Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cheap shot at Pentax

I read a blog article today at

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/journal/2012/3/5/coffee-time-form-vs-functio...ntention.html/

about - journal - minimally minimal

There is a cheap shot at the K5 calling it a "Plastic Camera".

Not cool.

04-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Who cares?

They said it's ridiculous to paint a plastic camera (the external shell of the K-5 is polycarbonate) to look metallic, and many might agree with that. Personally, I think the limited edition looks nice, but it's just an opinion.

Taken in the context of the rest of the post it's not a dig against Pentax, but rather against the practice of trying to make modern cameras look "retro" for no good reason.
04-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's still a cheap shot. Also the external shell on the K5 is NOT polycarbonate. It's textured over the magnesium. BIG difference.

It doesn't help that a Pentax user is ignorant of that fact.
04-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, my bad. Parts of the exterior (on the rear) are poly, but the front and top are magnesium with powder coating.

Anyway, you're missing the point of the blog post in order to get worked up over a perceived slight. He's not trying to call out Pentax for making a "plastic camera," he's implying that all modern dSLRs are "plastic cameras" and that trying to dress them up like classic film SLRs is dumb. You can agree with him on that point or not, but to get upset over him namedropping the K-5 in the process is pretty much fangirl dementia.

04-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I read a blog article today at

Coffee Time: Form vs Function vs Intention

about - journal - minimally minimal

There is a cheap shot at the K5 calling it a "Plastic Camera".

Not cool.

Contact him by email and tell them it is texture over magnesium and that there is more magnesium shell than the Nikon D7000.

Edit: I just did as well

minimallyminimal@me.com

Last edited by Blue; 04-20-2012 at 12:09 PM.
04-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Who cares?

They said it's ridiculous to paint a plastic camera (the external shell of the K-5 is polycarbonate) to look metallic, and many might agree with that. Personally, I think the limited edition looks nice, but it's just an opinion.

Taken in the context of the rest of the post it's not a dig against Pentax, but rather against the practice of trying to make modern cameras look "retro" for no good reason.
Still a dumb comment regarding a weather sealed camera whether it is Pentax or Nikon D7000, but not necessarily a cheap shot.

This part was kind of weird also. I would expect it to come with the LTD. But it is a k-mount. Lens and a pancake so I don't see it as insulting since I would rather have it than the DA 18-55 AL II. I don't think the guy realized the K-5 had a real viewfinder.

QuoteQuote:
It’s also particularly insulting because the limited edition package comes with a 40mm lens that was designed by Marc Newson for his K-01 (bottom).

Last edited by Blue; 04-20-2012 at 12:09 PM.
04-19-2012, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I give up.

04-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nothing he wrote about cameras, computers or cars was either original or interesting. Having been through university, I know that sort of bull-s**t is pushed into young minds by design lecturers. Style 'A' is the only correct way, Style 'B' is philosophically bankrupt.

One day he'll wake up and get his own opinions and not those of his professors.
04-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Who cares?
I sure don't...i have a k-5 and I love it. If he wrote that the k-5 was the ugliest, worst camera on the market, I still wouldn't care.
If he wrote an article making fun of my mom, that would make me pissed...my camera, not so much
04-19-2012, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I think he's simply wrong about everything. What matters is that stuff works well and looks good. There are multiple valid ways to do that. Retro is fine.

The irony: I bet he's an instagram user. :-)
04-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
the irony: I bet he's an instagram user. :-)
rofl!
04-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

... but to get upset over him namedropping the K-5 in the process is pretty much fangirl dementia.
seriously?
04-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

this article gave me a good laugh !

He's studying design, and sill, he don't get why brand produce some retro production ? Come on ! it's all about attracting old user to new product, to surf on the good image of the rock-solid item that last for years (the complete opposite of today production, btw...), it's less about design and more about brand recognition (1st year of economy @college, btw ...).

About the design : what the fu** is wrong to re-use a design that worked perfectly for the past years ? See Leica : from film to digital, it's more or less the same design and the basic bouton are still at the same place, and that's good, because ergo is good too. Why change for something worst ?
Same for the OM-1 : the design is really good.
Idem for the K-5 : it keep going in a peculiar ergo which is reconize for year to be very good ! (on the SuperA and the MZ-5n, they ergo are not very far from the K-x nor the K-5.)

So yeah, retro can be boring, but for fu** sakes the design is good !
04-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Stupid article ...

Bonjour,

Blog garbage here concernng the K-5 ... not much else to add. Doesn't even pass the "sniff" test ...

Salut, JFrog
04-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, my bad. Parts of the exterior (on the rear) are poly, but the front and top are magnesium with powder coating.

Anyway, you're missing the point of the blog post in order to get worked up over a perceived slight. He's not trying to call out Pentax for making a "plastic camera," he's implying that all modern dSLRs are "plastic cameras" and that trying to dress them up like classic film SLRs is dumb. You can agree with him on that point or not, but to get upset over him namedropping the K-5 in the process is pretty much fangirl dementia.
Actually, I'm not missing the point. Form over function. He implied that the K5 has no right "looking" like a metal camera if it was not metal. Just like the OM-D had no right having a Pentaprism hump since it doesn't have one.

He was talking about a "fake" design aesthetic, and while the K-01 has some retro elements, it is nothing like the homage of the OM-D, - not even close.

Overall, a cheap shot at Pentax.