Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, if you use TAv for sports, Nikon has better solution - Aperture priority and minimal shutter speed in ISO settings.
That's a controversial statement. I would like to have that feature, but I wouldn't want to give up Pentax modes. Most dual system users I've heard from say Pentax controls are better. Some Pentax shooters prefer Hyper-Program to TAv for sports shooting. If you're shooting with a zoom, Hyper-Program would be better because it will adjust shutter speed as FL varies.

From the D7000 review at DPR:
"Auto ISO function is confusing and poorly implemented (but no worse than any other Nikon DSLR)".

From Viking79 in DPR Forum:
"I agree, I hate my D700 auto ISO because it is enabled in M mode (acting as a TAv). I like that TAv is available, just not how they implement it. Considering that the camera doesn't have a mode dial (they are all logical) there is no reason they couldn't have given it a TAv mode. Instead, I have to disable auto ISO to get to a true M mode, and I forget sometimes. If they made it easy to turn on and off auto ISO like on the Pentax I wouldn't care, but it is buried deep within the menus. At least I can make a custom menu and I put it in that so I could find it quickly.

Also, the auto ISO is annoying as it doesn't take into account focal length of the lens, so I have to go into the menu and change the minimum shutter speed for auto ISO every time I change lenses. If I shoot with my 180mm, I set it at 200, if I shoot with my VR lens, I set it at 1/50. Why can't the camera decide this for me like Pentax does?

Pentax really has by far the best auto ISO implementation that I have used."

04-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The result is the same, but there's no extra button click in TAv mode.
What are you talking about, the two wheels?
yeah but that's camera design but i never said anything about the wheels only about the mode.
04-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That's a controversial statement. I would like to have that feature, but I wouldn't want to give up Pentax modes. Most dual system users I've heard from say Pentax controls are better. Some Pentax shooters prefer Hyper-Program to TAv for sports shooting. If you're shooting with a zoom, Hyper-Program would be better because it will adjust shutter speed as FL varies.
Not controversial at all. For sports it's definitely better - focal length based agorythms do not work as for sports you usually require much faster than 1/FL shutter speed.

For everything else Pentax implementation was better, however Nikon added minimal shutter speed "Auto" value to D4 and D800, we have yet to see wether they did that to D3200.
04-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Not controversial at all. For sports it's definitely better - focal length based agorythms do not work as for sports you usually require much faster than 1/FL shutter speed.
You can change the algorithm a bit if you put it on fast you will get faster shutterspeed.

04-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You can change the algorithm a bit if you put it on fast you will get faster shutterspeed.
Know that, tried that. Not fast enough.
04-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Pentax did really well with the sesnor, they are scoring the best of the 3 using them (Nkon + Sony) so you should actually compare the NEX7 with the NEX5 for example, that might give you a more even comparison.
Overall there is very little between them beside the pixel count so it looks like a good candidate.
I want the next Pentax DSLR to ahve have an even better high ISO perforamnce ( and mcuh imrpvoed AF) - I couldn't care less about a higher pixel count unless it's for pixel binning purposes ala the Nokia 808
04-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I want the next Pentax DSLR to ahve have an even better high ISO perforamnce
But there is no sensor out there that does, at least not with Sony.
Atleast there is an improvement of something even though it's not the most important thing to most of us.
But lets wait and see shall we?
04-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #38
Veteran Member

But there is no sensor out there that does, at least not with Sony.
Atleast there is an improvement of something even though it's not the most important thing to most of us.
But lets wait and see shall we?
Better ISO performance will come. ISOmillions will be commonplace in a few years.

04-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ideally, give me a cropped 12 mp sensor that can match the d3s. =]
04-25-2012, 03:06 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Better ISO performance will come. ISOmillions will be commonplace in a few years.
A few years... we are talking about now thought.
04-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want the next Pentax DSLR to ahve have an even better high ISO perforamnce ( and mcuh imrpvoed AF) - I couldn't care less about a higher pixel count unless it's for pixel binning purposes ala the Nokia 808
You could always resize your 24MP to 12MP, and give them a sharpen. You could probably automate it in Photoshop. That would create really good 12MP images even when the original 24MP looked at bit ragged at 1:1.
04-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
You could always resize your 24MP to 12MP, and give them a sharpen. You could probably automate it in Photoshop. That would create really good 12MP images even when the original 24MP looked at bit ragged at 1:1.
Like most people I already export my pics to a size much lower than the original MP ( original size ). My current export size for viewing is 1400x1000. Lightroom is a much better app for this kind of thing.

High MP and pixel binning is about noise reduction ( better ISO performance ) though. I would recommend looking into the process. Also this thread/post links to a gallery of some examples. The gallery is in chinese but the full size view button is obvious. You'll be impressed given it's only a mobile phone.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/176969...ml#post1894558
04-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #43
Veteran Member

A few years... we are talking about now thought.
I know, I'll ust have to be be patient. I've invested in two K-5s. I'm not going to invest in two K-3s ( or whatever the K-5 successor is called ) if the jump is similar to the K20D -> K-7 jump. Just moving to 24MP isn't enough.
04-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #44

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I know, I'll ust have to be be patient. I've invested in two K-5s. I'm not going to invest in two K-3s ( or whatever the K-5 successor is called ) if the jump is similar to the K20D -> K-7 jump. Just moving to 24MP isn't enough.
I am grateful for your honest opinion.
This is exactly what i am concerned about. If the upgrade is not able to attract Pentaxians (as we all think 16 Mpx is adequate) to get one or attract new comers to Pentax, then Pentax will have a problem.
Let's hope Mpx will not be a deciding factor for new comers to Pentax.
04-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Jump from the K20d to k7 was even less, they uses the same sensor...
I didn't even bought the K20D because of his sensor, so k7 wasn't an option either.

I won't get a k3 just for the 24mp but for the manual video control and the "fixed" AF.