Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
And you loose your warrenty! I would send it in. Maybe WR isn't an issue when the sealing is under the button.

04-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And you loose your warrenty! I would send it in. Maybe WR isn't an issue when the sealing is under the button.
Hmmmm do you think adding the button would void my warranty? What if the button fell out and someone placed it back in, would that void their warranty also?

Anyways I hadn't thought about that.
I think I might just give it some more though.
04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

There's a clip that needs to go on - even if you found the button (as I did) the clip still needs to go on the back of it. My first thought was that you have to open up the camera, but since I had that thought I can envision designs that alloy you to place it through from the front. My guess is that the camera case needs to be split open, though.
04-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
There's a clip that needs to go on - even if you found the button (as I did) the clip still needs to go on the back of it. My first thought was that you have to open up the camera, but since I had that thought I can envision designs that alloy you to place it through from the front. My guess is that the camera case needs to be split open, though.
I was going to glue the stem on the detention place(or switch). TBH, I'm on the fence with this one. The warranty on this unit expired in a few months(3) and so I'm really not sure what to do. My wife thinks I should just take the hit and install it myself, then again... I might just build the guts to take the camera apart and install it properly

04-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I was going to glue the stem on the detention place(or switch). TBH, I'm on the fence with this one. The warranty on this unit expired in a few months(3) and so I'm really not sure what to do. My wife thinks I should just take the hit and install it myself, then again... I might just build the guts to take the camera apart and install it properly
No guts. no glory. Take lots of pictures and keep us posted on the progress if you decide to tackle it.
04-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #21

What's the manufacture date of your camera? I just bought a k5 and hope they learned to glue it properly by now..
04-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

How many of you guys who've had this happen have had it occur when the button slips and pops back to it's rest position? I've been very careful after my finger slipped off the release button a few times knowing that this can be an issue.

04-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #23

Mine "flew off" when the lens locked in and you hear the click. The clip/spring used by Pentax is just not strong enough to withstand the force that the button gets pushed back out with ---click--. Also maybe that force is greater in some K5's--who knows? K5 has the worst track record compared to past Pentax cameras---which have had this problem but for a smaller %.

Mine has been replaced and glued in it but it is easy enough for me to keep one finger on the LR button while the lens locks in---to reduce that force on the button. I would not be ok to pay ship/ins for just a missing LR button.

My camera manufacture date is Jan 28 2011. Most don't have this problem but this Pentax LR button deign is way to sensitive to failure for the weak parts they are willing to pass--as usable--in production.

Last edited by jcp5; 04-14-2012 at 06:25 AM.
04-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

After reading all these threads about the LR button popping out I am going to attempt to find a solution, and when I do I will post the DIY right here in the forum.
what I am thinking of doing is just take a small thin piece of rubber and glue it on either side of the button, drape it over the button and then glue it on the other side of the button, this way it will retain the button in case it comes loose. It will be a lot like some other folks idea of just putting a piece of tape over it, but my way will be permanent and actually look better since it will be black rubber or maybe even leather. I have some really good glue that I want to use as well.
I will keep you all posted.
04-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This just happened to me last night. Fortunately I was indoors and after a bit of scratching around on the floor I located the button with its conical weather sealing diaphragm still intact.
I have had the K-5 for a couple of years now so I doubt it would be covered under any warrantee.
I have a semi-pro shoot next Saturday, for which I need the camera, so sending it off is not an option anyway.
What glue would people recommend? Cyanoacrylate (superglue), two-pack epoxy or something else? Obviously it will need to be very precisely applied to avoid completely gumming up the mechanism....
04-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I used superglue last year as I too was lucky enough to find the button. Just used a coat of glue on the bottom edge of the little flexible weather seal and carelfully put it in place making sure no glue touched anything until it hit bottom. I did not press the button in or tape it as I was afraid the weather seal would get glued into a wrinkled up mess. So far so good with the repair...probably 9 months or so at this time.
04-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I used superglue last year as I too was lucky enough to find the button. Just used a coat of glue on the bottom edge of the little flexible weather seal and carelfully put it in place making sure no glue touched anything until it hit bottom. I did not press the button in or tape it as I was afraid the weather seal would get glued into a wrinkled up mess. So far so good with the repair...probably 9 months or so at this time.
Wow great news!
04-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Lee. Giving it a go now. The only difference is I placed a tiny bead of glue (with a fine sewing needle) in the base of the circular gutter where diaphragm seats, to avoid it getting stuck on the way in.

Fingers crossed....
04-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #29

Mine fell off a few months ago... I was not so lucky in repairs... out of warranty... I thought I was lucky enough to find the little button... I tried superglue... but it got glued in and wouldn't move! Then I had to chisel it back out with a hammer and chisel! And use nails and paper clips to change lenses!
04-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks PentaxForums-User (nice name, by the way).
I would humbly suggest that outcome was entirely predictable and avoidable with a bit of forethought.