Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Android based to sync with gps, cell phone and 0-gps1. Imagine using Google Sky Map in live view on a swivel screen. Remote triggering with live view from Android phone. It could be so feature rich! So many possibilities! Why hasn't anyone jumped on this?

04-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
Android based to sync with gps, cell phone and 0-gps1. Imagine using Google Sky Map in live view on a swivel screen. Remote triggering with live view from Android phone. It could be so feature rich! So many possibilities! Why hasn't anyone jumped on this?
Hello to fellow Android user;-)
04-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Better finder for manual focus
Un-crippled mount for M & K lenses
Easier manual metering with older lenses than the hard-to-pull preview lever. (Put the preview back where the LX had it!)
04-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Evolutional changes:
  • RAW histogram and highlight/shadow blinking based on RAW data
  • Auto ISO implementation like in new Nikons, i.e. current Pentax implementation + ability to set minimum shutter speed.

Radical change:
Get rid of Mode dial. Add three buttons (ISO, Aperture, Shutter) instead. Button + green button would set ISO/Aperture/Shutter to Auto value, button + control wheel would set user desired value.
Benefits:
  • 8 shooting modes: Hyper Manual (all set by user), Av, Tv, Sv, TAv, TSv, ASv, Hyper program (all set to Auto).
  • Possibility to save any of those modes into User modes.
By the way, maybe it's a good idea to remove all other switches and dials and put buttons instead. Button + control wheel would change the value? This would enable saving everything into User modes.

Last edited by Edvinas; 04-16-2012 at 08:38 PM.
04-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd add some simple things in addition to the obvious.

1) Give me an LED flashlight via the focus assist light or an indicator light so I can change lenses in the dark.
2) Give me another hot shoe or an accessory where I can mount two flashes or one flash and the O-GPS-1 module.
3) Give me a headphone jack so I can monitor the video sound and change the levels as I record (maybe a low pass filter would be nice.)
4) Give me another tripod mount socket like the old 645.
5) Give me the ability to hook up an external drive and copy images directly to an external hard drive without using a computer - an image bank capability without taking the SD card out of the camera.
6) Give me a cold weather battery pack / external battery pack for the camera.
04-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was about ready to decide on a K5 but this thread makes me think I should reconsider the D7000, especially when I read comments like, "like Nikon's."

Dangit. I'm now back to being undecided and confused.
04-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #22
Inactive Account

= Use a video file format that doesn't eat an entire SD card for each clip.
= More button function assignments

04-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #23

A fully working AE-L Function

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
This annoys me too. Not as much as the AE-lock not working properly in manual though (ISO).

The last time I mentioned this several people argued there was something wrong with my brain, so I'll give an example of when it would be useful:

I have the exposure as I want it, with whatever aperture I want. I'm at say ISO 200, shutter 1/30. Now I see something moving, I want to shoot it at 1/250. This needs ISO 1600. I now want to press AE-L and turn a wheel 6 clicks. This works if I want to open my aperture three stops and I'm using a lens where the camera controls the aperture. Neither is likely to be the case, and I want the camera to adjust the ISO. (I actually have to turn a wheel 6 clicks, press ISO and turn a wheel 6 more clicks, which isn't as quick. Really, it isn't.)

I could accept having to press ISO as well, but I should only have to do that with a lens with camera controlled aperture. (And a setting where it defaults to moving the ISO would be preferred.)

If there is some enormous philosophical barrier to having this in a mode called "manual" I don't care if they call it something else, but please don't argue that I should use an automatic mode, it's not equivalent. And there is a place for a manual mode which isn't actively sabotaging me, even if most people would never even notice it's there.

Sorry for ranting.
No. You're not ranting.

I also find the fact that AE-L does not always lock the exposure extremely annoying - none more so that being told I'm using the K5 incorrectly or the K5's too much of a camera for me!

With firmware v1.11 AE-L didn't work at camera default settings but with v1.12, it does. However, if you set C5 menu setting 'AE-L with AF Locked' set to ON it will regularly fail on all modes (except TAv Mode) even though it's a legitimate setting as referred in the User Manual. Interestingly, in TAv Mode you can even set C6 'AE linked to AF Point' set to ON & it still works JUST LIKE the *istDS & K10 that I own!
04-17-2012, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
I was about ready to decide on a K5 but this thread makes me think I should reconsider the D7000, especially when I read comments like, "like Nikon's."

Dangit. I'm now back to being undecided and confused.
First of all, "like new Nikons" do not include D7000. They are D4 and D800.

Second - if I would write what improvements I want in Nikon D7000, there you would find many, not single, points saying "like Pentax K-5".

JFIY I am using both Pentax and Nikon DSLRs.

Last edited by Edvinas; 04-17-2012 at 02:36 PM.
04-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #25

I'd like to see more control out of the timer - like set the length of the timer and then set the # of pics to take after the timer runs.

I'd like to see the liveview reflect the current settings - so if you lower the iso, the liveview gets darker, etc.

I'd like to see the back lens cap wide enough to get to the weather sealing seal so that the WR lenses are wr even when not on the camera.

I'd like to see the option to use the 2 second timer with mirror lock up

I'm sure there are some video options I'd like to see, but I haven't really used video much yet. I think 1280 HD w/ 30 fps is one of them though.

I think the k-5 is an awesome camera, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be even more awesome.
04-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom G Quote
I'm sure there are some video options I'd like to see, but I haven't really used video much yet. I think 1280 HD w/ 30 fps is one of them though.
K-5 has it from the very beginning.
04-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Things I'd like to see:
  • Improved AF. No low-light front focus.
  • Smaller AF areas (not necessarily more).
  • One high-precision (f/2.8) AF area.
  • Allow manual operation of the top-LCD light.
  • Full manual controls for video.
  • Bring back the blur contributed by the shutter back to K20D levels.
  • Ability to self-calibrate the electronic level.
  • Improve quality control. No lens release buttons falling off, please.

Dream territory:
  • Wireless connection for "tethered" shooting and bulk image transfer. Allow ad-hoc networks with laptop wireless cards.
  • Additional (shift) motion sensors to support shake reduction during macro shooting.
  • Hybrid viewfinder with optical image as usual and optional overlay of additional information, such as histogram, focus peaking, highlight warning, etc.
  • Full-frame sensor.

Last edited by Class A; 04-17-2012 at 08:54 PM.
04-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #28
Forum Member

User calibration of electronic level, for cryin out loud.
04-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm personally expecting the K-3 (or whatever they'll end up calling it) to have an entirely different body design, so I hope Pentax makes it handle even better than the K-5 while addressing issues with the current ergonomics (which are minimal if you ask me, but I do agree with most of your points).
What are the issues with the current ergonomics?

Why, if there are "minimal" issues, should the camera get "an entirely different body design"?

I think the K-5 could be a little bit bigger perhaps but why radically change something that works well and is superiour to Canikon designs?
04-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I think Adam expects a new body design as that seems to be the cycle Penax have adopted recently. One iteration to be an all new body design (K10, K7), the next to keep the same body and be a heart transplant (K20, K5).