Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I hope that for aps-c we keep 16 mp and for more pixels we go to aps-h!

04-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At ISO100 my 5-year-old K10D still produces the best colors of any dSLR I've used. It is now a capture device for special MF lenses like the K35/3.5 on a tripod.

I've skipped all the bodies and senors until the K-01 - which truly produces an astonishing image with the 16Mp Sony sensor (and Pentax's special Imaging Engine pixie dust). AFAIC they can keep producing K-5's (with ergonomic enhancements) for several more years at declining prices and I'll bet they keep selling them.
Also still love my K10D as well but the K5 has his own magic but will get replaced when something betters will come on my path.

For most i think 16MP is a good number but there are some lenses that can take advantage of the 24MP though, the DA70 comes to mind.
Wouldn't mind having a bit more for in the studio and landscapes as long as the rest of the quality stays the same.
04-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally I am not sure the MP's are the best way to judge cameras. The Nikon D4 has a 16MP sensor and the D800 has a 36MP sensor. It seems as though there will be a lot of trade-off activity between 16, 24, and 36MP sensors for quite a while to come. I don't know all the technicalities, but I could just as easily be satisfied with any of them given that exceptionally good results can be obtained by any of them.
04-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
I enjoy my K5 and have no intention to switch brand.
I have been reading other camera rumour sites. It comes to my attention that Sony A77 is initially aiming to be a Canikon killer with its 24Mpx sensor at a budget price.
Nikon has replied with D3200 with 24 MPx sensor at 699.oo (probably half of A77) though of lower specifications. Is this the Sony killer? More than 50% of Sony fanboys believe D3200 will hurt the sale of A77.

I am interested in the topic because sooner or later, Pentax will come up with an update for K5. Wether it is FF or not is not my question.

If Pentax decides to go with the same 24 Mpx sensor in D3200 or A77 in the K5 upgrade, is Pentax able to match the Nikon or Sony price? Will you buy one if the upgrade is the same sensor as Nikon D3200 but priced as A77? Do you prefer the D800 sensor in the K5 upgrade?

I know there are lots of discussions about areas needing upgrade such as AF, QC issues etc. I doubt Pentax will produce a K5 upgrade without a new sensor.
There really is very little need to worry too much over all these.
The Canikony's can have a shiny new Wifi, Angry Birds time killer support, etc
I have Pentax lenses, so I will get the next Pentax body that suits my needs and when my K5 seems obsolete in comparison to that next model for the important thing (photo taking)

Be it 24, 36mp, FF, APS-C, SQ format of whatever, there isn't that much of a choice on these, as we just get pushed ahead (like it or not) by the mass market.
The only choice we can execute is to choose to buy or not to buy.

04-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
You'll also notice the even bigger more unwieldy files, greater high ISO noise and poorer dynamic range.
Bigger files: Yes.
More high-ISO noise and poorer dynamic range: No.

As Anvh explained, increasing pixel pitch decreases per-pixel performance, but the overall image quality is not affected (as more pixels compensate for the loss of per-pixel performance).

I guess the K-5 successor will have to have 24MP to stay competitive. An alternative RAW format would be nice that reduces the resolution to say 12MP but retains the full 14 Bit range. Unfortunately Adobe's new lossy DNG format does not cut the mustard (it is a glorified JPG format), so Pentax would have to come up with something of their own. I'd even be happy with some crude on-sensor binning reducing the resolution to 6MP. That's what I'm shooting now and for most applications that's just fine.
04-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #21

Original Poster
I agree 16 Mpx in the current K5 is more than adequate for me.
I like the Pentax system and want to see Pentax continues to make DSLR. I guess Pentax or other brands will need new customers to buy not just the DSLR but the system/lenses etc to make it sustainable.
Leica nearly went under with M8 till it released the M9. The new comers or customers was the reason the company turned around the corner.

For me, i will be attracted to any upgrade for Pentax K5.
Is it attractive and competitive enough for those looking for their first or new DSLR or camera will remain to be seen.
04-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

DXOMark shows the NEX-7 with the similar levels of noise and one stop lower DR than the NEX-5N. Colour and tone are improved on the new sensor. Andy Westlake of DPR said the NEX-7 has the best IQ of any current APS-C body. More pixels will allow a finer or maybe no AA filter. I believe Pentax will use the 24mp sensor, if not in the K-5 replacement, then in a new line of cameras above the K-5 level.

I shoot a lot of wildlife. For me, the ability to crop harder is a huge advantage, given a suitably sharp lens. I've already stopped using the DA 55-300 because it's not pixel sharp cropped to 14.6mp resolution. I have an A*300 f4 that handles 100% crops. I will buy a DA*300 or the new 560mm when available.

I would rather have a 16mp K-r replacement than the Nikon D3200 with its crippled features and no SR. OTOH, I have low interest in bodies with one dial and no TAv mode. There is a lot more to a camera than just the sensor, that's why the K20D is my main body and the K-x is the backup, despite the K-x's improved noise and DR.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-24-2012 at 06:17 AM.
04-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I have low interest in bodies with one dial and no TAv mode.
You missed something.
TAv mode is obsolete with the K-01 because you can have Auto ISO on while in M-mode.
Not sure if they will do it with DSLR line aswell but we will see.
However you beloved mode is still there.
04-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You missed something.
TAv mode is obsolete with the K-01 because you can have Auto ISO on while in M-mode.
Not sure if they will do it with DSLR line aswell but we will see.
However you beloved mode is still there.
TAv mode is not obsolete. With two wheels, you can change aperture or shutter with a click of either wheel and without taking the camera from your eye. That's a lot better than the K-01 can manage. Nevertheless, M-mode with auto ISO is is a great feature that I hope will be available on the lower-level DSLR.
04-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I prefer 24 megapixels

16 megapixels of K-5 are more than enough for me. I don't really need neither 24, nor 36 megapixels. More megapixels mean that I will have to buy new memory cards and - very likely - new hard drives. Therefore I would prefer 24 megapixel sensor, not 36.

And speaking about upgrade - I will upgrade my K-5 only to FF DSLR from Pentax. If such camera won't be released, I won't upgrade.
04-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #26

There is no reason to have such LARGE resolution. Except you have a very big screen to review or often print big photos.
04-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

TAv mode is not obsolete. With two wheels, you can change aperture or shutter with a click of either wheel and without taking the camera from your eye. That's a lot better than the K-01 can manage. Nevertheless, M-mode with auto ISO is is a great feature that I hope will be available on the lower-level DSLR.
Manual mode with Auto ISO == TAv.
04-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

OTOH, I have low interest in bodies with one dial and no TAv mode.
Well, if you use TAv for sports, Nikon has better solution - Aperture priority and minimal shutter speed in ISO settings.
04-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Manual mode with Auto ISO == TAv.
The result is the same, but there's no extra button click in TAv mode.
04-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #30
Inactive Account

24mp + weak AA filter + the usual Pentax sensor magic