Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Len release button finally fell off!

Well I've officially joined the defective Pentax club(first time actually). Unfortunately Pentax will not be shipping a replacement button to me as I would have hoped so that I could glue it back on, but instead I'm going to have to send my unit out for repairs.

Anyways, I've been watching my lens release getting looser and looser over the past months and so I've been keeping my own camera on a tripod more than usual in my office as a precaution. However, as fate would have it, the button fell off without as much as a trace. And so my efforts were in vain I guess.

Having said that, I'm not too stressed about it since I have other bodies to work with, though if this was my only body then I'd be pretty upset since the migratory seabird season is just around the corner and I'd likely miss much of this due to repair times.

Anyways, I know this isn't very exciting but that's about all I have to report on the issue at this time. Other than that, I can't complain about the K-5 to date. Though I can't help but feel bad for those who have been through the ringer with many of Pentax quality control issues that have been going around since the camera's debut last year

04-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about your camera failure, hope it gets a quick turnaround.
04-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear happened to me in the field on a trip. Lucky I had a small screwdriver set I could use the last few days to change lenses. It's a real PIA but as you said have had so much pleasure out of this camera giving her up for a month was a small price to pay and it's been rock solid since (and Yes I knocked on wood).

Last edited by daacon; 04-12-2012 at 04:10 PM.
04-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
<- Shaking head ......... I've used a lot of film and digital cameras (multiple brands) and the K-5 definitely has issues, but it does take nice pictures

04-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Join the club! I used a modified finishing nail for a few weeks until I could send it in.

It's not fixed in with adhesive (apparently) - there's a circlip that fell off. Using adhesive probably wouldn't work very well.
04-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

So sorry - For a K5 it's like loosing a baby tooth--The next one should be permanent.

Last edited by jcp5; 04-12-2012 at 06:03 PM.
04-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the club.
04-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 here. But I was lucky enough to have it pop off in my hand so I could do a repair that has now held up for a year or so.
I think mine popped only a week after yours DadiP.

04-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
So sorry - For a K5 it's like loosing a baby tooth--The next one should be permanent.
How many teeth do we have? That's getting quite scary waiting for the next tooth to fall out.

04-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

This baby only had one loose tooth. I have used mine 9 of every 10 days for 18 months and all other teeth seem firmly rooted.
04-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Well I've officially joined the defective Pentax club(first time actually).
Congratulations with this achievement! You know the fairytale where the girl finds her way back home following the bread crums? You can find your way back to your studio following the lost teeths
04-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
How many teeth do we have? That's getting quite scary waiting for the next tooth to fall out.

Just that one LR button---My repair ticket said "replaced LR button" then it said "did LR button repair" Somebody said CRIS was gluing them in as part of the repair. Mine does not even "wiggle" now.
04-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good news!
I just got email today Pentax Canada today and they informed me that I can order the button parts myself.

For reference sake, here are the part no's and prices associated with this particular issue:

If you repair the camera then any warranty is voided, and we will charge for the parts.
Apparently three parts are needed, and those are:

0077240 A107 $6.50
0076830 A99 $6.50
0027030 A358 (77777) $7.20

PS. There is a shipping/handling cost of $10.00 and applicable taxes are charged.

What do you guys think?
Should I just order the button and do it myself or send-in the camera?
I'm not really concerned with weather proofing this particular camera as I use it mainly indoors w/older glass.

04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Good news!
I just got email today Pentax Canada today and they informed me that I can order the button parts myself.

For reference sake, here are the part no's and prices associated with this particular issue:

If you repair the camera then any warranty is voided, and we will charge for the parts.
Apparently three parts are needed, and those are:

0077240 A107 $6.50
0076830 A99 $6.50
0027030 A358 (77777) $7.20

PS. There is a shipping/handling cost of $10.00 and applicable taxes are charged.

What do you guys think?
Should I just order the button and do it myself or send-in the camera?
I'm not really concerned with weather proofing this particular camera as I use it mainly indoors w/older glass.

I would seems like a relatively simple repair only concern I would have is the WR Sealing I suppose (which you indicated is not a big deal). Beats the heck of giving up the camera for 6-8 weeks. Maybe a local Tech shop could fix it on site with the proper parts if you are concerned. 50% shipping charge ....obvioulsy not enough markup on those plastic components
04-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I would seems like a relatively simple repair only concern I would have is the WR Sealing I suppose (which you indicated is not a big deal). Beats the heck of giving up the camera for 6-8 weeks. Maybe a local Tech shop could fix it on site with the proper parts if you are concerned. 50% shipping charge ....obvioulsy not enough markup on those plastic components
Yep, you just convinced me

On the issue of pricing, this is nothing compared to some of my wood working tools. Last year one of my children accidentally threw the guard screws(6 of them) off my miter saw(during a part exchange) . At which point I called the company whom I've always considered to have good customer service only to find that it would cost me: $36.00 plus shipping for 6 screws!

Needless to say I laughed at the customer representative as I expressed my discontentment for this and decided to spec the fasteners and order them independently for $3.20 plus shipping. :ugh:

Having said that, we really need regulations based on initial cost for part repair and replacement. This type of behavior has just got to stop imo.