Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-5 not recognising 17 mm Pentax-M fisheye

My appologies in advance if this question has been asked before , I haven't searched the forums for the answer just yet ,but if anyone can steer me in right direction it would be much appreciated , My K-5 Doesn't have a 17mm focal length setting available with the camera Firmware 1.13 not sure with the previous Firmware version due to immidiate firmware upgraded as soon as I recieved the camera last week. I have enabled the Aperture Ring setting to "Permitted". It recognises all other focal lenghts on my prime lens except for this focal length . has anyone found a way around this problem.

So when I initially mount the camera on the Body and turn the camera on,, I am prompted to enter the focal length of the lens I am using...

Here is the 17 mm fisheye mounted

And the list of available aperture setting .. as seen 17mm is not there

say for arguement sake I do select 18 mm focal length which is the closest to 17 mm . that poses no problem , the camera does accept this setting , however the Pentax now doesnot know what aperture setting is selected on the lens in manual mode ok with a little bit of trial and error I managed to get a shot at say F8 with correct Exposure...

04-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, just select the next closest FL. 15mm and 18mm will both work. The only reason the camera needs this information is to determine how much the SR will compensate for camera shake.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Your situation is not so much a problem, when you consider SR is really only in effect when you get around 1/FL or slower. Have fun with that lens, and if you have a penchant for B&W, use the built in filters (a yellow and red, as well as UV and skylight).

Don't forget to use green button to meter exposure - it's very handy... also, I've been approximating "sunny 16" just to see how I do.
04-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Metering appears to metering the correct amount of light an feed this information back to the processor however EV bar tells a Different story , shots appear to be underexposed if an appropriate shutter speed and ISO value is selected an EV Bar is displaying 0 EV .

04-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

If you have not already, I strongly advise you to read this https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
04-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for that very useful link Matt , now I understand what you actually meant using the Green Botton , I had no idea why it was there obviously not for looks. both the DOF preview button or the green button works a treat . Taken a Couple of shots by letting the camera select the shutter speed and they are now correctly exposinng.