Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Am I stressing out the camera AF too much?

So, today, as a cheap b*stard, I came up with what I thought a great idea for a portrait lens.

I have been considering a Samyang 85mm f:1.4 for a while, and I have basically got talked out of it in lieu of the Pentax 85, or a FA 77 even - except, now a portrait lens basically got moved out of my immediate reach for a while. Then I looked into a Tamron 90 f:2.8, and almost got it except now I was 5mm and a couple stops off, and still cost a lot of money. So, I tried a 2x TC and was quite pleased with the results - for only $25!

So I plugged it happily at the end of my FA 50 1.4 (so, I am now 15mm off, but can live with that), and got plenty of light to lose, and still keep the shallow DOF).

But here is my worry - the quality Olympus TC I got weighs almost as much as the FA 50 itself, and basically doubles the length of the lens. When I tried in a quiet environment, I found the AF sound to be quite louder than the bare FA 50 alone. Now I am wondering if the TC is putting undue stress on the AF screw (not to mention the front plastic tube of the lens), or whether the loudness is because I plugged in to what amounts to a huge resonating chamber to the lens.

Any ideas?

04-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Forum Member

I say it wouldn't based on the assumption that the screw drive can still focus some of those massive telephoto lenses that I'm assuming way a lot more than that TC+50mm however that's just a whole lot of assumptions.
04-29-2012, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What's magic about 85mm? Dump the TC... Work with what you've got... Your 50 should produce pleasing results, alone... Just get closer to your subject, or crop during pp.

...my 2 cents...
04-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
What's magic about 85mm?
It's could be in my mind, but it doesn't mean the differences are invalid.
When shooting portraits of strangers on the street, 50 is too short as I feel uncomfortable with getting in peoples faces.
With a 300 I feel like a pervert.
~80-90 feels like I can take pictures without disturbing people, but also not hiding behind the bushes.

04-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Bigma has never stressed any of my bodies.....including the K5. My favorite lens for portraits is the DA*50-135...perfect for whatever range you need! However, at the new prices, you will need to sell your home and at least one auto to get one.

Regards!
04-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My Bigma has never stressed any of my bodies.....including the K5. My favorite lens for portraits is the DA*50-135...perfect for whatever range you need!
yes excellent choice. I'd still liek a Sigma 85/1.4 though ( I Love my sig 30/1.4 )

QuoteQuote:
However, at the new prices, you will need to sell your home and at least one auto to get one.

Regards!
You mean those prices that Mr Ned From Pentax claims they havent' increased? :evil::evil::evil:
05-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

1) Big lens does not over-stress the AF screw.

2) One or more TCs do not over-stress that screw.

3) My fave way to get ultra-thin DOF headshots is to put my Sony VCL-1546A front-loading 1.5x TC onto my K50/1.2 (for 75/1.2 MF) or FA50/1.4 (for 75/1.4 AF) or Tomioka 55/1.4 (for 82/1.4 MF). The front-loader doesn't eat light like a rear-mount TC, doesn't unduly impact IQ, and was real cheap. Although I like using slower glass there too, like a 75/3.5 enlarger lens on an M42 focusing helicoid. Around 80/3.5 is best for modeling facial features IMHO.