Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Loving Photography All Over Again

Ive only had my K-5 for two weeks now, but thats all its taken to reignite my passion for photography. For the first time in a long time, I have the urge to spend every spare moment of my day shooting. As so many others have mentioned on here, the K-5 is that good of a camera...a real rarity! While Rupert may be nuts (pun intended...kidding ), his posts were dead on, and helped convince me to take the K-5 plunge:

Maybe You Better Loook Around
Still On The Fence?...Why?

The K-5 has also inspired me to share more of my photography. Ive been around on this forum for more than 4 years, but havent posted much and havent shared any of my images until recently. So many shots on here have been an inspiration to me, my hope is that I can be an inspiration to others in return.

The Patient Bullfrog

Shot at ISO 6400 with -1ev, then pushed 2 stops in LR. Had to balance the camera on the top of my shoe (which was half submerged in the marsh) to get it at eye level. 100mm WR Macro. No cropping.

Last edited by PentaxScott; 04-17-2012 at 03:00 PM.
04-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's where that WR comes in handy. Nice shot, and I'm glad you're enjoying your K-5 as much as I am.
04-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
my hope is that I can be an inspiration to others in return.
Consider it done, great bullfrog shot Scott!
Welcome to the K-5 club!
04-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice work!

I was never into nature photos in my previous life of picture making. But took up an interest in it recently. Have been out a few times this week shooting flowers and each time I noticed it is a relaxing, enjoyable and can yield a zen-like meditative state.

It is similar to other movement based meditative activities I enjoy such as mountain biking, skating, skiing, swimming, scuba diving and climbing. And although nature photography may not be as physically demanding as the foregoing sports. Photographing flowers can still get you into some yoga like positions. Especially if you have no right angle finder!

Now, not all areas of mind concentration yield relaxation. While the forgoing areas concentrate you mind, they can also relax it. I can't say the same for paying bill, doing taxes, bumper to bumper traffic or dealing with deadbeat workers. Such areas concentrate my mind as well, but they also burn my ulcer and are far from relaxing. So activities for me can be lumped into 2 camps. Ulcer relaxing or ulcer burning. ....Photography is ulcer relaxing for me.

04-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
NKK
Inactive Account

Great Pic - and happy you have reignited your passion for photography - that's what its all about
04-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just a sec this is ISO 6400? Pushed to 25600? Or shutter speed?

You can see yourself in its eye BTW.
04-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Wow! That is great!

04-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the feedback thus far

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Have been out a few times this week shooting flowers and each time I noticed it is a relaxing, enjoyable and can yield a zen-like meditative state.

It is similar to other movement based meditative activities I enjoy such as mountain biking, skating, skiing, swimming, scuba diving and climbing. And although nature photography may not be as physically demanding as the foregoing sports. Photographing flowers can still get you into some yoga like positions. Especially if you have no right angle finder!
Thats exactly what nature/landscape photography is for me - true relaxation. I find that when I am most relaxed I also capture my best images.

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Just a sec this is ISO 6400? Pushed to 25600? Or shutter speed?

This was shot at ISO 6400 with -1ev dialed in on camera so that I could get as fast as a shutter speed as possible (1/100) without introducing too much excessive noise. I then gave the raw image +2 ev in Lightroom making it an effective ISO 25600 image. I was banking on the great reputation of this sensor for that to work, and I was pleasantly surprised at the results! If I had tried this on my K10 (Underexposing a full stop in body and then pushing 2 stops in post processing at any ISO over 400) I would have end up with a bullfrog that looked as if it had rolled in colorful confetti.
04-17-2012, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for this thread. This gives me ammo for "persuading" the financing department and the board of directors.