the crap, LOL. No big deal, it cleaned up fine with the LensPen. But I love the files I get from my dSLRs, and I don't go looking for trouble. In fact, I got a new K-5 shortly after it was released, and I'm pretty sure i never even checked for sensor stains. I've put 12K frames on it, with not an issue in my final product.
04-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #36

I'm not sold on the vacuum idea, sounds risky.

Do you have an extended warranty that might include a free cleaning?

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I'd take it for a professional clean.
04-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Exactly what I was thinking. I don't even assess a sensor unless I see an obvious reason to clean it in my results. And I don't stop down and check for dirt until I'm getting ready to clean, so I can get a before and after.
Before and after is always good to do. Lately I've been shooting at f./16-22 pretty much daily, I'm getting quite familiar with dust patterns and how long (or not) it takes to show up again.

I'm getting much better with the spot healing brush and clone stamp, too!

04-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #38
Site Supporter

After having given the title some consideration, I don't think "sabotage" is the appropriate term. Fubar may have been better.
04-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #39
Veteran Member

vacuum definitely doesn't sound good.... I would bring it clean professionally.
The force of vacuum is pretty big. ><
04-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is why you do not stick the hose in the camera. You do not want to suck out the focusing screen or the mirror, just the broken off bristles from that dry-rotted cleaning brush . Get it off to the side of the lens mount and create an air flow in the mirror-box. If this sounds too risky, then wet-clean the heck out of it. I have had good results from my Delkin-Devices Sensor Scope cleaning kit, even the included vacuum kinda works.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-13-2012 at 06:34 PM.
04-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Phew...

Good news... decided against vacuum idea, tried it out on broken dusty SLR before tackling the K-5 and found that from a distance, the lowest speed was not enough to pick everything up and the higher speed seemed a bit too strong and didn't want to risk it with the K-5.

Rocket blower came in the mail today. Blew out the dust with that and also removed focusing screen and cleaned up a bit up there while I was at it (not with blower). Went to a camera shop later and asked what they recommended for sensor cleaning and he offered to give me a few wipes that they use. Got home, made a make-shift swab, and wiped- came off perfect, no traces of anything are left.

Thank you very much, everyone!
04-15-2012, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Bonne nouvelle ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Phew... Good news... decided against vacuum idea, tried it out on broken dusty SLR before tackling the K-5 and found that from a distance, the lowest speed was not enough to pick everything up and the higher speed seemed a bit too strong and didn't want to risk it with the K-5.

Rocket blower came in the mail today. Blew out the dust with that and also removed focusing screen and cleaned up a bit up there while I was at it (not with blower). Went to a camera shop later and asked what they recommended for sensor cleaning and he offered to give me a few wipes that they use. Got home, made a make-shift swab, and wiped- came off perfect, no traces of anything are left. Thank you very much, everyone!
Bonjour Julie,

Glad to hear that it all worked out for the best ...

Salut, John le Frog
04-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Ok, I decided to not go for the full vacuum seal option at this stage, but came up with this..

The tube is thin, soft and flexible. I can easily hold it about 3-5mm above a certain spot on the sensor, using my LED headlamp, thus concentrating the suction on a specific spot. The suction is also reduced due to the thin tube.
As I am still sticking to my original comment as the best method,

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
+1

@Julie, I see you have a few lenses, thus your chances of getting dust on the sensor increase every time you change lenses. If you can change lenses in a place where dust would be at a minimum, like a bathroom, or a room where there is no draught, keeping the camera mount pointing down when you mount the lens, after you've cleaned the back of the lens with a blower, the chances of getting dust on the sensor will be minimal. I usually check for dust as soon as possible after changing lenses, because if some dust did manage to get in, it will still be loose and possible to remove with a blower. I found that if you try and remove dust after using the camera for a while, it seems as if the heat of the sensor tends to weld the dust to the sensor, making the removal more difficult, and sometimes the only option is a wet clean. The old saying of "prevention is better than cure" is applicable.
and haven't had any dust problems for a while, I'll wait till the next spot appear, to test the setup
04-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Ok, I decided to not go for the full vacuum seal option at this stage, but came up with this..

The tube is thin, soft and flexible. I can easily hold it about 3-5mm above a certain spot on the sensor, using my LED headlamp, thus concentrating the suction on a specific spot. The suction is also reduced due to the thin tube.
As I am still sticking to my original comment as the best method,

and haven't had any dust problems for a while, I'll wait till the next spot appear, to test the setup
Very neat idea. I'll keep it in mind for next time I need a cleaning!