Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Camera performance degrades with battery level?

It seems that the K-5's performance, most visibly in in-body AF motor speed but also burst rates, decreases with the battery level. This behavior has not been observed in the K-r. Is this normal?

--DragonLord

04-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well my black K-5 does do a more hi framerate with a fresh charged battery, I reported earlier somewhere here. So in that case it could be lower when the battery goes dry. Never put attention to it.
04-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right now this is a myth which needs to be scientifically confirmed or denied. Li-ion battery voltage shouldn't drop enough to slow down the motor, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Looked it up, did that test some time ago and I did teh clock on my laptop. Did it three times and came to the same conclusion. So It's about 9 fps or just a little less. This was not the case with my K-5 Silver on a fresh charge.

De K-5 is wat wisselend in snelheid van het nemen van foto's in Hi-speed continu fotograferen. Op zich niet zo heel erg en er zijn wel meer merken waar er enige variatie in zit. Geclaimd wordt 7 fps, iets wat denk ik met de eerste firmware ook wel was. Daarna is hij ietsje langzamer geworden, kan bewuste keuze zijn. Nu deed ik de schrijftest voor Fré, over hoe lang het duurt voor het wegschrijven van foto's. Kiekjes gemaakt van mijn laptopje met klokje.

Als ik goed tel dan kom ik tot 9 fps! Of net ietsje minder, tenzij mijn klokje niet goed is

04-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With a slightly discharged grip battery and fully charged body battery, using the grip battery causes the AF motor to run slower than with the body battery. Full performance is restored when the battery is recharged.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 04-27-2012 at 04:10 PM.
04-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Right now this is a myth which needs to be scientifically confirmed or denied. Li-ion battery voltage shouldn't drop enough to slow down the motor, though.
The battery meter in the camera work by voltage so if the voltage drop the meter drop as well and you see it dropping if you turn on liveview for example.

No idea if it also influence other systems but many that use the Km, Kx or Kr with batteries say that if they use for exampl lithium batteries instead of nimh that they see a preformance increase.
But the differnce there is probably great then what you ever will see with li-ion.
04-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would call it less a myth than an observation and a possible hypothesis for testing. I have certainly seen the autofocus degrade in my K-5 when the battery is low; it comes right back when you put in a fresh battery.

One related issue is that the battery meter on my K-5 indicates full charge almost right up to the time the camera doesn't work.