Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unhappy.... Stuck pixels in video.

I planned on using my k5 to do some short movie stuff, in fact I find myself doing more and more movie orientated stuff with friends or helping in community projects.

One thing I noticed is that my k5 has 3-4 stuck pixels when recording in movie mode, I have used the pixel refresh and the pixels are not there in my images.. infact I can remove the stuck pixels from my movie mode too if I first use a photographic mode, enable live view and then switch to movie mode.

It is a real pain as if I forget to do to this switching (which in itself is a pain) I end up with footage that is useless, I planned to use the camera along with some gh2's with my friends on some short movies now that the first movie we made has came to and end and the website just went live. (recorded on a canon xl2, everyones first time at doing something like this and done in peoples spare time without a budget... A YEAR AND A DAY - Scottish Film Home )

I called pentax about it and I was told I would have to send the camera to them and possibly have to pay to get a sensor replacement if that was indeed the problem, I bought the camera at the end of 2010 and not from a pro dealer so I don't get the 2 year warranty apparently.

But still.. paying 1000 for a defective unit and being told I would have to pay to get it repaired has really upset me, I expected a bit more support than this and in all honestly though it would have been fixed in firmware by now (since its a bug in there pixel mapping feature not working in movie mode with out doing the live view switch).

I'm currently in the processes of looking at studio space's and find my self wondering if I really want to build my business using a camera from a company that doesn't seem that interested in helping its customer... Sigma replaced a flash that went dead for me after eighteen months and without proof of purchase too, I guess I expected Pentax to be more helpful considering paying almost 5x the amount for there product.

I love my pentax camera and lens too..

04-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most (all?) sensors have some defect pixels, so I don't understand why Pentax proposes to replace the sensor. You'd most likely just get a sensor with hot pixels in another place.

It's too bad that pixel mapping isn't on by default in movie mode.
04-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That is a great video, a bit hard on the english
04-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is a great video, a bit hard on the english
Thank you.. I was the video guy for 99% of the film (which isn't quite out yet) and learned a tone of stuff as well as having fun with it.. and looking forward to doing the next set of shorts just sad that my k5 isn't upto doing it .

The reason for the "heavy English" is because we wanted to stay true to the Glasgow way of speaking and I can understand if it could be difficult for people in England never mind the rest of the world to understand