Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #31
Forum Member

I just joined the club. Upgraded from my trusty white K-x (son gets that now). Took a a month to get here. But hey ... its here. :-) Also picked up my first accessory - wasabi batteries.

05-11-2012, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations! You will love every minute with it, it is a fine camera. If you get a chance at any Handsome Squirrels, Otis would be appreciative! Enjoy!

Regards!
05-11-2012, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

At $772 used from Amazon with 30 day return policy--was too good to pass up I had ordered it for $815 a month ago and the chickened out and canceled order a few minutes later. But now I am going through with it! I paid an extra $3.99 to have it shipped in one day instead of two, lol. So $776 total including shipping.

Very excited, I'll have it Monday!

Last edited by geekette; 05-11-2012 at 08:42 PM.
05-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #34
Veteran Member

So I got my K-5. It looks to be in scratch free physical condition. This is the first time I've ever felt or seen a K-5 in person and I must say it feels really nice in my hands compared to the Nikon D7000's I picked up in Best Buy. I also like the looks of it better. It looks more professional in my opinion.

So I need to run a series of tests to make sure I don't have a lemon K-5. Is there a thread on the forums that have a list of what all to check? Or perhaps a few threads that cover everything? I need to start checking everything out as I only have 30 days to return it for a refund--after that no warranty at all.

05-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #35

So I joined the club....for 24hrs! Decided to try the local brick & mortar. Went on Friday, told that there were 3 in stock in SA (big user base here!) Got phoned on Monday, collected it at lunchtime. Charged the battery. Played with it in the evening, then noticed the back display was flickering / flashing / inverting (and no, it was not the blinkies). Did a Google and found zero help. Gave it back lunchtime today. Now to wait to see if they replace it (which is what I would very much like) or repair it. Feeling very sorry for myself. How can you crash my fun! Very, very glad that I did not import. I hope that the service is good here...

Will let you know what happens.

Just for completeness: has anyone else had this? It appears to me to be a loose connection in the display. Sometimes it flashes on and off; sometimes it turns negative (whites look black; greens look red) and sometimes it slowly goes from negative to positive. Very irritating.

First impressions: very solid feel; very similar in size to my K200D; very quiet. Sorry, first impressions very short...
05-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Me too, a new K-5 owner...

Have had my new K-5 for a week now and I knew I would like it, but I didn't know that I would love It!

The K-5 is a big step up in many ways from my K-7 which already was a very good package. Still this leaves me with the K-7 as a more than good backup/second camera.
Also exanded my lens toolbox on the wide side with the addition of a Samyang 14mm/2.8, which seems very usable soo far.

The K-5 gives me a more responsive camera and a much expanded overall working range for my photography.

I think this will be a really nice summer photography-wise!
05-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Looks like the one I got was manufactured late last year with a serial number of 4241071. Looked it up in the serial number database and all the cameras around that number report to be in good condition. Hey LaurenOE my serial number is only 2 away from your's in the online database Once I've run it through all the tests--after I figure out what all to test--I'll input it into the database. The last image file was titled: IMGP9105.DNG--I guess this means it has over 9000 actuations?
05-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #38
Emperor and Senpai

To all who have joined the K5 club; You're going to love it!

05-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #39

Photos: Albums
How do I join the club? I am expecting delivery of my K5 next week.
05-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

you already did, you have K5 on its way to you!
enjoy it!
05-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I wish I could stay in the k-5 club but the used k-5 i got from Amazon is taking blurry pictures! With the same exact setup my K-X is taking much sharper images.

Unfortunately I am gonna have to send this pretty k-5 back to Amazon.

I don't know if it is a SR or mirror slap problem or whatever.. i was taking pics at 1/160th shutter speed an like f5 with very careful manual focusing on pentax-m lens.
05-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #42

I purchased a K-5 recently I am very pleased with the camera so far. I can complain about a few things like autofocus and getting blurry picture, but to be fair I should blame the photographer (me) and not the machine. Still in the learning curve, (just took off, seriously). Two things I don't understand is how to use the DOF preview button and if there is any "highlights screen" to show the areas of the image that are overexposed.
The forum is amazing, I am getting adicted soon enough
05-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #43

I got my K5 a month ago, and I'm very happy with the way it's performing.

I just love how the shutter sounds.
05-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm getting ready to join the K-5 club. I haven't decided whether I'm going to be a good girl and get some of my Canon gear sold before pulling the trigger or pull out the plastic and buy now. KEH has a couple of them...

Heather