Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atarget Quote
It looks that K-5 is too advanced a camera for many owners because - as I monitored alleged "malfunction" threads here - all of the issues are related to "user error" category, rather than any intrinsic camera problems. I'm still learning my K-5 and it's an amazing and technologically advanced piece of equipment and in 100% cases it was my incompetence that caused the issue
Not sure how user error could have caused my on/off switch to stop working really. Bear in mind I think my K-5 is as wonderful as a rat in a raincoat (wonderful to me, I love pet rats). This is definitely a malfunction though, as are the cases mentioned above where switches have stopped working.

09-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Comparing the number of issues with the K5 and K5-II, it's always the K5 that has problems not the K5-II (subjective observation). So, I also don't think it's user errors.
The K5 is of course 2 years older than the K5-II on average, but that cannot be a reason. Maybe batches that are produced in substandard conditions like inadequate training of personnel, or design flaws (corrected in the K5-II), or a combination. Only guessing.
In mathematical statistics it's called "pool sampling", Student's vs. Fisher's test e.t.c. Sample population does matter. The fact that K-5II is two years younger ,than K-5 does matter. If your read info pertaining to number of latter vs. number ofthe former model sold you'd come to the conclusion I expressed in my previous post.
09-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atarget Quote
It looks that K-5 is too advanced a camera for many owners because - as I monitored alleged "malfunction" threads here - all of the issues are related to "user error" category, rather than any intrinsic camera problems. I'm still learning my K-5 and it's an amazing and technologically advanced piece of equipment and in 100% cases it was my incompetence that caused the issue.
Just a general observation.
This statement makes little logical sense as powering down a camera, regardless of make, model or shooting mode, should not require one to remove the battery or open the SD card slot. I am curious if there is specific protocol you use when powering down your camera that leads you to believe that this issue is the result of "user error" and not the result of a camera defect? Might I suggest that a generalization about "user error" is not helpful to the OP or others reading this thread
09-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #19

Anything mechanical is prone to wear or even breakage and the rotary switch is just that. Send it back for repair. The SD card door interupts the power when open, it does it on mine so it must be to prevent the card being removed/inserted with the power on and so prevent the card being corrupted.

Even electronics can fail; either components fail, IC chips effected by static in manufacture/assembly can take ages to fail, software can be effected by bugs that only very rarely appear. Then there was the sensor stain issue on early K5's hardly operator error.

09-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Or as the salesman said to me when I bought my *ist..." There are more moving parts in this than there are in a car." So once again, all movng parts eventually fail. It's not a matter of "will they", it''a a matter of when. If you leave a car running on set of rollers, eventually it will fail without a user. If you put a camera on a tripod and set a device to continuously press the shutter, eventually it will fail, without a user. Claiming mechanical failures are the result of user error would be best classified as abuse of the victim and as such would be against the spirit of the site rules and user agreement. Watch yourself dude.