Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-5 kit deal from Amazon Reseller (Sunset Electronics)

Has anyone ordered from Sunset Electronics via Amazon before? They have a K-5 kit with the 18-55 lens, and other misc goodies for $1043. The best price I've seen for the K-5 with kit lens fulfilled by Amazon is $1110 (doesn't include misc goodies). I'm not very interested in the misc goodies b/c I'm sure they'll be a bunch of crap, but just for the body and kit lens, the price is almost $70 cheaper than through a retailer that's fulfilled by Amazon.

And oh, shipping is free too.

Through their Amazon Reseller ratings, it seems fairly decent. 4.8/5 average with over 5000 orders.

04-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why take the chance when you can buy it directly from Amazon for $1110.57 w/free shipping?

Myself, I wouldn't take a chance like that for $67 - or 6%?
04-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I would stick with an authorized retailer myself. You don't want to take chances with that much $$$
http://www.pentaximaging.com/where-to-buy/#:
03-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #4

Last week I purchased a K-5 through Amazon.com (the seller was Sunset Electronics). The price was good ($699 w/free shipping) and I received the product in just 3 days after placing the order. However, I opened the box to discover the following was missing: operators manual, warranty card, & no other instructions were received except for a list of service centers, Also the power cord supplied for the battery charger was incompatable with standard U.S.110V outlets (i.e. the cord provided has two round connectors vs. the standard flat blade connectors).

When I called customer service this morning the representative was courteous and apologized. He agreed to forward the correct power cord, but his answer to my request for an original copy of the operators manual was "...the best I can do is to print a copy for you". So I contacted Pentax customer service this morning and here's a transcript of our "chat"

You have been connected to Matthew P.
Matthew P: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?
CAREY THOMPSON: My K-5 purchased from Sunset Electronics was delivered last Friday. When I opened the package I failed to find a hard copy of the operating manual. I contacted the seller this morning and was told the best they could do was to print a copy & forward to me. However I really want to receive an original manual due to the smaller size. Is there any way I can get a copy from you?
Matthew P: There is no way.
Matthew P: Im really sorry about this, but Pentax stopped giviing the hard copies away last year.
CAREY THOMPSON: I see. So even if I was willing to pay for a copy, I'm just out of luck?
Matthew P: That is correct
CAREY THOMPSON: Frankly, after a customer has just spent a considerable sum to purchase a brand-new product, that's a extremely poor answer from a manufacturer's representative.
Matthew P: I understand that. My best suggestion would be to return it and exchange it for a package that has everything inside of it before it's sold to you as the complete package...Pentax maikes sure we stock our packages with every accessory that is supposed to be in the box.
CAREY THOMPSON: Very well. I guess the responsibility lies with the seller. I can understand this-but still don't appreciate the lack of support for the customer who purchased your products. I'll definitely keep this in mind before I choose to purchase more Pentax products in the future.
Matthew P: Alright. So, do you have any other questions?
CAREY THOMPSON: No.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window

03-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cdtk10d Quote
Last week I purchased a K-5 through Amazon.com
So let's see......first you reply to a thread that is 11 months old. Even so, it looks fairly clear here that the seller isn't that good, but you still buy a camera from the questionable seller. Then you receive a likely gray market camera with missing parts, and you contact Pentax and blame them?

Really?
03-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #6

Wow!

I truly appreciate the warm welcome stormtech.

I posted to this thread after searching and discovering the title made reference to Sunset Electronics, the Amazon.com vendor I recently purchased my K-5 from. Just thought I'd share my experience with other forum members in lieu of starting a new thread for this purpose. I apologize if my posting to a related, if not recently active thread has offended you.

I purchased my K-5 through Amazon.com. In hindsight, I wish I had researched Sunset Electronics feedback before making the purchase, but since I've generally had positive experiences when purchasing from other sellers associated with Amazon I simply failed to do so.

When I called Sunset Electronics their customer service representative was courteous, apologetic, told me the camera body I'd purchased was not a "grey market" item and assured me it was covered by a full U.S. warranty. I can only assume if what I was told isn't true I should find out as soon as I attempt to register the camera w/Pentax. If so, I will make arrangements to ship it back for full credit within 30 days in accordance with Amazon’s generous returns policy.

Contrary to your assertion I did not "blame" Pentax for my failure to receive a manual with my camera, but simply contacted them to see if I could obtain a copy-even if I had to pay for it. Their representative's response was essentially "we can't (and are not willing to do anything to) help you".

You of course have every right to disagree, but to me the Pentax representative's response was not indicative of what I would consider to be a positive customer service attitude.

Last edited by cdtk10d; 03-26-2013 at 04:55 PM.
03-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry for coming off as rude cdtk. It's just that I've seen this so many times where someone thinks they are doing the right thing by buying from a questionable seller only to save $30 or so on a $1000 item.

My main point was - and I know I have a hard time saying this without sounding rude - is had you done the research you did to find this thread before you bought instead of after, you might have saved yourself some anguish. A story similar to yours seems to happen all the time, and it's a shame, but there are internet retailers out there that work in a questionable way. There are plenty of upstanding vendors available to us.

There is no registration with Pentax. The form on their website simply asks for your name, address, and serial number which is used for marketing purposes. If the serial number of your camera is that of a gray market, it won't make a difference when you enter it at the site. The only time where it would come up for question is if/when you sent it in for warranty repair where the serial number would then be checked.

I'm not trying to defend Pentax, but the associate that you chatted with must have assumed that you did indeed buy a gray market camera and didn't want to deal with you. That is probably why he said "can't" and "won't" help you. And, they probably don't have the printed manual available to them. I am surprised that they at least didn't offer to point you to their website where you can download a .pdf of the manual.

I purchase a lot from Amazon, and have learned one thing over the years - if you buy from a third party seller, make sure that the item shows it is "fulfilled by Amazon" - this gives you all the benefits of Amazon's return policy and others.

I apologize for coming off kind of strong at your post. I don't like seeing something like this happen to anyone, but in the internet world we do our business in now takes a little time with research first. I hope you can get everything straightened out and be able to get past it so you can enjoy your new camera.
03-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #8

stormtec.."sorry for coming off as rude..."

Apology accepted...and lesson learned stormtec.

I have been enjoying my K-5 very much in any case and right now haven't decided whether I will choose to return it for credit.

In any case Sunset Electronics' customer service representatives have shown far more interest in trying to "make things right" than I received from the Pentax representative I was in contact with. Listed below are two e-mails I've received from the seller:

(Sent Sunday 3/23/13)
Hello Carey,

We understand your concern and apologize for any confusion this situation may have caused. Please be advised, we only sell brand new equipment that is serviced under the terms of manufacturer's warranty. Please call us tomorrow, Monday, at 1-877-770-3131 for further assistance in regards of the matter at hand.

Thank you,
Sunset Electronics

(Sent Tuesday 3/25/13)
Hello Carey,

Unfortunately, I was unable to print out the manual for you. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Would it be okay if I send you a replacement battery and a charger to make up for the trouble instead?

The manual is available for download on the manufacturer's website.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Alex
SSE CS