Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Closed Account

Proprietary Remote Shutter Release

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, and sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't find any threads. Is there a proprietary remote shutter release for the K5? Or is there a preferred one of any brand? Don't really mind whether it's cable or wireless, just want to get something reliable! Any suggestions gratefully received.
Cheers.

04-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The IR remote might be proprietary (I don't know). The wired cable release is universal. There are even threads how to make your own one with a few switches and, a connector and some cable; e.g. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/50945-diy-make-cable-release-your-k10d.html and the schematic shows how simple (I know, that's relative) the 'interface' actually is.

Do a search here on the forum for diy remote and you can also find some info for IR remotes as well (e.g. using MP3 player or TV remote)
04-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Two models:
- Pentax Remote Control F, and
- Pentax Remote Control WP
The latter model is waterproof.
See:
Miscellaneous - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
04-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The IR is sold by Pentax in two flavors as pete noted but is also sold generically for about $1.50 to $7 all around the web. I've got several and like the two button model reviewed here best: LLC RM-E7 Remote Control reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

The wired remote is also available and there are Pentax models and generics as well. The 205 is the Pentax model and is reviewed here:
Pentax CS-205 Wired Remote reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

04-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
Hi guys

Thanks for the helpful replies! Have bought a JJC TM-C Multi-Function Timer Remote Control compatible with Pentax CS-205.
Looking forward to taking delivery next week and will let you know how it fairs.

Cheers
04-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use it wireless or wired : TW-282 timer remote control
04-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Also note, that one of the benefits of using a remote with a K5, is that not only can you use the remote for regular picture taking, but you can start and stop video with it.

With both the IR and wired remotes!

Why does that matter?

If you put your K5 on a jib (or away from you), you can start video without actually having to touch the camera and other cool bits.

04-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The "Select" button on the IR remote for my old Sony TV works fine as a wireless trigger for my K-5. Haven't tried it for video though.
04-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI: I purchased a Bower simple wired remote when my original Pentax unit when bust. The Bower was cheaper, seems well made, and works perfectly. FYI: some models of Canon, notably the "Digital Rebel" bodies, use the same pin design and contact arrangement as Pentax, so some Canon releases, and some after-market releases made for Canon will work properly on all current and many discontinued Pentax bodies .