Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Tim,
Yes, absolutely!

As for the moonspeak Pentax, then, first of all, I don't speak moonspeak (but from experience of dealing with Tokina Japan, it wasn't a big deal and we managed to settle it in English). And secondly - and the most important - they are the people who set the rules, incl that very artifical restriction for their customers to contact only local representatives. I believe I'll very politely, but emphatically be told to go duck myself contact Pentax Mordor (or Pentax Canada, or whatever I'll choose for my undercover).

From Mordor With Love,
Zig

04-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
The K-5's reguilar AF system is phase method using a half mirror and AFsensor in the bottom of the camera
Thanks for the correction Smeggy. I made a bad assumption on the methodology used, made the wrong guess. But, the point still stands that the lens is not part of the in-focus indication, whether the technology is contrast, phase or hybrid. The illumination of the in-focus is camera body.

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused - I should have done a search and confirmed method used, but I was supposed to be working!

Hey Zig, I've got to get some reconfiguration done on some software and get an upgrade tool running. After that is done & I have some time to sit and watch the upgrade manager status and reports, I'll see if I can get online w/ Pentax USA and see if I can get some info for you.

cheers,
PT

Last edited by Popeye.Tom; 04-26-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: complete entry
04-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #18

Original Poster
PT,

looking fwd to hearing you back!

Thanks,
Zig
04-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Zig

just to give you an update, and at least my perception, there is clerly something wrong with your camera, period.

I took my K135/2.5 out and focused it so that the image was sharp in viewfinder, and concurrently the AF hexigon was on. Considering how narrow the DOF is when focusing a 135/2.5 the fact that both optical and electronic focus agree is encouraging. The image also agrees, spot on focus.

sorry for asking all the questions earlier but you need to rule out the simple things right up front

04-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #20

Original Poster
Lowell,
no problem (although imagine what it's like e.g. to ask a car manufacturer for some specs regarding ECU intercommunications and being replied with some advise to start checking basic things while you're able to manually decode CAN-bus data). As I said I didn't buy that answer and from my understanding it was either false or there is indeed some easter egg in the algorithm which screws up AF assistant performance when using old manual focus lens. But I need to get some authoritative statement which I could use with those local folks to force them doing their work. Our conclusions (whenever they come from an experienced photographer, or an geeky nerd, or a quick-minded newbie), unfortunately, are not authoritative enough.
Mordor is so mordor, you know.

Cheers,
Zig
04-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm not sure how things are where you are at, but have you thought about recontacting your local Pentax reps? Are they going to be the same person? I often run across the type of people who essentially duck the question because they don't really know the answer themselves or they don't understand the question.

I'm also not sure that getting an answer second-hand from one of us on the forum whom has talked to a Pentax rep is going to help you out much unless you can get the repair done in the U.S. or wherever you get a Pentax confirmation from.

I've lately been using my K5 with manual lenses almost exclusively, and I find that the focus indicator is fairly accurate. I am getting way better results than I ever got using the focus indicator on my k10d. I generally don't use the catch-in-focus but if I make a decent attempt at hitting the middle of the focus zone, I'm very happy.

The answer you got really doesn't match up at all with the question you seemed to have asked. It makes me think that your local rep may not have understood your question or lacks the knowledge to answer your question. If the answer they gave you was true, then they shouldn't even have the focus indicator available while in manual focus mode(s).
04-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #22

For what it's worth, I also had similar problems with focusing using an M lens, but I've found that the focus indicator is much more accurate with a modern DA lens.
04-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Now that I got a Canon ee-S I realized how wrong the focus confirmation is with my M 50/1.4 and I have to try to fix it.
Udate:
-10 seem to be perfect.

04-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #24

Original Poster
emalvick,
The root problem appears to be that here in Mordor reps are not used to be client-focused. And we do not have plenty of Pentax reps here so upon my next contact with them it will most probably be quite the same person (I was told that it was he who was working with customers' requests and he can't forward me further to real techs since they're not allowed to contact customers directly) and instead of looking again into this issue he'll most likely piss off.

They won't be happy to hear me saying 'I contacted Pentax USA/Canada/Zimbabwe and they said the focus indicator must work well with both old pre-F lenses as well as later ones', but at least this should be a good point to force them really look into this issue. The best input I'm looking for here is some official Pentax Note/Claim/File/ServiceDoc which #ID I could refer to. Although, I do understand I'll hardly get anything like that here on PF.

PT,
you didn't have a chance to talk to your reps, did you? I'm still looking to hearing the update from you.

Thanks,
Zig
04-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Some pics of my findings with the M 50/1.4:
After changing the stock screen to the Canon EE-S I realized how wrong the focus confirmation was.

After matching viewfinder and AF with a setting of -10 I got focus.

Slight misfocus and motion blur is due to free handing but over 20 pics on each setting on different subjects (even tried different lighting) with every one showing the same thing i almost scientific. Also the DA 70/2.4 Limited made no difference.