Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 Shutter Button "tap"

Hi all,

I'd like some advise on my little problem with my k-5's shutter button.

I did not see this problem when I bought it, but lately, (for the last 10-12 days), I see that after I have taken an image, when I release my finger from the shutter button, the button, instead of coming like it should, makes an extra, so-little "tap" sound, and then releases itself. It feels like it is stuck to something on its way back to its original position.

It does not ever affect taking photos, but it is certainly a little nuisance for me. And I frankly don't think it is a big deal, but it just annoys me at times.

I took it to the official Pentax service here, the guy examined it and said; "No need to open up a brand new camera for a thing this small, become it a real problem in the future, then take it back here."

He also told me maybe I spilled some sugary drink there or some little thing got stuck there, but I don't remember doing so. I don't use a separate bag/pack for my camera or lenses, but I have never so ruined anything in my bag

Using an old toothbrush I tried to maybe take off the thing (if any) that might be stuck there, but no luck.

So any information or advise you might give me here is welcome

Last edited by Crosshair; 04-12-2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: word correction
04-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar issue a while back after shooting on an island off the Scottish coast and the camera got soaked by the salty sea air. I've since lost all spring in my K-5's shutter button, it doesn't pop back up at all, so it feels a little worse to press than my K-x for example. But it doesn't affect usability in any way, and I've had it like that for so long now it just feels normal.

I had it serviced for a faulty mirror motor and mentioned the problem but they didn't do anything about it, I'm not particularly fussed though, I've gotten used to it now and don't even notice it.

Perhaps you were somewhere humid or something? In any case you might lose the springiness of your button soon.
04-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Mareket thank you, reading your comments I remember one evening I had to walk under the rain for some time without any umbrella. All the while I had the k-5 in my bag, which is waterproof, and when I got home first thing I checked the camera but not a drop. But the humidity I cannot be sure. But that's all I can remember.

Your button now does not pop back but is not that affecting the half-shutter press?
04-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Doesn't affect the half shutter press at all no. Looking at it now, it does move slightly when you put your finger on it, and that's enough for the half shutter press to feel good and work properly, but it doesn't spring up or have the resistance on the first half that the button on my K-x does. Everything works perfectly fine, it just feels different.

Weirdly enough, normal shutter buttons kinda feel weird now, like they're mushy.

04-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see, I have not seen any aggravatation in this since I saw it first, but I will see what happens. The guy at the service said the plastic springer/seal grounding the shutter button might not be working probably. Maybe that. Thank you for information
04-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Have you tried this stuff? PCB Cleaner : Electronics Cleaners : Maplin Electronics. I saw it recommended on this site for intermittent e-dials - which it solved, as well as bring a mate's Oly DSLR that he'd dipped in beer somewhat back to life - but have since used it for all kinds of things. Great stuff and it might solve your problem by dissolving any gunk that could have formed under your shutter button.
04-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No sir, I never knew such chemicals existed. I am looking into it now.

04-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter

You could also try a damp cloth over the shutter button a bunch of times, drying it after. Cleared mine up after a coke spill incident (actually it was the power switch not the shutter button)
04-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
you're meaning that the damp cloth may dissolve whatever may be stuck there, Deimos?
04-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
you're meaning that the damp cloth may dissolve whatever may be stuck there, Deimos?
Yeah in my case it was just some sugar residue from a pop. It took a few "cleanings" just wiping the area and drying it. But now it doesn't stick anymore.

If whatever is causing the issue is soluble in water this should work. If it is grease or something it wont.
04-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok, I'll give that a try too, thank you Deimos.
04-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you have a Eclipse cleaning system for the sensor, that thing is pure methanol and is pretty good for cleaning out junk from crevices in your camera. I used it when my shutter button got sticky. A few drops, then using a cloth to push the shutter down and wiggle around. The solution isn't that expensive; most of the cost comes from the Eclipse sensor swabs, so you can just get the cleaning solution for cheaper.

The reason why my button got sticky was because my finger sometimes have sweat on it, and it would continually deposit onto the cracks of the shutter button. The residue left afterwards would stick the button.
04-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yarr, try giving it a clean. Not sure I'd buy a specific product for it though, from the feel of things it seems like the button has an air bubble trapped underneath that provides the resistance and springiness. I think if it stops being springy the seal has been damaged and the air has leaked out, so my button has 'deflated'. In which case you won't be able to fix it, but it's not a huge deal anyway.
04-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
now I checked again and there is a "dryness" on the "tap" sound. not sure what this means but feels like it's sticking to something at the front part of it.
------------

@JinDesu thank you, and your reason might as well be my reason too because my hand gets sweaty from continuously holding the camera while outside. I just spray the thing to the button and wait for it to come down, then move the button around right?

@Mareket if that's the case there is nothing to do, I will just have to wait for it to completely lose the springiness and start liking it the new way it is
04-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
now I checked again and there is a "dryness" on the "tap" sound. not sure what this means but feels like it's sticking to something at the front part of it.
------------

@JinDesu thank you, and your reason might as well be my reason too because my hand gets sweaty from continuously holding the camera while outside. I just spray the thing to the button and wait for it to come down, then move the button around right?

@Mareket if that's the case there is nothing to do, I will just have to wait for it to completely lose the springiness and start liking it the new way it is
It's not a spray, it's a small eyedropper bottle thing. You just squeeze 3 drops around the button, see it seep in, and then use a clean cloth to try to wipe around the button and rotate the button. Basically what you are trying to do is dislodge anything that is solid, and to let the solution dissolve every other foreign substance (salt, sugar, chocolate).

Water may work as well, but I preferred the Eclipse solution because:
1) I had extra
2) Methanol dries fast and safe

It took about 2-3 tries to get it cleaned, but my shutter button is nice and springy again.