Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Yes this is one of the first things I noticed moving from a K-x to a K-5 (well right after the quiet shutter), image review is very slow compared to a K-x. I use a 32GB "Extreme Pro" card but still instant review is slow and clearing the buffer is slow (just not as slow as it was with a class 6). Problem is the computer inside the K-5 is no more powerful than that in the K-7 or K-x or K-r. I think the K-01 has an upgraded imaging engine (Prime M) which will be a welcome upgrade for the K-5 successor, in fact, why not give us 2 of them like Canon do.

04-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think the K-01 has an upgraded imaging engine (Prime M) which will be a welcome upgrade for the K-5 successor, in fact, why not give us 2 of them like Canon do.
Thought so to but then i saw the performance. The K5 hits almost 6,5 frames per second in RAW while the K-01 drops to 1 FPS, it's not a mechanical limitation this because it can do quite a bit better with JPEG.
Combining processors is quite a bit of work, you will need to recode quite a lot for example to make sure task are spread and things like that.
Also other controls are on the imaging processor chip pentax use so it will get quite messy.
04-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Actually they won't, well up to a point but your card is then already so good as full then but it certainly won't effect read speed only write at the most.
Anvh, there was a thread on PF several months back maybe in excess of a year ago, along the lines of "what every photographer needs to know about memory cards (but that wasn't the title) Anyway, someone had done some testing of writing to an empty card in comparison to a half-full card, i believe, and the results were eye opening. Writing speeds were very much impacted by reduced card space.

I'm not very good at finding things on PF, but did a short amount of searching and could'nt find the old thread that i remember. I can't defend the read speed part of my post, but the writing speed comment was from what seemed like a good source who quoted times and write speeds for several different size cards. It actually motivated me to buy larger cards than i normally use.
04-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Because it's quiet slow, I've disabled instant review. I don't usually use it anyway, I take photos, when I'm done I look at them. If I need to retake stuff, I do it. Since I shoot in RAW I don't need to be 100% accurate in exposure, I can adjust it to my liking at home later on. So usually I only check for blown highlights.

04-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I've disabled instant review too, there's no point to it and it I found it made the camera unresponsive for a split second while I was trying to take more photos. I've also disabled the LCD on the back too (cycling through the info button display options) as the top LCD has all I need for exposure info, and hitting the play button to review the histogram still works OK.
04-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

twitch, I do exactly the same thing as you. If I need to adjust some other settings, which I usually don't, I can easily cycle with the display button.
04-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Anvh, there was a thread on PF several months back maybe in excess of a year ago, along the lines of "what every photographer needs to know about memory cards (but that wasn't the title) Anyway, someone had done some testing of writing to an empty card in comparison to a half-full card, i believe, and the results were eye opening. Writing speeds were very much impacted by reduced card space.

I'm not very good at finding things on PF, but did a short amount of searching and could'nt find the old thread that i remember. I can't defend the read speed part of my post, but the writing speed comment was from what seemed like a good source who quoted times and write speeds for several different size cards. It actually motivated me to buy larger cards than i normally use.
Couldn't find anything to be honest.
Beside that you're talking about write and not read speed, read is what is important for image preview.
04-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I did deactivate the lcd too, but since I change AF points much and since the k-5 does not show on teh upper screen or in the viewfinder the AF points selected, I had to turn the lcd back on. bummer.

04-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
I think deactivate instant review is not a solution.
We must chase Pentax to fix this by give them complaints.
04-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
I did deactivate the lcd too, but since I change AF points much and since the k-5 does not show on teh upper screen or in the viewfinder the AF points selected, I had to turn the lcd back on. bummer.
K5 does show the active focus point. I think it's an option in the menu somewhere. It's displayed in red in the viewfinder. I've just checked it on my K5.
04-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

It displays when autofocusing or changing the AF point. Other than that I couldn't find how to always show the active AF point.

edit: in the viewfinder of course
04-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Time to display a large/premium JPEG file immediately after capture.
2 seconds for the K5
0,6 secs for the D7000

Time to display a large/premium JPEG file already on the memory card.
0.2 secs K5
0.3 secs D7000

The K5 probably first process the file, write it to the SD and then upload it again, the D700 probably takes some short cuts.
My K5 does not take 2s to display the picture after a shot. One second tops, (just tried it) raw or jpeg seems to take the same amount of time.

Edit I retested it, raw pretty much one second. jpeg definitely less then a second. (I watched a clock on the pc screen, took a picture of it and it is displayed on the back of the camera before the second number is changed on the PC, so less then one second.)

Last edited by Gimbal; 04-16-2012 at 11:09 AM.
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

maybe the improved it with firmware?
Numbers are from imaging resource with the first firmware.

I don't see why they should lie about it.
04-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Could be.
top-quark, have you upgraded your firmware? Because if you are shooting jpeg, with no aftereffects turned on, below iso 3200, the preview should be pretty much instantaneous, (Well, less then a second.)
04-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot raw. Review ia a second or less. I did notice, just now as I tested it, the LCD stays off if you keep pressure on the shutter. Never noticed before.