Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
asb
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions!

I had inadvertently missed out the fact that I had set metering to "Spot". Was out taking pictures that day - found consistent underexposure with "P" - had switched to spot metering to see if it alleviated the issue.

Will try to use consistent settings between "Green" and "P" and post pics for apples-to-apples comparison - I'd be the happiest guy if the problem is not in the camera

Last edited by asb; 04-17-2012 at 08:04 PM.
04-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been threads elsewhere about whether anyone ever used "P" or Green mode. A few responders indicated that P mode, or hyper-P (where you can adjust the A or S up or down on an image by image basis) was very useful, but I don't think anyone used green mode (of if they did,not for very long). The fact that it has all these limiting default settings seems a good reason to avoid it.
04-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Not sure if you meant this as a harsh comment, but it comes across like one, at least to me. If the OP had deliberately switched from spot to pattern metering that would be one thing, but here was a case of changing from one mode to another, only to find that the metering and possibly the white balance had been quietly set to something else. Certainly a case of needing to read the manual, but even then one could easily miss the one key page and still be lost.
I don't see why you ought to see it as a harsh comment at all. There are limitations to using different exposure modes which are clearly stated in the manual. And even with the same exposure mode, there are likely to be definite differences when using different metering patterns as far as exposure and WB.
04-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
asb
Inactive Account

Original Poster
@MSL: Fully agree! Also the reason why I want to get the "right output" using S or A or Hyper-P modes on my camera..

I generally lean towards Hyper-P as it allows me to change pretty much all variables (S, A, ISO, Exposure Comp, Metering, etc.etc.)

04-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Weird Pentax thinking

I think that decision to override mechanical switch position in Green mode is, let's say politely, weird...
Could drive nuts anyone, when switch is set to Mode A and camera shoots in Mode B.
04-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The point is to make Green mode more foolproof - no inadvertant fiddlign with other buttons will mess up your picture.
04-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #22
asb
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi all, Happy to report that the issue was probably in the settings!

@MSL: I did go into Pg 103 to review the settings. Found two differences (1) white balance was set to "Daylight (must have been accidental while fiddling with controls) (2) Metering was set to spot

Changed both (white balance to "auto" and metering to "multi-segment"). Images have changed entirely - now the "green" and the "p" outputs are near identical.

Found an interesting behavior. In "Green" mode, the exposure lock down is instantaneous. In "P" mode, the camera hunts continuously for the right exposure - does not lock down until the shutter is pressed completely (usually hunting between the same exposure as "Green" and one stop less).

Thank again for all your inputs!