Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #1

iLion D-BG4 battery grips

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

Has anyone purchased the iLion D-BG4 replacement battery grip for the K-5? They are $98 on eGlobal Australia as opposed to $299 on Digital Camera Warehouse (an Australian discount camera store).

See:

iLion D-BG4 (DBG4) Pentax replacement Battery Grips :: For Pentax :: Battery Grips - eGlobaL Digital Cameras Online Store

Just wondered if Pentaxians had any problems with the non genuine part?

Thanks in advance.

Michael.

04-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never used a 3rd party grips for K-5, but I've used a couple for K20D.
In my experience, those work just as well as the genuine items with the exception of WR capabilities. But know that while some are direct copy for function, texture and its shape will differ. Also, some may have only a single dial and the shutter button.
04-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #3

I have a $70 eBay job, it has "weather sealing" but on inspection it does not appear to and it does feel cheap, the shutter release button does not have a real noticeable half press for focus feel to it, but it does do it, and the grip texture material is cheaply glued on so I can see that peeling off after a lot of use. But Overall it does the job fine and it was a heap cheaper.

I have noticed CR Kennedy the Pentax distributor is selling cheap gear on eBay with damaged packaging etc for quite cheap, they have a genuine D-BG4 for $250 on there at the moment, which I will probably get in the near future but the cheapo one is doing the job.

Also I noticed the one you linked has a lot of plastic pins which slot into the body, they one I got had a lot more metal parts and I think from my research this was the difference between a good copy and an average one. This is the one I purchased.
04-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
Inactive Account

All those aftermarket grips come from the same Chinese factories, there are only 2 versions of the grip, one with 2 screws in the middle (has plastic perts) and one with 3 screws (has metal parts). Buy the one with 3 screws,
it's more solid, has a metal plate in it for the mounting on a tripod and is made better over the 2 screws version. I bought mine for 41 euro (incl shipping) = 54 usd = 52 AUD. Don't let yourself fooled if they have a "brand" it all comes from the same manufacturers. Unless you buy a genuine one.

I don't go out in the rain so I have no need for weather sealing. It does the job for me and no problems with it.

You want to buy this version: Example:

04-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vorture Quote
You want to buy this version: Example:
I cant see Vorture's example. Anyway the three screw version has two sets of three screws arranged around the tripod screw like the image in this listing: Pro Battery Grip D-BG4 DBG4 for PENTAX K-7 Camera $63.40 Free Shipping @GoodLuckBuy.com

You can hover over the image to see an enlarged version.

From the photographs of the iLion one its impoassible to see how many screws are around the tripod screw.

Ryda has the genuine one Australian stock for $269 http://www.ryda.com.au/Pentax-D-BG4-Battery-Grip-p/dbg4.htm

Last edited by selar; 04-21-2012 at 02:03 AM.
04-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I cant see Vorture's example. Anyway the three screw version has two sets of three screws arranged around the tripod screw like the image in this listing: Pro Battery Grip D-BG4 DBG4 for PENTAX K-7 Camera $63.40 Free Shipping @GoodLuckBuy.com

You can hover over the image to see an enlarged version.

From the photographs of the iLion one its impoassible to see how many screws are around the tripod screw.

Ryda has the genuine one Australian stock for $269 http://www.ryda.com.au/Pentax-D-BG4-Battery-Grip-p/dbg4.htm

Indeed I posted the same one, that's the one you want to get.
04-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used it on the K7 and it works great. Bought from dealextreme.com http://www.dealextreme.com/p/external-battery-grip-for-pentax-k7-dslr-31967

04-21-2012, 03:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I was thinking about getting this one, comes with 2 batteries..

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
04-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I was thinking about getting this one, comes with 2 batteries..

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
I really would advise to take one with 3 screws, it's much better quality and more reliable.
Maybe this one will be more to your likings (scroll down the page to view the actual pictures): eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
I had the same box. (same grip as the K-7 for the K-5)
04-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I really would advise to take one with 3 screws, it's much better quality and more reliable.
Maybe this one will be more to your likings (scroll down the page to view the actual pictures): eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
I had the same box. (same grip as the K-7 for the K-5)

Yeap, that one does look a bit better in construction, I did notice that one I was originally looking at had a different pattern for the rubber grip and did not have the AA battery tray, but for 65.00 and for a second backup body I wasn't too worried, butthe one you linked to seems like a better deal.

thanks.

cmohr
04-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #11

Is this the good one?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It has offer option, so i sent an offer for 30$ and got a counteroffer for 35$
04-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
Is this the good one?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It has offer option, so i sent an offer for 30$ and got a counteroffer for 35$
On the photo it looks like the best "chinese" version with 3(6) screws around the mount and has the metal pins.
So go for it
04-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
Forum Member

This is the one I used when I had a K-7. I sold it with the camera but now that I have a K-5 I think I'll get one for it. The one I had before worked well.

The weakest point was the release tab for the battery compartment. It felt like it might break easy if you weren't careful, but never did while I owned it. Also the shutter button didn't have the quality feel of the button on the camera, but always worked as it should. Other than that it felt pretty sturdy and gave me no problems.

04-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #14

On the photo it looks like the best "chinese" version with 3(6) screws around the mount and has the metal pins.
So go for it
Thanks
04-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I have one of the third party grips - got it on Amazon for about $60 U.S. It's model MK-K7 made by Meike in China. Looks exactly like the one pictured at your link.

It's plastic but well made. It has a shutter button with an activation switch ring around it - turn the switch to unlock the buttons. It has AE-L and AF buttons, the "Green Dot" button, ISO and Exposure Compensation buttons, and front and rear data wheels. There are slide-in trays for a regular K-5 battery, and one for AA batteries.

There is rubbery stuff covering where your fingers and thumb hold onto it, and a large plastic thumb wheel to tighten/loosen the mounting screw. It also has the slots on the upper side to store the rubber contact cover from the bottom of the K-5 and the plastic cover for the contacts on the grip.

The K-5 does recognize the battery in the grip, and you can set battery priority to it and check charge level.

Overall it's a solid product. I've never held a real Pentax one, but at 1/4 the price I'll take this. Mine is the "two screw" version with plastic pins.

Last edited by ENicolas; 04-22-2012 at 01:53 AM.