Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Things you want Pentax to improve on K5

To me, I have some and hope Pentax can improve in next firmware or camera:
- Mode dial button: the lock button is good to prevent from moving but can make it better: press down to lock, press it again to release lock
- Shoot button: the half press is too slight, I want it more feeling
- Delete button: you have to press once then press Up + OK to delete. Why don't press Delete twice to delete? (*)
- Timer shooting: allow customize the timer, currently, it is 2 secs, 12 secs only
- Instant review after shooting: must improve this to let it be faster. It's too slow, like an old man or normal dslr (*)
- Allow fast switching between modes (user 1, user 2, etc.) when in User Mode, no need to dig in Menu
- The metering mode button really hurts my finger
- Auto image rotation should be enable when reviewing photos, currently don't have this feature (*)

(*) High priority

>> Update from contributors <<
- Faster image processing
- The rear AF button should wake up the camera, not just the shutter button (that gets me all the time!)
- Electronic level user calibration
- No FF in artificial light
- Options for Zoom AF calibration
- Improve AF speed
- Improve vignetting correction
- More and smaller crossed AF points.
- 1080p and 720p video output to capture 60 to 100 fps with full manual control and full time AF.
- Dedicated video button.
- Better AF-C performance.
- Dual card slot.
- Take advantage of fast SD cards
- Improve RAW histogram
- Auto ISO mode: ability to set minimum shutter speed
- Possibility to save any of modes into User modes
- Add more video format
- More button function assignments
- Option to use the 2 second timer with mirror lock up
- Pop up flash would also nice to have manually adjustable power (like 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc power)
- Separate joystick to select AF points
- HDR mode with raw format (able to post process)
- Allow turn off the zoom feature when focusing in Live View
- Manual calibration of the electronic level

Last edited by ndhonghai; 05-21-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Update
04-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ndhonghai Quote
- Instant review after shooting: must improve this to let it be faster. It's too slow, like an old man or normal dslr (*)
This will definitely be improved in the next DSLR- Prime M in the K-01 is already a lot faster

I'm personally expecting the K-3 (or whatever they'll end up calling it) to have an entirely different body design, so I hope Pentax makes it handle even better than the K-5 while addressing issues with the current ergonomics (which are minimal if you ask me, but I do agree with most of your points).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Apart from the obvious (we have enough threads on that already):

Faster image processing engine
The rear AF button should wake up the camera, not just the shutter button (that gets me all the time!)
Electronic level user calibration
No FF in artificial light
Options for Zoom AF calibration

Last edited by twitch; 04-16-2012 at 02:19 AM.
04-16-2012, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not quite sure if we're talking about the same thing, but auto image rotation is an option in the Playback/Review Menu.

Otherwise, your suggestions are a good list of nice-to-have features. The main things I'd like are improved AF speed (a common wish, at least here in the Forums) and I'd really like viewfinder blinds (sorry to go on about them, but with the sun at your back, using Live View or simply holding the camera above your head to get a shot introduces stray light into the eyepiece, and my thumbs aren't that long ). A 35FF sensor in the same body would be nice, too, but not absolutely essential.

04-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Vignette lens correction

I'd like a vignetting correction as seen in some other brands. Some DA lenses suffer from severe
vignetting, eg. the kit lens at 18mm. And make all lens corrections hardware accelerated.
The current firmware implementation is annoying.

Regards,
--Anders.
04-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Otherwise, your suggestions are a good list of nice-to-have features. The main things I'd like are improved AF speed (a common wish, at least here in the Forums) and I'd really like viewfinder blinds (sorry to go on about them, but with the sun at your back, using Live View or simply holding the camera above your head to get a shot introduces stray light into the eyepiece, and my thumbs aren't that long ). A 35FF sensor in the same body would be nice, too, but not absolutely essential.
Good thoughts, especially improved AF. Perhaps AF systems will never be quite good enough, but the technology is available to do better right now.

But I do think a FF sensor is essential, because it allows us to take full advantage of our current FF lenses, and gives us the full DOF control and wider angles that we paid for, especially with lenses like the FA31.

Both of the above only matter because Pentax has great glass that we want to use to the fullest.
04-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
Focusing issues and vignetting correction are long war that all camera brands are fighting.
We should give them things that possible to update/fix in next firmware.

04-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #8

the 2times delete button, custom timer, and the calibration of the electronic level, can should be a firmware update for the k-5
IMO a better low light AF is a must, instant review can be achieved with a new, faster processor, you can have instant review right now if you disable the lens distortion and chromatic aberration correction... some ergonomics could be better, quality control should be definitely better, especialy with all these "button fell off" threads...

Last edited by obscura; 04-16-2012 at 02:22 AM.
04-16-2012, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

-More and smaller crossed AF points.
-1080 and 720p video output to capture 60 to 100 fps with full manual control and full time AF.
(the apsc sensor is easily 5 to 10 times larger than those expensive *cost like a small car* Full HD camera that used in hollywood film making industry, hence the reasonably priced WR K3 should be a hit with the Steven Spielberg wannabes!)
-dedicated video button.
-better AF-C performance.
-dual card slot.
04-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Autofocus is the most critical matter (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/181885-analysis-pe...provement.html for more information on how PENTAX can improve AF); almost as important is dual UHS-I capable SDXC slots. As it stands, these are the only major missing features (at least to me) in the K-5. Video shooters will certainly appreciate a dedicated video button.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 04-16-2012 at 04:04 AM.
04-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Want a really good track focusing system like Nikon
Want any new model to be compatible with everything on the K5
04-16-2012, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The rear AF button should wake up the camera, not just the shutter button (that gets me all the time!)
This annoys me too. Not as much as the AE-lock not working properly in manual though (ISO).

The last time I mentioned this several people argued there was something wrong with my brain, so I'll give an example of when it would be useful:

I have the exposure as I want it, with whatever aperture I want. I'm at say ISO 200, shutter 1/30. Now I see something moving, I want to shoot it at 1/250. This needs ISO 1600. I now want to press AE-L and turn a wheel 6 clicks. This works if I want to open my aperture three stops and I'm using a lens where the camera controls the aperture. Neither is likely to be the case, and I want the camera to adjust the ISO. (I actually have to turn a wheel 6 clicks, press ISO and turn a wheel 6 more clicks, which isn't as quick. Really, it isn't.)

I could accept having to press ISO as well, but I should only have to do that with a lens with camera controlled aperture. (And a setting where it defaults to moving the ISO would be preferred.)

If there is some enormous philosophical barrier to having this in a mode called "manual" I don't care if they call it something else, but please don't argue that I should use an automatic mode, it's not equivalent. And there is a place for a manual mode which isn't actively sabotaging me, even if most people would never even notice it's there.

Sorry for ranting.
04-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #13

and manual ISO control in movie mode
04-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

These things would make the K5 a better camera

Instant image review - like Nikon cameras have based - get a p-rom. I don't want to wait several seconds for a review.
Take advantage of fast SD cards. At the moment the K5 is compatible, but not taking advantage of really fast cards.

Software control - tether.

Better quality control or better engineering.

What I really want

Electronic viewfinder with live view. No more mirror boxes... Lenses that take advantage of such a design!
04-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Want a better K-5? Make it full frame.