Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 won't turn off

Wondering if anyone else has any experience of this? My K-5 Won't turn off properly. If you turn the switch to the off position, it just stays on and remains fully functional. Every so often it'll actually turn the camera off, but then shortly after the camera will power up again by itself.

I've tried resetting the camera, and have left it overnight without a battery inside, but no joy. It's really irritating, seeing as any battery I leave in it will get drained overnight :/

I do have third party batteries, but this problem developed with the original Pentax one before I got these.

Any ideas? I'd rather not send it in again, but I'm probably going to have to.

04-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Remove the battery, which will cause the body to fully reset. Then slide the battery in and it should be good.

I too have a K5 - acquired in mid January. I was out with a photography class a few weeks ago and my K5 got stuck in bracketing mode. Anything I did, burned off another 5 frames. I pulled the battery and waited 10 seconds and slide it back in and its been perfect ever since.

04-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, a battery pull should do the trick. Be sure to upgrade your firmware to the latest version also, for the best stability.
04-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #4

did you actually read what he wrote

04-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Classic description of a short in the power switch. It'll require service.
04-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Wondering if anyone else has any experience of this? My K-5 Won't turn off properly. If you turn the switch to the off position, it just stays on and remains fully functional. Every so often it'll actually turn the camera off, but then shortly after the camera will power up again by itself.

I've tried resetting the camera, and have left it overnight without a battery inside, but no joy. It's really irritating, seeing as any battery I leave in it will get drained overnight :/

I do have third party batteries, but this problem developed with the original Pentax one before I got these.

Any ideas? I'd rather not send it in again, but I'm probably going to have to.
Reading - it's fundamental!

To the OP, as stated, sounds like you switch is bad and needs to be replaced.
04-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Dang... Well, back for service it goes then. I do make it work hard, bless it..
04-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After a bit of tinkering (I don't want to send it back again!) I found out this issue seems to be related in some way to the SD card door for some reason. Switching it to the off position doesn't power it down, but opening the card door will turn it off regardless of the position the power switch is in.

Leaving the door open for a few seconds and then closing it seems to keep it switched off.

Very odd.

04-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What happens if you turn the camera back on again? Do you have to go through the same SD card door trick to get it shut off again?
08-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Having the same problem now. It was fine last night, took it out of the pelican case this morning and it was ON in the OFF position. Took the battery out for an extended time and still the same problem.

I tried opening the SD card door and it did turn my camera off, but then it would not turn back on after I closed the door. I had to take the battery out, put it back in, and then it was ON again in the OFF position.

----geesh---
08-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I basically use the SD card door as an off switch now, leading to much confusion trying to turn my K-x off where this doesn't work. It is really weird, but I can safely say it doesn't really have much of a negative effect. Only that if it's in a bag it's very easy to turn on and fill a card with lovely black shots of the inside of a lens cap.

Still not sure what this relates to, I managed to wangle it back into behaving for a while some time ago but it's settled back into it's way again now.
09-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
I basically use the SD card door as an off switch now, leading to much confusion trying to turn my K-x off where this doesn't work. It is really weird, but I can safely say it doesn't really have much of a negative effect. Only that if it's in a bag it's very easy to turn on and fill a card with lovely black shots of the inside of a lens cap.

Still not sure what this relates to, I managed to wangle it back into behaving for a while some time ago but it's settled back into it's way again now.
It looks that K-5 is too advanced a camera for many owners because - as I monitored alleged "malfunction" threads here - all of the issues are related to "user error" category, rather than any intrinsic camera problems. I'm still learning my K-5 and it's an amazing and technologically advanced piece of equipment and in 100% cases it was my incompetence that caused the issue.
Just a general observation.
09-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atarget Quote
It looks that K-5 is too advanced a camera for many owners because - as I monitored alleged "malfunction" threads here - all of the issues are related to "user error" category, rather than any intrinsic camera problems. I'm still learning my K-5 and it's an amazing and technologically advanced piece of equipment and in 100% cases it was my incompetence that caused the issue.
Just a general observation.

There is an electrical problem within my camera and I will have to send it away to be fixed. After more examination the Main Switch, ev button, front e-dial, among other features as I step through the menu are malfunctioning. Absolutely nothing to do with user error as far as setting up the camera goes.
09-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Comparing the number of issues with the K5 and K5-II, it's always the K5 that has problems not the K5-II (subjective observation). So, I also don't think it's user errors.
The K5 is of course 2 years older than the K5-II on average, but that cannot be a reason. Maybe batches that are produced in substandard conditions like inadequate training of personnel, or design flaws (corrected in the K5-II), or a combination. Only guessing.
09-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Comparing the number of issues with the K5 and K5-II, it's always the K5 that has problems not the K5-II (subjective observation). So, I also don't think it's user errors.
The K5 is of course 2 years older than the K5-II on average, but that cannot be a reason. Maybe batches that are produced in substandard conditions like inadequate training of personnel, or design flaws (corrected in the K5-II), or a combination. Only guessing.
I have been using my K5 daily for almost two years, most days taking between 50 - 100 shots. My actuations are probably very high. It has been a great camera till now. I put it in a pelican case last night. The fit was quite snug but I didn't force the top to close. But, maybe it closed in a way that damaged the main switch. I am only guessing as well. I am shipping it off on Tuesday.