Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I started with K-5 in november 2010, own 2 K-5's and am running on a K-5 Silver and a black copie (wich is my fifth black K-5). I'm getting close to 200.000 pictures in total. I really don't remember when and if my camera would have a hick-up because I'm always running to the next thing. The K-5 is a very capable camera for intensive work, wheater that is in the hot sun, snow cold or in the pooring rain.

04-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Have had a K5 for almost a yr now taken at least 3000 maybe 10000 I don't keep count and haven't looked in the data to see. But I have not had ANY problems at all even after a 5 ft drop onto carpet over concrete floor in Australia. Only other comment - when I did the firmware upgrade my focus time got waaaay better it was alot faster than my K10 before the upgrade and doubled it's focus speed after the upgrade.
04-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine works since the day i got it. 21 Dec 2011
04-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #19
Col
Veteran Member

Well I'm not sure if I may post here as I bought my first K-5 as soon as they came out in October 2010, so fast that the sensor hadn't dried.

The warranty replacement has worked steadfastly since March 2011 reaching 18k shutter actuation's.

04-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my K5 in November on the Black Friday special that Adorama had and I have been very happily firing off shots ever since. I've had other things going on in the past weeks with cars and home repairs so I haven't been shooting and I'm still going through the thousand or more shots I took on vacation last month. It performed well in some very adverse weather in January when I spent a few days shooting at the Winter Dew Tour. Below 0F temps and blowing snow, it was the coldest week of the winter. The dynamic range of the sensor incredible and along with much improved exposure adjustment capabilities available in Lightroom 4, you can easily get results that would have required a 3 or more shot HDR job. The AF is better than my K10D and the burst speed it twice what I had before. I have been getting excellent high ISO shots up to 12800. It will go higher but I haven't had to use a higher ISO than that yet. I have no second thoughts of shooting without flash indoors and I don't think I've even mounted my flash on the K5 yet. My K10D is still getting used too. I was able to get some shots at the Dew Tour that only happened because I carried 2 cameras, one with a telephoto and the other with a wide angle. My K10D has been a reliable workhorse for 4 1/2 years and I expect nothing less from my K5. Spring has arrived early, I have a new Harley in the garage and it's time to get out and shoot.
04-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had mine for 6 months and no issues. Seriously love this camera...
04-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

No problems or issues..............it simply does everything I need with no problems............

anyone suffering from analysis paralysis should make the purchase and enjoy the summer with a new K-5

04-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Have had a K5 for almost a yr now taken at least 3000 maybe 10000 I don't keep count and haven't looked in the data to see. But I have not had ANY problems at all even after a 5 ft drop onto carpet over concrete floor in Australia. Only other comment - when I did the firmware upgrade my focus time got waaaay better it was alot faster than my K10 before the upgrade and doubled it's focus speed after the upgrade.
I just got one a week or so ago. So far it works really well except I think the AF is slow. I'll have to see if mine needs this firmware upgrade. Thanks very much for posting this. My son thinks he is an athlete so I really want this camera to work for indoor and outdoor sports.

GDRoth - I hope to end my analysis paralysis soon and just enjoy taking pics.
04-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #24
Inactive Account

What a great thread!! Had my K5 for almost 8 months, shot over 10 000 pictures, no issues whatsoever. A couple of scratches on my LCD (lesson learned to get a LCD cover right away and some body scratches here and there because i dont play barbie with my K5...it's my adventure comrade.
04-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Had mine since middle of December, it's been out in the snow, it's been doing a bit of astrophotography at night in the winter, it's been doing some professional house photography and panoramic work. It's been used with flash and without flash and with the O-GPS1 unit and I still haven't even lost the hotshoe cover yet.

I did purchase a set of plastic LCD covers though.

It's worked with some old lenses, both old K-mount and screw mounts.

So far, nothing has fallen off, it's not frozen up, I can't see any stains on the sensor.

One thing I WOULD like, is to have the buttons illuminated with a soft red glow or really soft white glow (NOT BLUE!!) for night photography and a couple more dedicated & programmable buttons.

Then it would be practically perfect, oh and if the menu display on the back LCD could be rotated when the camera is rotated.

It also feels good, slightly heavy for it's size and solidly built.
04-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Personally, I'd like to see a poll covering the common issues so that we can gather statistics.
I also think the results should include the total no. of users(somehow) as well as a no-problem group.
04-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I can't figure out how to change the D pad reliably to AF point select.
Press and hold the OK button - toggles between 4-point WB/Flash/etc and AF selection. Which mode it is in can be checked by what is highlighted on the LCD.
04-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Does anyone want to work up a poll associated with this Thread? There's some interest showing in that area.
04-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
PFH
Veteran Member

Both my K-5 and my K-7 works very well, no issues what so ever.
04-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-5 has over 36,000 shots with no issues.
t was purchased in March 2011 from Adorama and has been used for everything from street shooting to sports to formal social events, and goes with me on business trips too.
Most recently I used the wireless flash feature with the fgz540 flash for a niece's sweet 16.
Worked great.
The camera has become an extension of my hand. Here I am in a typical street shot pose.