Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Functionally any kind of improvement is welcome, but I have not needed something badly.
However, I hope Pentax let us customize one or two buttons (look at Olympus EM-5 and get some idea). I have not touched that stupid RAW key since when I played with it on my K10 upon arrival in 2006, and have always wished for a dedicated SR key on K-7 and K-5, then a bracketing key.
Pentax has overkill with 2 dials + exposure & ISO buttons (2 dials + 1 shift key could give you all the 4 controls anyhow) and they just removed the SR key from K10/20 design...

04-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think Adam expects a new body design as that seems to be the cycle Penax have adopted recently. One iteration to be an all new body design (K10, K7), the next to keep the same body and be a heart transplant (K20, K5).
Would it also mean it's better to skip this (expected) 2012 model for the next improved model based on the same platform?
04-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What are the issues with the current ergonomics?
None- but things have to keep moving forward, and you can always make improvements no matter how good the end result is. Not everyone follows the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule, sadly

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
K-5 has it from the very beginning.
Ah, I mistyped I meant full 1080P at 30 fps - meaning 1920x1080, it does have 1280x720 at 30 fps

04-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
I was about ready to decide on a K5 but this thread makes me think I should reconsider the D7000, especially when I read comments like, "like Nikon's."

Dangit. I'm now back to being undecided and confused.
It's better if you can experience both K5 and D7000. Each one has pros and cons.
In my opinion, D7000 got better features, performance, focusing but I refer to K5 which has very good build, tougher, smaller, cheaper and nice image quality.
Bring it all day is more comfortable than D7000
Last time, I also have to choose between D7000 and K5. Now I'm using K5 and studying how to gain all its value.

Hope you soon get the camera that suitable to you.
04-18-2012, 03:41 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not everyone follows the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule, sadly
Sadly, you are right.
04-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Softly back lit buttons on camera
A couple more programmable buttons (not more functions but more buttons to put them on)
A menu system that rotates when you rotate the camera.
Dual hotshoe attachment (let you use the flash with the O-GPS1 unit)

04-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #38
Inactive Account

What are the issues with the current ergonomics?

Why, if there are "minimal" issues, should the camera get "an entirely different body design"?

I think the K-5 could be a little bit bigger perhaps but why radically change something that works well and is superiour to Canikon designs?
a possible flip out screen, 2 SD card slots + dedicated video button already require a serious modification of the design. these are add ons

photo wise, the K seems perfect. If I could ask for something I would love for pentax to make the AF better and If posible utilize the Sony 24Mp sensor (but implement it better than it was in the NEX 7). A better focusing screen, bigger viefinder and an uncripelled mount would be GREAT. but thats day dreaming already.

video wise, it has a long way to go. dedicated video button, full manual controls, more video recording options, a flip out screen etc... and fix the overheating issue

personally, I would not want it to get bigger. I like its size, but I would not mind a little less weight.

p.s. would it even be possible to "decripple" the mount?
04-18-2012, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #39

Evolutional changes:
  • RAW histogram and highlight/shadow blinking based on RAW data
  • Auto ISO implementation like in new Nikons, i.e. current Pentax implementation + ability to set minimum shutter speed.

Radical change:
Get rid of Mode dial. Add three buttons (ISO, Aperture, Shutter) instead. Button + green button would set ISO/Aperture/Shutter to Auto value, button + control wheel would set user desired value.
Benefits:
  • 8 shooting modes: Hyper Manual (all set by user), Av, Tv, Sv, TAv, TSv, ASv, Hyper program (all set to Auto).
  • Possibility to save any of those modes into User modes.
By the way, maybe it's a good idea to remove all other switches and dials and put buttons instead. Button + control wheel would change the value? This would enable saving everything into User modes.
- I've been thinking along these lines too, but a bit different: 3 dials (Aperture, Shutter, ISO). Push a dial to set it to auto mode.
Though i do love the current layout.

- I'd also like the ability to manually set the power of the pop-up flash (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 power, etc) This is especially with the use of legacy lens / M42.
I use the pop-up a lot with the K5, since i have no clearance problems thanks to the small size of limited and legacy lens.
(This could even be a firmware update)

- Better standard focusing screen. I've upgraded to a Canon S type and i'm very impressed with it.

- I don't really care for more resolution, but (even) better low ISO i would like a lot.

The rest has already been mentionned, but i'll just write what's more important for me:
- Higher-spec AF system with more accuracy, more points and better AF-C. I recognize the K5 is a HUGE improvement over my previous Pentax (the istdL).
- Manual video overrides

I really like the K5. The above is just about refining the already refined!
04-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #40

I've been real happy with my K5 but my two main gripes would be-

* Dump the dual mode on the OK button (i.e. switching between selecting focus points and flash/WB modes etc). This *STILL* gets me while shooting.
* Source for different front e-Dials. I had to send my body in after 11 months because the front e-Dial would read values erratically. CRIS "fixed" it but here I am, 7 months later, and I have to send it back to CRIS to get the same issue repaired AGAIN. Meanwhile, my K10d operates just fine.

Oh- and one other thing I would like Pentax to do is integrate a viewfinder shield to prevent light seepage through the viewfinder in modes other than Manual. Canon SLRs have this built in to their viewfinders.
04-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ndhonghai Quote
It's better if you can experience both K5 and D7000. Each one has pros and cons.
In my opinion, D7000 got better features, performance, focusing but I refer to K5 which has very good build, tougher, smaller, cheaper and nice image quality.
Bring it all day is more comfortable than D7000
Thanks very much.

This is exactly what I am doing right now. I do think the D7k has better AF but not sure what you mean by it having better performance and features. Good news is both cameras have allowed me to take the best shots I have ever taken in my life. They may not be good enough for the experts here but maybe one of these days, I can take pics at that semi-pro level. For now, user friendliness, personal preferences and upgradability are the main considerations.
04-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
For now, user friendliness, personal preferences and upgradability are the main considerations.
User friendliness goes to K-5. Upgradability to D7000 (upgrade path path to FF). Personal preference - well, that's just up to you
04-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #43
Pentaxian

User friendliness goes to K-5. Upgradability to D7000 (upgrade path path to FF). Personal preference - well, that's just up to you
Hence my dilemma.

Actually, I returned the Nikon a few moments ago. While the D7000 is a superb camera, it is the K5 that consistently produced better results in my newbie hands and eyes. I am now a full blooded K5 toting Pentaxian.
04-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Things I'd like to see:
  • Improved AF. No low-light front focus.
  • Smaller AF areas (not necessarily more).
  • One high-precision (f/2.8) AF area.
  • Allow manual operation of the top-LCD light.
  • Full manual controls for video.
  • Bring back the blur contributed by the shutter back to K20D levels.
  • Ability to self-calibrate the electronic level.
  • Improve quality control. No lens release buttons falling off, please.

Dream territory:
  • Wireless connection for "tethered" shooting and bulk image transfer. Allow ad-hoc networks with laptop wireless cards.
  • Additional (shift) motion sensors to support shake reduction during macro shooting.
  • Hybrid viewfinder with optical image as usual and optional overlay of additional information, such as histogram, focus peaking, highlight warning, etc.
  • Full-frame sensor.
+ Uncrippled mode (changeable by menu)
+ Electronic external viewfinder for video
+ Manual focus controls through AF (+/- buttons) on the left side (thumb)
+ Headset jack
+ 60" shutter speed
+ +/- 5 EV bracketing
+ Wifi tether and transfert
+ Gps + Wifi in grip
04-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
uncrippled K-mount