Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-5: not so instant review

Just got me a k-5. Very nice, of course. One thing I'm not happy with is the "instant review" speed. I've been using a k-r up to this point and I'm used to taking a picture and seeing a review image on the rear screen right away. I'd expect the same performance from the new camera but it actually takes two or three seconds to appear which feels really slow.

I'm wondering whether there's a setting I'm missing. Don't thinks it's the card since I've not had write speed issues with it before. I did simply remove the card from the k-r and stick it in the k-5. Should I have formatted it with the new body?

Something else: am I the only one who doesn't like the k-5 shutter? I've grown used to a satisfying, positive click. I daresay I'll grow used to it, but the lack of positive feedback is disconcerting.

04-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the lens correction settings on?
That would explain it.
04-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW? Are you shooting the same size files in both the K-5 and the K-r? I think that the file size and the time it takes the camera to process it would be the time difference.
04-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #4

Can't say that I've noticed any slowness myself having moved from a K10 but maybe it's 'cause there's more to save with a 16M sensor or perhaps it's the speed of the SD Card you are using.

Personally, I much prefer the sound of K5 shutter mechanism to that of the K10.

04-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I love the quieter K5 shutter - perfect for indoors theatre work!

I'm not having any problems with instant review speed. I buy nothing but the SD Extreme cards, 16gig now.

Apparently, when cards get fuller, it takes longer for them to write and read. You definitely should reformat the card with a different camera, also try to keep old pics off the cards by removing them promptly once you get home - helps the speed.

I don't use any picture correction option and shoot only in raw.
04-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Apparently, when cards get fuller, it takes longer for them to write and read.
Actually they won't, well up to a point but your card is then already so good as full then but it certainly won't effect read speed only write at the most.

Last edited by Anvh; 04-15-2012 at 01:15 PM.
04-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most likely explanation is that you have some of the lens correction features on.

And yes, I would reformat the card in the k-5 but I doubt that has anything to do with the review times. I used the same cards in my k-x and now in the k-5 and did not notice any difference in review times despite the larger file size. I do shoot only RAW though.

I suppose the shutter sound is a personal thing but I much prefer the k-5 sound over the k-x

04-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the pointers. Just checked: no lens correction on. Not shooting raw + jpeg. Tried different image size / quality. No difference. Formatted the card in camera. No difference. Somewhat puzzled.
04-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Forum Member

I have two SanDisk cards; one class 6 and one class 10. The class 6 card is so slow compared to the class 10 card i almost think there has got to be something wrong with it, and i won't be buying anything slower again. Now, i have turned off the instant review, so viewing pics takes a second or two longer( for the fast card), but with it on, it didn't take much time at all, it was almost instant. Again, this was with the fast class 10 card; the class 6 card used several seconds.
04-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

after nikon I realized the same situation in the k-5, instant review is slow. i hate waiting after a shot while looking at a blank screen, so I decided to buy a class 10 card. the problem was mitigated, but not still at the level of a nikon, so I gave up and decided to live with it. nowadays I am shooting jpeg in order to test the quality, there is no problem with the instant review being instant but even in this card the DNG files make you wait 1 second or so for instant review.
04-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #11

" No difference. Somewhat puzzled."

Do a "reset" ----it is in set-up menu 3--the one with the wench symbol --last item. Power down/up after reset. What firmware version is on your new K5 and have you upgraded to 1.13?

Last edited by jcp5; 04-15-2012 at 01:58 PM.
04-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
after nikon I realized the same situation in the k-5, instant review is slow. i hate waiting after a shot while looking at a blank screen, so I decided to buy a class 10 card. the problem was mitigated, but not still at the level of a nikon, so I gave up and decided to live with it. nowadays I am shooting jpeg in order to test the quality, there is no problem with the instant review being instant but even in this card the DNG files make you wait 1 second or so for instant review.
Time to display a large/premium JPEG file immediately after capture.
2 seconds for the K5
0,6 secs for the D7000

Time to display a large/premium JPEG file already on the memory card.
0.2 secs K5
0.3 secs D7000

The K5 probably first process the file, write it to the SD and then upload it again, the D700 probably takes some short cuts.
04-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well K-5 is slower then K-r due to having the same processing engine, but handling more megapixels that in RAW are 14-bit instead of 12-bit.
04-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

@Anvh thanks for the numbers,

and yeah, I suppose those are the reasons, more MP and bits and all, but nikon clearly found a better way for that in the D7000. I hope Pentax is gonna come up with a software solution for that but I have gotten used to it so far and I won't be disappointed if this isn't addressed.
04-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Check highlight/shadow correction, as well as lens correction. Having both active significantly slowed things on my K-r. (These features also significantly affect performance on a comparable Nikon, fwiw).