Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In camera HDR filter

Does anyone know what sort of algorithms the K-5 HDR filter applies to an image. I took a couple of flower shots yesterday on what was a pretty grey and cloudy day. Not surprisingly, the RAW images are flat as they come out of the camera, and I'd normally process them a bit to tweak the color and sharpness. On a whim I tried the HDR filter on two of them, and it produced JPG images with a good color balance and a bit of pop. (I can post samples if you want, but I haven't converted the RAW images yet). So I'm wondering if it is known what sort of corrections this filter might apply. It worked well when the flowers dominated the frame (and from images taken using the 18-55 WR lens). On a quick test of some much smaller flowers shot using a SuperTak + extension tubes, it didn't seem to work the magic to the same effect, although I only looked at the revised image on the camera view screen.

Thanks,
Marc

04-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What kind of answer are you looking for?
It takes 3 photos and use tone mapping, the end.
04-24-2012, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
What kind of answer are you looking for?
It takes 3 photos and use tone mapping, the end.
MSL is asking about the HDR digital FILTER - not the HDR capture mode.

But I belive it does do some kind of tone mapping plus a rather agressive contrast enhancement of sorts. I consider this filter a "toy" that I would never use for ordinary image enhancement.

What MSL could do in order to (try to) enhance the flat and dull pictures would be to strech levels in post-processing. This would result in something like this:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Stone G.; 04-24-2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: misspelling
04-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
MSL is asking about the HDR digital FILTER - not the HDR capture mode.
My mistake.

The clarity slider in lightroom does roughly the same trick.

04-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
What MSL could do in order to (try to) enhance the flat and dull pictures would be to strech levels in post-processing. This would result in something like this:
Thank you. This is the sort of answer I'm trying to get at. There are lots of sliders and handles and tweaks one could do to manipulate an image, and it isn't clear I'd ever replicate the HDR filter by trial and error. I haven't spent much time playing with the levels (more brightness, contrast and sharpness settings), so you've pointed me in a new direction.
04-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can do the same thing with curves however i'm not a real fan of using them...