Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Time lapse shooting advice?

Any advice for shooting a time lapse video? My daughter is a senior in high school, and they have a tradition of painting a mural on a storage building on the school grounds each year. I would like to make a time lapse video of them doing it tomorrow, using the interval shooting mode on my K-5. I donít know anything about this, so I have some questions. Iím thinking that I would like the resulting video clip to be maybe 30 seconds long? At 24 fps, that means that I would need 720 pictures. The guess is that it will take them about 6 hours to complete it. So 720 pictures over 360 minutes means I would need to set the camera to take a shot every 30 seconds.

Is there a setting in the K-5 to change the picture format to 16x9?
I would think it would be smart to take jpegs in one of the smaller resolutions?
I think I read that the exposure is fixed during interval shooting, is that correct?
Any guesses on how long a battery will last in this mode?

04-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Over 6 hrs, you'll definitely need at least one battery change or the AC power source. Be careful not to re-position the camera during the change. After the initial setup, you can turn off the instant review to significantly extend battery life, though. (Then again, it might be difficult to notice when the battery dies this way...) Small jpegs would be fine if you are worried about space; otherwise, just keep it at full resolution and downsample as needed. Similarly, you can use your movie-making software or a batch script of some kind to reduce to 16:9. I can't remember the exposure behavior, so I'll defer to others here. Have fun!
04-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I will plan on putting the grip on so I have an extra battery in. But since I only have two batteries, I wonder if I should plan on not using the grip and just changing it manually say 3 or 4 hours in so I can bring the first one home to charge it. If I go through 2 at one time, no time to re-charge and I'd be stuck. Things I've thought of:

Turn review screen off to save battery.
Manual focus
manual exposure?

If HD movie resolution is 1820x1080 or whatever it actually is, does it help at all if file sizes are bigger than that? I'm thinking the computer will be much happer dealing with the lower res files, and don't want to make this take any longer than necessary.
04-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Turn off everything - SR, review, metering, af, horizon correct, lens correction -everything.

If you're just using them for the time lapse you might as well shoot at 2mp as that is more than 1080p. Unless you have a more powerful computer than me to downsize them all.

Just thought though, the light will change in the day, so you might be best using TAv so the DoF and movement blur is consistent? Remember to cover the eyepiece or the meter will be all over the place.

I'm pretty sure the camera semi powers down between shots so I'd have thought two batteries would cover it easily.

04-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey,
Quelques conseils pour vos premiers time lapses | La Belle LumiŤre

Regards,
Arno
04-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Manual white balance as well....
04-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all,

Thanks for the help. The event was actually Sunday. It seemed to go pretty well. The only thing I forgot was to set the white balance manually. Luckily for me, it was a Sunny day, and the exposure was from about 10:30 to 3:00, so the light temp should have been pretty constant throughout.

I used the second lowest resolution setting (6MP). I changed the battery 3 hours in, the battery meter was still measuring full at that time, so I'm not sure how long it would have lasted. I got a preview of what the final product might look like by putting the camera in playback and keeping the right arrow button pressed in. Looked really interesting to me. My daughter is very good with making videos from pictures, so it's in her hands now. She uses Sony Vegas. I told her that there should be shortcuts in certain eding programs to handle this better than the manual method she is used to.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
04-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jake, If you can please post the result, I for one would like to see it. I'm hoping myself to do some time lapse video of flowers opening.

NaCl(I think day lilies would be fun in time lapse)H2O