Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Visible Dust Sensor Cleaners

Folks,
Has anyone used the Visible Dust brand sensor cleaners? Good, bad? It looks like the "orange" version would be suitable for the K5.

Thanks in advance.

04-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
By far the best available.
04-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i have a kit and used it about twice on my K20. it works well enough.
04-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I use several different makes of camera, and being a photographer that used prime lenses for 90% of my work, I change lenses quite a bit and because of that dust is always problematic. I Have been using an Arctic butterfly for on-the-fly cleaning and I also have several other brushes and wet cleaning products from visible dust and they are by far the best cleaning products I have ever used.

their products are expensive, but I consider it the price to be paid for piece of mind that the cleaning products that I use will not damage any of the components in my camera.

04-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried the green swabs on a used body I bought and the fluid didn't clean very well. I had to resort to some lab grade methanol, but the sensor was really dirty from pollution (or smoking). The swabs were nice though, and I still use them with a pec pad or kim wipe wrapped around it and methanol ,eclipse would do as well presumably.
04-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. In the process of waffling between the green and orange brushes, I found this extremely helpful video that describes those products as well as the process in detail.
In short, you want to use the orange brushes unless you have oil smears which warrant use of the green brushes first.
04-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #7

Visible Dust offerings are A+ quality cleaning products. I use "Visible Dust Plus" sensor cleaning fluid and 1.6x orange swabs. Very effective/safe for cleaning off a stubborn dust/pollen molt on my sensor. The anti static/dust agents in the cleaner dramatically reduced the dust build up on my sensor after cleaning. Using a Visible Dust lighted sensor scope to see where the dust is and confirm it has been removed makes for a quick process eliminating getting stuck in the tiresome retesting cycle.

The "Visible Dust Plus" cleaner is effective for both dust/molts and "mild" oil/?? smears. Orange swabs are correct for these conditions.

B&H sells Visible dust products---close to you. I would buy a box of (12) Orange swabs (1.6x) and a 8 ml bottle of cleaner--their small kits don't go far for the money---your choice. Good luck!

Last edited by jcp5; 04-24-2012 at 03:00 PM.