Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
And my point is that he is not evaluating the units AT ALL, as concerns their ability to be used as cameras. He is evaluating their aesthetics ONLY.
Actually, the only difference in the K-5 black and the silver is the color. The others he pointed out that the EVF had a bump to make it look like it had a prism. He had a valid argument that it didn't help form or function. However, Oly has done retro several time before including the e-p1.

The comment about the DA40XS was, as I understood it, saying that it was silly to take a lens designed to be paired with a very specific, design-centric camera like Newson's K-01 and pair it with a "vanilla" dSLR like the K-5. Again, all aesthetics.

I think the title of the post is a red herring.
The XS wasn't designed to be solely to be used with the K-01. The life of the lens will likely outlive the K-01. Plus, as I wrote several times already, most pix of the special edition actually have the silver DA 40 LTD on them (and occasionally the D 70 Ltd).

The paint job, love it or hate, doesn't change the form or functionality of the camera.

04-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #47
Pentaxian

While I do agree (and find it sad) that Pentax is often the target of false claims about how cheap it is, I would also like to warn against the allergic reaction Pentaxians often exhibit. Yes, people make stupid off-hand remarks, but lets not treat them like they are a part of a giant conspiracy.
I like to think that Pentax users aren't as toxic as certain other camera brand fans and will correct the mistakes without outbursts. That is the most effective way, as well as the most pleasant one
04-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Plus, as I wrote several times already, most pix of the special edition actually have the silver DA 40 LTD on them (and occasionally the D 70 Ltd).
Pentax releases second silver K-5 limited edition, adding slimline 40mm F2.8: Digital Photography Review

The original K-5 limited silver edition came with the silver DA40 Ltd.

The second K-5 limited silver edition comes with the DA40XS. The blog author was no doubt responding to the recent PR surrounding the release of the second limited edition K-5.

Also, while the DA40XS might work just fine with any Pentax k-mount camera, if you watch interviews with Newson or read Pentax's own promotional materials it's clear that it was explicitly designed (aesthetically) to pair with the K-01.
04-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Pentax releases second silver K-5 limited edition, adding slimline 40mm F2.8: Digital Photography Review

The original K-5 limited silver edition came with the silver DA40 Ltd.

The second K-5 limited silver edition comes with the DA40XS. The blog author was no doubt responding to the recent PR surrounding the release of the second limited edition K-5.
I haven't seen the 2nd version available in the U.S. except at PentaxImaging for $1599.95 with lens. I suspect it had a lot to do with the silver LTD being in short supply. Regardless, the black K-5 isn't a retro design, the prism is real.

Also, while the DA40XS might work just fine with any Pentax k-mount camera, if you watch interviews with Newson or read Pentax's own promotional materials it's clear that it was explicitly designed (aesthetically) to pair with the K-01.
Sure that is the P.R. on it. However, obviously the Pentax folks thought it was for other bodies as well, plus the went to the trouble of doing it up in silver. The PR on the FA 43 and 77 was for the cameras at the time as well. I would expect the 40 XS be around for the future replacements of k-01.

As far as the silver K-5 goes, I don't particular like the pics of it, and would certainly want to see it in person to make a decision of whether I like it or the black best given the price premium for it. Neither color effects its form or function. However, the 40 XS DOES add to the form and function. It is almost like a body cap on there. The only paint or color that could be argued to had function would be white since it keeps the camera or lens from becoming a "hot body" in the sun.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 XS Lens for Digital SLR

Ultra low profile is only 0.36 inches thin at 1.8 oz.
PENTAX KAF mount is compatible with current and past K-mount compatible cameras.

Last edited by Blue; 04-20-2012 at 02:00 PM.
04-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I haven't seen the 2nd version available in the U.S. except at PentaxImaging for $1599.95 with lens. I suspect it had a lot to do with the silver LTD being in short supply. Regardless, the black K-5 isn't a retro design, the prism is real.
A few things:
1. The new limited K-5 silver comes with the DA40XS only. That's how it's packaged. There is no version of the second K-5 silver packaged with the DA 40 Limited silver.
2. No one has called the black K-5 retro. The blogger in question called the silver K-5 special edition retro because it intentionally recalls older Pentax film SLRs.

QuoteQuote:
Sure that is the P.R. on it. However, obviously the Pentax folks thought it was for other bodies as well, plus the went to the trouble of doing it up in silver. The PR on the FA 43 and 77 was for the cameras at the time as well. I would expect the 40 XS be around for the future replacements of k-01.
As far as I know, there is no silver version of the DA40XS. Not sure where you got that one from.

Anyway, you've repeatedly demonstrated your inability to understand what I'm arguing, so I'm going to sign off from this thread now. See ya.
04-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #51
Site Supporter

A few things:
1. The new limited K-5 silver comes with the DA40XS only. That's how it's packaged. There is no version of the second K-5 silver packaged with the DA 40 Limited silver.
If you look up a few posts, you will see a pic of it posted from when BH was selling the silver with silver DA 40 Ltd.

2. No one has called the black K-5 retro. The blogger in question called the silver K-5 special edition retro because it intentionally recalls older Pentax film SLRs.
Whatever. It is a Pentax tradition. They did it with the K-7. The did it with the LX and even with some of the af film bodies.

As far as I know, there is no silver version of the DA40XS. Not sure where you got that one from.
There was a whole thread on it for a couple of months. Plus, PentaxImaging has had it up since it was announced.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/about/press/267

Anyway, you've repeatedly demonstrated your inability to understand what I'm arguing, so I'm going to sign off from this thread now. See ya.

ANYWORD

Last edited by Blue; 04-20-2012 at 06:33 PM.
04-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #52
Site Supporter

We're at 50+ posts on the subject now, so I'd say this guy's blog post was a complete success.

Bravo!
04-20-2012, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
at least the guy spelled PENTAX right...

04-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Does anyone else get really annoyed by the obsession with 'form vs. function'? I'm no designer, but personally I'm sick of function being the be all and end all of designing something.

I think the K-01 doesn't follow form vs. function, but I don't care because it looks cool (to me). I almost feel like the form vs function debate is just an excuse people use for not daring to try something really weird.

I don't want everything to look like an iPod I get sad seeing the old red-brick buildings in the North of England, with all their random pointless details that must have been really expensive and time consuming to make, and feeling like they have so much more character than the plate glass and steel things we have now. Surely there's some way to move design forward without simply stripping everything of it's personality?

And on a more related note, I rather like the silver K-5, and I dislike every Apple thing other than the iPhone 4 and the iPod video. Go figure, I wish my opinions would get huge forum threads dedicated to them.
04-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #55
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, he's a clod with generally wrong opinions :-)
04-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
I don't want everything to look like an iPod I get sad seeing the old red-brick buildings in the North of England, with all their random pointless details that must have been really expensive and time consuming to make, and feeling like they have so much more character than the plate glass and steel things we have now. Surely there's some way to move design forward without simply stripping everything of it's personality?
There's more to design than Bauhaus. The problem is that "design" is largely perceived on the west as equating to german modernism, with the epitome being - in industrial design - Braun or, today's analogous, Apple.

The parallel you made between red-brick and steel & glass buildings is perfect. If you have further interest, I recommend reading about Cristopher Alexander, which criticized modern architecture and it's disregard to human aspects. I also recommend reading about wabi-sabi for another viewpoint on "design" in the broader sense.

As for this thread as a whole... what was the objective? Raise pitchforks to "defend" the Pentax brand because the author said it looks like cheap plastic? First, it's stupid to get offended over brands. And second, I too find the silver paint job awful since it's textured. If it at least looked like the brushed finish from classic Pentaxes it would serve a purpose (of connecting the product to the brand's heritage), but instead it's a design faux pas. That's what the author is criticizing, and I give him reason, but that's all. Streching this thread into an "aesthetic" argument, or "form over function", or "he doesn't know anything about cameras" serves no purpose.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 04-20-2012 at 10:18 PM.
04-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Plus, we could always wear underwear on top of our clothes to be different as well.
Superman already does it... so its re-hashing old fashion...
04-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I'm bored being called into work on a Saturday to warm a desk on a beautiful summers day.....

So I emailed him and asked why he though the K5 is a "vanilla" camera? And if he knew it was metal. etc. etc.

I also gave in my views on VW as I work for VW and think the guys a humongous tool after reading some more of his blog.

to be fair... I'm sure others think i am an equally large tool when it comes to my blogs and opinions.

oh, and of note. I wish I could afford/find another K5, in Silver, and a matching 43/77mm limited lenses.
04-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Obviously, he is a Nikon and Apple fan.

I really like Apply stuff, like 10 yrs ago, when it is really refreshing. Now that everyone wants a piece of it, I hate it (especially many who use Apple product are not tech savvy kind of people).

Lee
04-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I'd love to make fun of everyone who posted in this thread. But I just read the whole thing and, oh look, now I'm posting, so I guess I'm in no position. :P